Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Common problem if you put pressure on the tip. I've heard people have sent them back and they have fixed it. Must be an easy fix too because they do it quickly. I might pull mine apart and take a peak inside because I can make mine do it to. They are not designed to probe dirt with but they have a scraper built into the side.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, thats pretty common...You shouldnt need to put any pressure in the hole....lol..that didnt sound right :tongue3:

But really, I noticed that all the time...You should be good to go!

OP
OP
dholland02

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thanks guy's

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been said that with rough handling the ferrite core in the coil cracks and that causes the Propointer to false easily if a little pressure is placed on the tip in any direction.
I have one that falses very easy. I am not sure if there is a ferrite core, but that info sounds correct and would explain the phenomenon.

This has happened to me before. I sent my Propointer in for repairs and each time I got a new case. I was told the coil was bad in one incident.
I believe the coil is epoxied into the tip of the case so I don't know if it can be removed. I couldn't remove it the one time I had my Propointer apart.

The cost of repair is somewhere around $40 bucks not including shipping. I would say that the Propointer is to fragile in this regard and should be improved if the core is the problem.
The moment someone comes out with a bullet proof pointer as good as the Propointer, they are going to lose a lot of business.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first propointer became problematic after about a month using it in tot lots. When it becomes unusable, send it in, they will take care of you. I am very gentle with my replacement, they are built tough. I wont hunt without it.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not afraid to push on the point of mine. I don't push hard but I don't baby it. Mine went a lil haywire for awhile then i read on Tnet to put a piece of cardboard in the end to keep the battery tighter and haven't had a problem since. I do blow the speaker hole out now and then when the sound gets weak but that's it. I think the pro pointer is pretty rugged myself

OP
OP
dholland02

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dnt jam it in the ground but I'm pushing around. Its startin to grt cold in Pa, no snow yet. I might call garrett and see what they say since its only about a month old.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, get it repaired under warranty, Garret is very helpful even if you didn't send the card in.
If under 30 days, you might consult the place you bought it for replacement. If you send it in, you will incur shipping charges for the trip to Garrett.
They pay to send it back.

stoney

Oct 12, 2012
Vermont
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My ProPointer went nuts after about a year of use. It would just start sounding off for no reason. After trying all the obvious solutions including new batteries from a different manufacturer, a spacer in the cap, start/restart, it finally got to the point of being useless.

Solution? I stole my wife's! Then I sent my broken one to Garrett after contacting them via their website. Nice folks. I mentioned that it was likely out of warranty and I was ready to purchase a new one if this was going to cost much to fix. Got it back in about 10 days cleaned up and polished and working like new. NO charge!

I love Garrett for their products and their service. Get an RMA number from them and send it back.

Stoney

sandy shoes

Jun 6, 2013
gloucester mass
Detector(s) used
AT PRO and pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing i have to say about Garetts customers service is they are great .best by far

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
+1, garret's a great company with great products & customer service

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
When mine starts to chirp and chatter like that what I do is turn it off, hold the tip on the ground, then turn it back on with the tip still touching the ground. It kind of almost acts like a ground balance of sorts. Works for me anyway.

-Swartzie

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When mine starts to chirp and chatter like that what I do is turn it off, hold the tip on the ground, then turn it back on with the tip still touching the ground. It kind of almost acts like a ground balance of sorts. Works for me anyway. -Swartzie

That's exactly what it does and will decrease its sensitivity. It's one of its features. Hold it next to anything conductive and turn it on and it will only pick it up at about 1/2 inch. It helps to locate a target in the hole also if your getting too strong of a signal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread