Season end coming quick

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ester day afternoon he temps started to fall as the rain came in, then it changed to snow and started to stick on the ground. We got our first measurable snowfall of the season in the Chicago area and 14 hours later its still here and only 24 degrees outside. I am not ready for winter yet.

Upvote 0

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hear ya gerry
snow here in N.Y. last nite and 23 degrees here now.... time to put on the Carhart`s to hunt...i`ll do it till Christmas then i`m done, maybe!
Gary

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Where I'm at in CA (central coast), it never (rarely) drops below 32*. And I think we get/got snow perhaps once every 25 or 30 yrs. (which melt within 30 minutes). So our ground never freezes, even on the coldest days. The rain might stop detecting, but then we merely suit up with rain gear, wrap our detectors, and head to the beach because that's usually indicative of the beach-erosion season. Thus year-round detecting here. I don't know how you snow belt people can hack it. I don't envy you one bit. Other than that east of the Mississippi, you have older coins to find :)

OP
OP
gerryk

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I'm at in CA (central coast), it never (rarely) drops below 32*. And I think we get/got snow perhaps once every 25 or 30 yrs. (which melt within 30 minutes). So our ground never freezes, even on the coldest days. The rain might stop detecting, but then we merely suit up with rain gear, wrap our detectors, and head to the beach because that's usually indicative of the beach-erosion season. Thus year-round detecting here. I don't know how you snow belt people can hack it. I don't envy you one bit. Other than that east of the Mississippi, you have older coins to find :)

East of the Miss? We don't have much to find here as far as old coins. Half of the city of Chicago is landfill from the so called great fire. Many suburbs are so wealthy they need to rebuild their parks every few years which included regrading by hauling the old worn out dirt away and bringing in new dirt. The city itself has some parks that are great for hunting but we shouldn't have to go in a large group and make sure everyone has a concealed carry permit and their gun on them. Damn gang bangers and drug dealers shoot anyone in their parks.

As far as a few months of no detecting, it gives us down time to research hunting spots, clean and fix our equipment, research new equipment, ***** and moan that we need warmer weather to get out in and finally spend so,e time with our spouses so they don't get overly upset with our addiction.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never knew dirt wore out. LOL. It's 75degrees here I'm just getting started for the season. We're expecting a cold front tonight it may get down in the 50's later on this week!

Last edited:

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Windy, and 25 degrees. Hope to get out a couple more times! Supposed to hit 50 this weekend

OP
OP
gerryk

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The dirt doesn't get worn out, but for some reason they dig so,e up and bring new stuff in like it did.

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I envy you guys!! Believe it or not iam looking out my front windows at the three snowmen my two daughters made lol I should go and put my atp pro beside one and take a pic lol

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am still getting some detecting here in Montana and it has snowed a couple of times but then it melts so detecting is still good till the ground freezes hard. I have lots of other things I could be doing but I have got to detect as long as possible because it could be 4 long months without any metal detecting. The older I get the less I like winter. Nobody goes to the parks much in the winter so there are no lost coins and treasure till spring comes and the people start coming out again.

Also in our area the ground was contaminated from years of mining and copper smelting so the EPA came in and most of 6 inches of top soil has been removed and hauled away. You can almost always see where they came back in and reseeded it because there are all these neat little rows of plants/grass.

Thanks for coming to my Pity Party :occasion18:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is why they make insulated clothes, people! Come on, you really gonna let a little cold weather spoil your fun? I was out yesterday morning, nose running, wishing I had thought to wear the warmer gloves, lol. Can you tell I am addicted?:coffee2:

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is why they make insulated clothes, people! Come on, you really gonna let a little cold weather spoil your fun? I was out yesterday morning, nose running, wishing I had thought to wear the warmer gloves, lol. Can you tell I am addicted?:coffee2:

I'm hunting this last warm push. Pretty soon the ground will be frozen a foot thick, makes hard digging. You should know up in pa.

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have year long hunting here in southern AZ but it gets so flipping hot here you can't bear it sometimes. Kinda like the bad snowy winter days where you can go out but it's miserable.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Me too, old Dude. Hands got real cold,it was about 40, but the wind was brutal, the rest was fine, except that darn obnoxious runny nose....................hope nobody had to see all that!!!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Little bit of cold never hurt no one least thats what us new englanders think.

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Little bit of cold never hurt no one least thats what us new englanders think.

Cold does hurt. Especially when I'm not used to it anymore. It barely gets to freezing temps, even on a winter night here. My blood is water thin down here. Cold for me anymore is misery especially when I can't feel my hands.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Naw,I know cold isnt at all fun id rather a nice warm day myself over bundling up & detecting its just in the passion for the hobby. Ive always,worked outside & done everything outside year round so to me its just another day I get to do something i like that relaxes me. And then that one thought of finding the great one to put me into early retirement so hh everyone

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Naw,I know cold isnt at all fun id rather a nice warm day myself over bundling up & detecting its just in the passion for the hobby. Ive always,worked outside & done everything outside year round so to me its just another day I get to do something i like that relaxes me. And then that one thought of finding the great one to put me into early retirement so hh everyone

Well said, HH too.

OP
OP
gerryk

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not talking about a little cold stopping me. Cold weather has never stopped me doing anything in the past, may have slowed me down a bit because i was dressed for it. Hopefully the cold doesn't slow me down in the future.
I was talking about the ground being frozen!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We have year long hunting here in southern AZ but it gets so flipping hot here you can't bear it sometimes. Kinda like the bad snowy winter days where you can go out but it's miserable.
I can only imagine it getting so hot you have to wear gloves to protect your hands from getting burned from the equipment getting so hot from the sun. I guess our locations all have good points and bad ones, huh? The idea is to have fun no matter what. HH and good luck to all of us.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not talking about a little cold stopping me. Cold weather has never stopped me doing anything in the past, may have slowed me down a bit because i was dressed for it. Hopefully the cold doesn't slow me down in the future.
I was talking about the ground being frozen!
Gerryk, this will be my first winter not being able to hunt, lol. I am trying to forget about it till the day comes. I just hope I don't drive the gf crazy with the pacing, cleaning of the equipment and looking out the window to see if the ground looks thawed yet, lol. I wonder how much jack hammers are going for these days? Maybe if I made the good lil boy list, Santa will bring me one.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread