Just got permission to hunt an active boy scout camp

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a Boy Scout leader and just got permission to hunt a Boy Scout camp. The land was acquired in 1965 and has been an active camp since 1968. I had an advantage since I knew the scout executive through scouting. I inquired about our club hunting the camp and setting up a display of certain historical items we may find. I didnt get a chance to have the scout executive call our club president because he is so busy right now. At lease i got approval and will move things slow as we want to develop a relationship, and introduce youth to detecting. I will tie it in via coin collecting and collections, bothy of which are merit badges.

Fortunately this camp is used year round for camping so there should be plenty of targets both good and bad. Plus it will replenish itself. About 750 acres should prove to be a good spot for long term use.

Upvote 0

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That sounds like a sweet place to hunt. I found one of my oldest coins at an old Boy Scout camp but it was really old and no longer used. I bet you find LOTS of stuff there but maybe not old stuff. Good luck

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first thing I'd do is research the land to see what it was used for before the scouts got it. If it's just raw forest, you probably won't find much in the way of collectible coins. I'm sure you'll find plenty of clad, scouting stuff, shot gun shells, and junk, of course! 750 acres? You have your life's work cut out for you! :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread