new to the site and metal detecting hobby

bluedragon2k9

Greenie
Oct 30, 2013
ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i am a newbie to the site just made an account last night been reading a bunch of posts for the past few days.
I have just got interested in the metal detecting hobby.I am looking to buy my first metal detector ever and it looks like due to funds i am goign to be stuck with the bounty tracker iv from hobby lobby.
I have read mixed reviews on here about this unit.SO im hoping ill be able to actually get a good start in the hobby with it.
I have went on a few hunts with some friends basically just helped them dig and thats what has sparked the interest in me to try it out for myself.
So im looking for some tips and opinions on the bounty tracker iv that i will be ordering and any tips on where i should be looking for coins and etc.
thanks for taking your time to read my rambling.Looking froward to the tips from you guys.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

bluedragon2k9

Greenie
Oct 30, 2013
ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2nd hunt completed yesterday found some more coins oldest was a 1974 penny.I think im on my way to being addicted.I also found a good bit of fishing sinkers, and toy cars.

DSCF1618.JPG

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesnt take much to become addicted to detecting. Hobby should come with a warning lable will be very addictive warning

OP
OP
B

bluedragon2k9

Greenie
Oct 30, 2013
ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunt 3
found 54 more cents a quarter 2 dimes and some more pennies oldest being 1967 i believe.
Highlight was finding a zippo lighter going by date marks looks like it was made in 1992.

DSCF1623.JPG DSCF1625.JPG DSCF1626.JPG

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hooked ur done lol ur doin good bud best thing u could be doin learning ur machine doin nice plugs more ya learn more the finds better ones increase try out waving some bits of gold & silver passed the coil ear rings,chains,coins,rings,some gold will ring as foil & u may just think ah junk could be gold same with pop tops ringing in as silver coins there are so many variables especialy when it comes to learning a new machine but ur doin good

Garbagebill

Nov 1, 2013
San Joaquin valley Ca.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics gamma 6000/Detech 13" Ultimate DD Coil
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Buzz Wilson Bomb Sheath/Lesche digging tool/Black Widow headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dude! Your killing it!! WTG! I'm finally going to get some time to go this weekend, hopefully I'll have my machine figured out a little more. Going to hit a couple playgrounds and then spend some time in my backyard. Keep after it dude! HH

Lynn Wilson

Nov 12, 2013
Murfreesboro, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, like you I am new to the hobby as well as this website. I am amazed at how much you found in your first three hunts. Was all of this just from your yard? I won't have my BH until Christmas, so I will be rooting for you until then. Great job!

I was wondering about a few things--either you one of the old timers can answer these questions: Are you keeping any sort of records as you hunt--a grid map of your yard to know what you found where? Do you have some way to keep track of what part of the yard you have yet to search? Are you saving the junk metal for recycing? Are you keeping track of the dates you have found for each type of coin? (Okay, so blame it on the fact that I am a librarian to explain why I would even think about wanting to keep records of my MD!)

Anyway, keep up the good work!

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Lynne - I have kept some notes on finds but to be honest it gets hard to do with the all trash and your hands being dirty etc. Plus when things get interesting, like when you find an older coin, documentation takes a back seat. I do use a grid method then I find interesting items. Take the larger area and break it down into 20'x20' grids. Then I track grids that I've searched. With a newer site that I haven't searched, I am more random until I find something. Oh and I will search gripes a couple of time - north/south, east/west, etc. sometimes you can get better hits depending on the direction you're swinging the coil.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread