I am fortunate to hunt as often as I do

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a firemen and work a 24 hour on duty and 48 hour off shift. On my days off, i go detecting just about every day. A few months ago I decided I was going to get out every day or nearly everyday day and I have even if I was only out detecting for a half hour. With the rain and thunderstorms today I started to think about the upcoming winter and frozen ground. Many places we are allowed to hunt here are closed for the winter and do t open up until April. Unfortunately the local parks are not very old and the old ones have been raised up by several feet of fill. Most communities around here are wealthy and remodel there parks every few years, which at many includes moving the tot lot to a new place within the park grounds and hauling away to a landfill all the old mulch and playground dirt.
For now I have limited my research and put that off until the ground is frozen, so i can get as much digging time as possible.

At least my equipment will all be cleaned, diggers sharpened and maps marked up for next spring when it gets here after this season ends.

Upvote 0

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was at a newly upgraded park yesterday and the tot lot was paved with that soft tire compound or i think that's what it is. I decided to hunt the perimeter anyway and found a 14k gold wedding band in the grass. I also hit a pocket drop of $2.30 near the swings. In 45 mins, I found $4.27 and a ring before it started raining. Parks no matter what the age replenish themselves. I have 3 that i hit twice a year and they are good for $7 - $9 each time. I only been seriously detecting for about 16 months but had an old radio shack detector I used to go out with once or twice a year to the same parks.I didn't clean up like i do with my ATP but they were always worth $3 - $5.

If it wasn't raining i'd be out now

OP
OP
gerryk

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its also raining up here.
I have notices since i started hitting the tot lots around here, that someone else is now doing the same. I know someone else is doing it because they are digging in the mulch and not filling the holes. At first i thought it was a squirrel then i noticed very hole was sounding off but it was a bad signal. It must be someone new or someone with a really cheap detector.
Those 200 pound squirrels need to be educated on digging holes and making it look like you were never there.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think maybe those 200 lb. squirrels that don't fill their holes should be deposited in said hole and left there, there maybe a little of them sticking out of said hole but that's ok as long as they get the message-fill your holes!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't work a side job? Everyone I know on my dept works a side job on their days off.

OP
OP
gerryk

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't work a side job? Everyone I know on my dept works a side job on their days off.
Nope, I quit my side job when our son was born. My wife worked and we didnt want him in daycare all day long. I wouldnt trade that time I had with him for anything.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, I quit my side job when our son was born. My wife worked and we didnt want him in daycare all day long. I wouldnt trade that time I had with him for anything.

I know what you mean. My son was born shortly after I joined the dept and I stayed home with him until he started school then got a second job.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread