Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes those are armature windings from, electric motors. Starters, alternators etc.copper wire in them

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something to judge size might help. They also look a bit like wristwatch band links.

Brody

Greenie
Jan 5, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro and Whites coin master
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was metal detecting at and around Fenwick island I found the top if a fuse off of a world war two bomb. Upon further research I found out that during ww2 the beaches were used as training grounds for anything from just shooting rifles to dropping bombs. After the second world war ended the government dumped tons of bullets bombs and shells just a few miles off shore. Due to dredging you can find pieces of the stuff they dumped. I could be wrong but I would be willing to bet that that is probably what you have found. Nice finds and good luck on future hunts.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ahh,OC .. I miss that place.

I have many, many great memories in that town from 6th street all the way up to 62nd street. I used to spend about half my summer weekends there and at least 1-2 weeks a year.
I haven't been back in over a decade. Now that I've gotten back into MD'ing, I really need to get back.
I should call my cousin. He owns two condos up around 112th street somewhere. He's invited me down numerous times but it just hasn't happened yet. I need to change that.

Last edited:

DainBrammage

Apr 1, 2014
Desoto County, MS
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are not from anything dumped by the government. Those are pieces of obturtating bands from projectiles from artillery or antiaircraft pieces. They have been fired you can tell by the presence of the lands and grooves from the barrel rifling. They are made from brass.

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Electric motor armatures... I've tore hundreds of these apart for the copper.

Brody

Greenie
Jan 5, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DainBrammage is right that is exactly what they are without a doubt. Nice eye.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obturtating bands would not have a grid pattern crossing the lands and grooves.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
The motor windings are made of copper WIRE. The armature is made of steel and the commentator is made of copper contact sections.
The area just above Fenwick has observation towers that still exist today. They directed artillery fire ment to sink subs sited along the coast dropping off spies. In the past I have found radio transmitter parts and lieca camera parts on this section of beach after an 8' cut by a storm.
Frank...- five star.png

Last edited:

DainBrammage

Apr 1, 2014
Desoto County, MS
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obturtating bands would not have a grid pattern crossing the lands and grooves.

Actually , they would depending on the type of band. Multi ring obturtating bands have a single or several gaps in them. When fired through the rifling they create perpendicular lines across the band(s) also remember these things have been fired and deformed by high explosives not to mention corodeing over time. The summer hatching u see could also be intentional to seat a plastic gas check band. In the business, we call these frag and they fully exhibit the the tell tale signs of having been functioned as designed. The business being Marine Corps EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal)

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The summer hatching u see could also be intentional to seat a plastic gas check band.

That makes sense.

Brody

Greenie
Jan 5, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSC_4739[1].JPG

Look at the band.

Brody

Greenie
Jan 5, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bande[1].jpg

Here is a picture of a copper band off of an exploded bomb. It has straight lines not grooves like the items in question. So these are not for barrel bands off of bombs. But due to all the history that area has with the military and ww2 it is probably from some sort of bomb or something that they dumped there after the war.

Last edited:

DainBrammage

Apr 1, 2014
Desoto County, MS
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brody... Bombs do not have obturtating bands. Bombs are dropped not fired or forced through rifling by propellant. Trust me on this the pieces are Obturtating bands from projectiles. As an FYI there are things called recoliless rifles that have the band's already groved... And they are nearly straight and not slanted. Just accept u are wrong and move on.

Brody

Greenie
Jan 5, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DainBrammage... These are not obturtating bands from projectiles, bombs, or whatever you want to call them. You keep overlooking the fact that these are in a grid like pattern and not in a pattern that could possibly be made by rifling from any gun recoilless or not. Im sorry but I think you are wrong and these are from something else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions