pin pointer for 7 yr old

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The truth is, the Garrett is still the best buy. Yes, you can find cheaper ones, but the fact remains, they're also cheaply made! Some places sell the ProPointer for as little as $130 delivered which isn't all that much more than the junkie ones.

jfeeney

Sep 16, 2012
Dayton
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree Garrett ProPointer is the best I've used but dropping $130 for a 7 year old might not be in your budget.

The CenTech pinpointer from Harbor Freight is $15 with a coupon. Spend another $8 on upgrading the switch and it might be an more economical choose. That being said the CenTech is nowhere near the quality of the ProPointer but it does work.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also agree with what was said If u did get another propointer think of it this way it 'll get droped mayb used a little rough but it will take it & If u lose urs or for whatever reason urs dies u have a good back up ur used to already my 4 year old comes out with me uses the pro pointer or the minelab profind he is rough without a dought but ud never know it. Are there cheaper yes but most likley ull spend $30+ & If it brakes then what get another If brakes 3 times the propointer u could have had with great warrenty

OP
OP
Tucson Dan

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know there are others such as the Bounty Hunter. They will prob be better quality by spending 35-45 too. Anyone use this one or similar? My Harbor Freight doesn't have the pointer.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know there are others such as the Bounty Hunter. They will prob be better quality by spending 35-45 too. Anyone use this one or similar? My Harbor Freight doesn't have the pointer.

I had a BH one and unless the tip was right kn the coin it wouldn't go off. Buy the garrett ans uf anything u won't have no trouble sellin it. I've seen used ones on ebay sell for new prices.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem with the cheapies, is that they are horrible at finding the target which is going to frustrate the heck out of your kid. I'd just keep sharing your Propointer with him until you can afford to buy him his own. Even if he isn't hunting along side you he isn't going to be all that far away and could run back and forth with it as needed,

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took some time to mod the Bounty hunter/ fisher pinpointer and its not terrible- but it's far behind the Garrett and Minelab units. Probably ok for the little guy.

Out of the box you pretty much have to touch the target. You can squeeze a little out of it by opening it up and adjusting the small pot on the circuit board. I experimented with a quarter for range before I buttoned it up. It will hit on a Q at about 3/4 inch to 1 1/8 depending on the angle of the Q in the soil.

As for the other mods (true vibration and an visual LED indicator) I posted pics and how to's in the metal detector mods section.

Good luck with whatever PP you decide to go with!

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Hi Dan ... I agree with John ... Go with the CenTech pinpointer from Harbor Freight. Young kids have the attention span of a gnats and could even lose a ProPointer.

You and your kid have fun!!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Hi Dan ... I agree with John ... Go with the CenTech pinpointer from Harbor Freight. Young kids have the attention span of a gnats and could even lose a ProPointer.

Ehhh not to sure I agree on that level some kids do like to hunt my kid he is yougn but when we go out he is non stop by my side & ready to dig & I hate to say it but there was a time when he lasted longer then me just one day lol WHO knows mayb dans Kid likes the hunt to If they like it they pay attention

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
-

Yeah losing a pro pointer..... That's a $130 nightmare! Agreed! Def go with a cheaper one till he's a bit older!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well he is 7 u could get that lanyard & protect the investment hook it right on his jacket & or pants cant lose it then

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well he is 7 u could get that lanyard & protect the investment hook it right on his jacket & or pants cant lose it then

Now that's not a bad idea if you just have the cash lying around! My oldest is turning 9 at the end of the month, but if I was going to buy a pro pointer, he'd have to settle on inheriting the modded F pointer! The Garrett would be MINE!!!!

Moo-hahahahahahaa!!!

OP
OP
Tucson Dan

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went ahead and bought another ProPointer for the little guy. Should be a fun time watching him open it on Christmas. Thanks for all the great comments.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went ahead and bought another ProPointer for the little guy. Should be a fun time watching him open it on Christmas. Thanks for all the great comments.

Awesome u went the right way weather u see it now or later on soon.enough ull be glad u went that route hh

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

That is great.

Make sure it works the right way now (before Christmas). If it doesn’t, there is still time to send it back to Garrett before Christmas.

Good luck & happy hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread