new to the site and metal detecting hobby

bluedragon2k9

Greenie
Oct 30, 2013
ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i am a newbie to the site just made an account last night been reading a bunch of posts for the past few days.
I have just got interested in the metal detecting hobby.I am looking to buy my first metal detector ever and it looks like due to funds i am goign to be stuck with the bounty tracker iv from hobby lobby.
I have read mixed reviews on here about this unit.SO im hoping ill be able to actually get a good start in the hobby with it.
I have went on a few hunts with some friends basically just helped them dig and thats what has sparked the interest in me to try it out for myself.
So im looking for some tips and opinions on the bounty tracker iv that i will be ordering and any tips on where i should be looking for coins and etc.
thanks for taking your time to read my rambling.Looking froward to the tips from you guys.

Upvote 0

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
B

bluedragon2k9

Greenie
Oct 30, 2013
ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea I planned on keeping everything i dig, be trash or treasure, figure like you said it will all add up eventually.Probably take a duffel bag with me to store all it in or something.Yea I wanted to make sure I had the plug thing down before I go and dig somewhere other then my own yard.I do not want to hurt the hobby by leaving craters in the ground all over the place.and by keeping all scrap and etc that I dig up might speed up the process of me being able to upgrade my machine.Plus if i come back I wont have find it again and it will be better for the environment getting all that trash out of there.

KennyD

Apr 25, 2013
Belleville, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3, Tesoro Vaquero, Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to a fantastic hobby bluedragon! I too started with a Bounty hunter. It's a fine machine to get addicted to metal detecting that's for sure!

Garrett GTI 1500

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you can just use a cheap nail apron many guys that's all they use...

OP
OP
B

bluedragon2k9

Greenie
Oct 30, 2013
ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the suggestions guys, well the shipping is goign to be late so it might be a few days after the 5th when i get my detector waiting on it is killing me lol

OP
OP
B

bluedragon2k9

Greenie
Oct 30, 2013
ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well looks like im in for a horrible wait ebay seller said he would ship on the 1st didnt then the second didnt happen , and now he saying latest would be today and still has not shipped he lacks communication pretty bad to.Takes days to get a response from him.don't knwo what to do here.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cancel the order and buy a detector from Bart at BigBoysHobbies on here. You will have it in about 2 days and cheaper than you will find on eBay.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Welcome to the forum!
I started with the BH you mentioned in the first post! It was easy to use and I started findings coins immediately with it!
Good luck and HH!

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good Luck with your new Discovery 2000 detector. Welcome to the hobby.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As said welcome yo the hobby its alot of fun & can get expensive quick like anything else I had a radio shack 2500 way back great little machine pretty much similar to the one ur using now ull find lots good luck & learn ur machine well more u know more yall find

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your ebay seller sounds like a real bummer. I have had at least one bad ebay seller like that but finally did get my purchase item. Good Luck

OP
OP
B

bluedragon2k9

Greenie
Oct 30, 2013
ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well just an update he finally did ship, this has to be one of the worst sellers i have ever come across.the item is close to me should get it monday for sure if not tuesday the wait has been killing me but its just about over.i been researching while I wait and got a few nice spots to check out when it does get here though.

OP
OP
B

bluedragon2k9

Greenie
Oct 30, 2013
ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got it in the mail today the detecter looks good no scratches or anything took 12 days to get it which is real ad on the ebays sellers part but oh well.I am going to try and do some hunting tomorrow morning.

Garbagebill

Nov 1, 2013
San Joaquin valley Ca.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics gamma 6000/Detech 13" Ultimate DD Coil
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Buzz Wilson Bomb Sheath/Lesche digging tool/Black Widow headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck tomorrow, I'm about as new as you are to the hobby, just wanted to say, don't get frustrated. Lol, just keep going. And also as soon as you can buy a pro pointer, they are life savers! I can't tell you enough how much digging it will save you, I found myself digging in the wrong direction and would have kept right on going if it wasn't for the Propointer. But that can be later down the road, enjoy your first hunt! HH

OP
OP
B

bluedragon2k9

Greenie
Oct 30, 2013
ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well just got in from my first ever hunt.I did my yard to start out with and i am not done with it yet.I figured best place to start learnign how to do them plugs!
anyways i found some toy metal cars, what looks lik a bullet , and some scrap metal.As well as some old fishing sinkers.I found a good bit of coins to.I added a photo of the coins.Can someone tell me what im looking for coin wise that is worth a bit?or a site that can help me learn about coins? anyways i think i did pretty good with this discovery 2000/bounty hunter for the first time using it.
what you all think?

DSCF1616.JPG

Garbagebill

Nov 1, 2013
San Joaquin valley Ca.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics gamma 6000/Detech 13" Ultimate DD Coil
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Buzz Wilson Bomb Sheath/Lesche digging tool/Black Widow headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG not bad for your first hunt. Blows away my beer bottle cap on my first try. HH

Hawk'n Dirt

Sep 6, 2013
Humble, Tx
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Ace 250
TC3X
BH Texas Pilot
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice Bluedragon.....

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to hear you got your machine and have taken it for a test drive. Hopefully, the weather will stay warm enough for you to get a chance to really put it through its paces.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread