new to the site and metal detecting hobby

bluedragon2k9

Greenie
Oct 30, 2013
ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i am a newbie to the site just made an account last night been reading a bunch of posts for the past few days.
I have just got interested in the metal detecting hobby.I am looking to buy my first metal detector ever and it looks like due to funds i am goign to be stuck with the bounty tracker iv from hobby lobby.
I have read mixed reviews on here about this unit.SO im hoping ill be able to actually get a good start in the hobby with it.
I have went on a few hunts with some friends basically just helped them dig and thats what has sparked the interest in me to try it out for myself.
So im looking for some tips and opinions on the bounty tracker iv that i will be ordering and any tips on where i should be looking for coins and etc.
thanks for taking your time to read my rambling.Looking froward to the tips from you guys.

Upvote 0

locater

Aug 13, 2013
Great Lakes State
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Whites GMT, BH Platinum w/ Fisher F5, 11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the hobby bluedragon2k9. Can't help you much with the tracker iv, never used one. A good place to start detecting is playgrounds and ballfields/parks. Mostly newer clad coins and occasional jewelry. Finds are mostly closer to the surface. Good way to get to know your machine and how it reacts to different coins and also junk. Make sure you overlap your coil swings to get full coverage with the concentric coil of your machine. Good Luck, hope you enjoy the hobby.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
1st - Noticed this is your very first post. So, welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA).
reading_01.gif
2nd - You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting your state for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
reading_01.gif
3rd - You might consider browsing Forum > Metal Detecting Forum > Brands > Bounty Hunter for information about your Bounty Tracker IV.
4th - Please consider buying your Bounty Hunter from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to metal detecting 101. :hello: The folks here are just the best and I am sure somebody will be able to help you and who is familiar with your detector.

krymesolvr93

Oct 27, 2013
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome aboard from the Granite State. :hello: I always say to myself "Start out small and work your way up." I started with a bounty hunter I got at Wal-Mart years ago. It worked great, first coin was a wheat cent! In my own yard!:hello2: Now I have a Garrett Ace 250 and it is one of the best detectors you can get for only (obviously) $250. Trust me, that is one of the cheaper ones but the power of it is just unbelievable. I wish you the best of luck and hope to see some of your finds on the site in the future.

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!!!
I started with a Bounty Hunter and they are good machines, you will be fine.
One thing I have learned with this hobby is to dig everything with your new machine. Learn it's language. Once you discover the dig, pass it over the coil again so you can match the tone.
Invest in a Garrett Pin Pointer, it's awesome and will simplify your dig and you won't be digging like a gopher :)
Be patient and don't believe that someplace is hunted out, people hunt differently and usually in only one direction.
Swing low and slow and work a grid pattern and you will learn your machine!
Good Luck and have a Great Time!!!!

Hawk'n Dirt

Sep 6, 2013
Humble, Tx
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Ace 250
TC3X
BH Texas Pilot
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I purchased a Bounty Hunter MD at a pawn shop for my Grandson while I was waiting on my first MD, a Garrett 250 to arrive. I had never swung a metal detector in my life. That little Bounty Hunter was a blast and it completely hooked my Grandson and I in about 15 minutes. Now we have 3 metal detectors, a bunch of gear and plan on buying an AT Pro at the end of November......Oh, I have only been at this for about 7 weeks or so...LOL....So, you will have fun with the Bounty Hunter......

Welcome to your new addiction!

HH

LootHunter

Oct 7, 2013
Orange County, CA
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My first detector was a Bounty Hunter as well. I loved using it at the parks and on the dry beach sand. Took me a little while to get the controls down since I was new.

To start I would not mess with discrimination and as you get better with it you can start to discriminate out certain items.
Also, depending on the area, keep the sensitivity as high as possible without falsing (detector makes a sound but there is no target).

Start with anywhere that has sand or easy to dig areas so you can practice locating targets and digging will be easy.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to this wonderful hobby! Looking forward to seeing your finds! HH and best of luck. Check out the new member info in the forum too.

OP
OP
B

bluedragon2k9

Greenie
Oct 30, 2013
ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well thanks for the big welcome guys.Ok here what is new i am stuck between a discovery 2000 which i heard is the same as a lonestar bh? or the bounty tracker iv which out of these two would u guys go for?

OP
OP
B

bluedragon2k9

Greenie
Oct 30, 2013
ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well i found a discovery 2000 which i have read on here that is the same as a lone star for a good price.it will be here around the 5th i hope i made the right choice and that it is better then the tracker iv.Im excited to get in this hobby.Hopefully i can find enough stuff to pay for an upgrade to one of the other machines later down the road.I know i really like the sound of the compadre seems like a lot of people like that on here or an at.I have a few sites i might check out with this new detector can't wait for it to get here.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum. Whatever machine you get save everything and you can always upgrade to a better machine later. I have paid all of my machines off very quickly with my finds. My first machine I bought for $279 back in 1979 and found over $300 worth of finds the first weekend I took it out. The DFX I paid for in about 6 months, MXT PRO about 2 months and the TDI about 6 months. Now I don't sell everything I find but I consider the value. Some of my finds are valued at several hundred dollars and two of my finds are appraised of over $1000. I would start out in the parks and tot lots. Those quarters and dimes add up. And I have found several rings in the tot lots. Good luck and happy hunting.

sandy shoes

Jun 6, 2013
gloucester mass
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to TNET and to the hobby my grand daughter has a bounty hunter it is a coin magnet for her so good luck and have fun

Hawk'n Dirt

Sep 6, 2013
Humble, Tx
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Ace 250
TC3X
BH Texas Pilot
Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandson has the Bounty Hunter Quick Silver.....its great for the price. It picks up coins like crazy up to about 6".

OP
OP
B

bluedragon2k9

Greenie
Oct 30, 2013
ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well thanks everyone for the huge welcome and your tips.Ill have the discovery 2000 around the 5th tracking says .I cant wait to get started in this hobby.I been watching youtube videos on how to properly dig a plug and have been practicing that part in my yard before the detector gets here.I have become pretty good at it.I am going to do where you keep a towel down to put the dirt in and then put it right back in the hole.
I know i will need to get a pin pointer eventually.And like the previous comment said i plan on keeping everything and hopefully find enough stuff to upgrade to a better machine.But i would rather get this bounty hunter and get started then wait and not get started.So i plan on upgrading later if i feel like i need a better machine.Treasure hound your post was pretty inspiring i hope i can find enough stuff to upgrade to some nice machines like that!
well Ill post my finds and share them with you all.
Right now i been looking at old topo maps for my area and i think i might have found a few spots.So i got my hopes up lol.
Well thanks all for the help.

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WELCOME TO THE INSANITY!

Glad to hear that digging a nice plug, and making it look invisible when you are done is high on your list. That action will help keep the hobby available more than you rrealize. What ever you dig up, take it with you. It does not matter what it is, a pull tab, can slaw, mashed aluminum can, rusty washer, horshoe, etc. You will come back to some spots many times. I you leave it in the ground, you will get to find it again. Take it with you. Many people save all of their scrap and sell it off when they get enough to mess with. You will find more copper and brass than you would have thought possible. It does add up.

I wish you the best of luck, enjoy yourself and consider some headphones too. We don't always like other people hearing what we are doing.

RJGMC
HI BOB!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread