Finding good sites for metal detecting?

Damian77

Nov 7, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i just got my metal detector yesterday and have been using it a bit in my yard/under the house. I've found some clad and an old beer can and for some reason I keep finding ALOT of broken glass with my finds.. almost every hole I dig has broken glass. Anyway, I'm looking for older places to dig.. old abandoned places like ballfields parks houses etc.. but I've tried googling but to no avail! I've found newer parks and National parks which are off limits but I want old place preferably.. any idea how I'd go about finding them? Thanks!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, New York! If you are looking in local playgrounds or parks, you are looking in the same place as everybody else since 1980. You need to start trying to research places people gathered in the PAST (1870 - 1950) at your local library. You need to start thinking outside the box, and be prepared to do a little work with your head, not just your machine. Good Luck!

A Few Sites to Get You Started:

1) Old Schools
2) City/Town Parks
3) Circus/Fair Sites
4) Old Churches
5) Old Homestead Sites
6) Swimming Holes and Areas
7) Picnic Groves
8) Athletic Fields
9) Scout Camps
10) Rodeo Arenas
11) Campgrounds
12) Ghost Towns
13) Beaches
14) Old Taverns
15) Roadside Rest Stops
16) Sidewalk Grassy Strips
17) Amusement Parks
18) Rural Mailboxes
19) Reunion Areas
20) Revival sites
21) Fort Sites
22) Winter Sledding Areas
23) Lookout/Overlook Sites
24) Church Supper Groves
25) Fishing Spots
26) Fishing Camps
27) Resorts
28) Old Barns and Outbuildings
29) Battle Sites
30) Band Shells
31) Racetracks
32) Rural Boundary Walls
33) Roadside Fruit and Vegetable Stands
34) Under Seaside Boardwalks
35) Flea Market Areas
36) Ski Slopes
37) Drive Ins
38) Canal Paths
39) Vacant Lots
40) Motels
41) College Campuses
42) Farmer Market Areas
43) Town Squares
44) Urban Yards and Backyards
45) Disaster Sites
46) Areas Around Skating Ponds
47) Hunting Lodges and Camps
48) Mining Camps
49) Railroad Grades, Stations and Junctions
50) Hiking Trails
51) Waterfalls
52) Rural Dance Sites
53) Lover's Lanes
54) Areas Adjacent to Historical Markers
55) Old Gas Stations and General Stores
56) Fence Posts
57) Chicken Houses
58) Bridges and Fords
59) Flower Beds
60) Playgrounds
61) Old Garbage Dumps
62) Cloth Lines
63) Military Camp and Cantonment Sites
64) Wells and Outhouses
65) Abandoned Houses and Structures
66) Areas where Old Trails Cross County or State Boundaries
67) Piles of Scraped Soil at Construction Sites
68) Old Stone Quarries
69) Areas Around Old Abandoned Cemeteries in the Forest
70) Junctions of Abandoned Roads (crossroads)

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id tale Terry's advice he knows what he is talking about there are a couple others here that have great knowlege aswell good luck in ur hunts & Congrates on ur new machine ive had lots of great luck with the pro

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everybody is right so far but you have quite a piece of machine there. At this point you just need to swing, swing, swing. Dig everything and you'll start learning the sounds of the Pro and what its telling you. Learn it and at the same time branch out farther. I spent most of my time in clad parks just a few blocks from the house with my boy when I first got started and learned a ton.

OP
OP
Damian77

Damian77

Nov 7, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's a heck of a list! Will do.. can't wait to see what I find at my library. I appreciate it folks!

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a GREAT list Terry! Man o man! Thank you!!!!

cactusrat

Jun 27, 2012
South Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry’s list is so long that I had to take a nap in the middle of reading it.

I’ll add a couple of more sites.

Old pay phones and bus stops.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Damian , I lived in Knoxville a 1/4 of my life. Not there now but a great town to detect in. What part of town are you in ?

Although there was civil war ops there including the battle of Fort Sanders , dont become obsessed with hunting c.w. relics. There has never been that much found there. Hunt and focus on coins and the c.w. relics will come to you. There are dropped c.w. bullets and uniform buttons in old yards all over town. There are so many old neighborhoods , you are going to have fun.

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't discount newer parks. I have done pretty good in some of the newer parks near me. I did over $5.50 plus a gold ring about wee ago in a park less than 7 yrs old.

OP
OP
Damian77

Damian77

Nov 7, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damian , I lived in Knoxville a 1/4 of my life. Not there now but a great town to detect in. What part of town are you in ?

Although there was civil war ops there including the battle of Fort Sanders , dont become obsessed with hunting c.w. relics. There has never been that much found there. Hunt and focus on coins and the c.w. relics will come to you. There are dropped c.w. bullets and uniform buttons in old yards all over town. There are so many old neighborhoods , you are going to have fun.
Right now I am living in North Knoxville on north broadway :) I love it here in Knoxville I use to live over in west Knoxville.. I've noticed that there is a lot of old abandoned places around but i've found most of them to be on the dangerous side of town.. near magnolia ave.. one place I'd love to go is Rule Highschool but again.. bad area.. main reason I know Is because I work in the finance business on this bad side of town.. so I have to go door to door getting them to pay on their loans that are passed due. But man that rule highschool was built in the 20s and was closed in 91 it has a football field and I just know there's stuff begging to be dug up!

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
is it legal to detect public parks in TN? Seem to remember reading they were off limits, I vacation down in Gatlinburg often is why I paid attention...
Bob

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, New York! If you are looking in local playgrounds or parks, you are looking in the same place as everybody else since 1980. You need to start trying to research places people gathered in the PAST (1870 - 1950) at your local library. You need to start thinking outside the box, and be prepared to do a little work with your head, not just your machine. Good Luck!

A Few Sites to Get You Started:

1) Old Schools
2) City/Town Parks
3) Circus/Fair Sites
4) Old Churches
5) Old Homestead Sites
6) Swimming Holes and Areas
7) Picnic Groves
8) Athletic Fields
9) Scout Camps
10) Rodeo Arenas
11) Campgrounds
12) Ghost Towns
13) Beaches
14) Old Taverns
15) Roadside Rest Stops
16) Sidewalk Grassy Strips
17) Amusement Parks
18) Rural Mailboxes
19) Reunion Areas
20) Revival sites
21) Fort Sites
22) Winter Sledding Areas
23) Lookout/Overlook Sites
24) Church Supper Groves
25) Fishing Spots
26) Fishing Camps
27) Resorts
28) Old Barns and Outbuildings
29) Battle Sites
30) Band Shells
31) Racetracks
32) Rural Boundary Walls
33) Roadside Fruit and Vegetable Stands
34) Under Seaside Boardwalks
35) Flea Market Areas
36) Ski Slopes
37) Drive Ins
38) Canal Paths
39) Vacant Lots
40) Motels
41) College Campuses
42) Farmer Market Areas
43) Town Squares
44) Urban Yards and Backyards
45) Disaster Sites
46) Areas Around Skating Ponds
47) Hunting Lodges and Camps
48) Mining Camps
49) Railroad Grades, Stations and Junctions
50) Hiking Trails
51) Waterfalls
52) Rural Dance Sites
53) Lover's Lanes
54) Areas Adjacent to Historical Markers
55) Old Gas Stations and General Stores
56) Fence Posts
57) Chicken Houses
58) Bridges and Fords
59) Flower Beds
60) Playgrounds
61) Old Garbage Dumps
62) Cloth Lines
63) Military Camp and Cantonment Sites
64) Wells and Outhouses
65) Abandoned Houses and Structures
66) Areas where Old Trails Cross County or State Boundaries
67) Piles of Scraped Soil at Construction Sites
68) Old Stone Quarries
69) Areas Around Old Abandoned Cemeteries in the Forest
70) Junctions of Abandoned Roads (crossroads)

Excellent list!

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a search box at the top right of the webpage. There are tons of threads that have suggestions on how to find good places to hunt, website that have maps, and more. Do a little diggin, there's gold in this here forum!!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
is it legal to detect public parks in TN? Seem to remember reading they were off limits, I vacation down in Gatlinburg often is why I paid attention...
Bob

sno-kid, whatever you read that said TN "parks were off-limits", was probably referring to STATE parks. This type thing (in a variety of states, not just TN), is often mis-interpretted, as I believe you have here. That is: don't confuse "state" parks, with the "entire state". State parks is only referring to parks administered by the state, and not to be confused with city parks, county parks, etc.... Thus in any given state, only a small percentage of "parks" are necessarily run by the state. And their rules do not subrogate down to apply to entities/levels under them. And rarely is there any prohibitions saying such a thing at lower levels. So long as you're not being a nuisance, or snooping around obvious historic monuments, that is. But for routine parks, beaches, schools, etc...., no, anything at the "state" level, would only refer to parks that are specifically "state" run.

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a search box at the top right of the webpage. There are tons of threads that have suggestions on how to find good places to hunt, website that have maps, and more. Do a little diggin, there's gold in this here forum!!!

Love the avatar... Yukon.

lost

Jul 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you already know of a seedy part of town, I'll give you one of my little known secret spots to hunt. You can use it for eyeballing, which I do most of the time, or hit it with your MD'er.

Ready? This is the absolute truth now. The BACK's of convenient stores. Such as 7-11's. The reason, I'll just call them "guy's" instead of putting a label on them, buy beer and wine inside the store, go around back, usually in groups, sit against the back wall and drink for hours.

Objects fall out of their pockets. Usually change but often some type of jewelry. And knives. Lots of pocket knives. Almost always the good stuff is with in 2-3 feet of the back wall where they sit. I couldn't guess the value of what I've found over the years. I could but won't.

Caution, do this search only in the early morning daylight hours when the "guys" haven't gathered up yet. Or a rainy day. If you MD, bring a cheap one as you may lose it. Personally I've never increased my finds much with a MD'er.

No kidding. This is almost a find every trip. I hit my 4 stores once every 2-3 weeks. Oh, and don't forget to check the dumpster on your way out. Those stores throw away some amazing things from time to time. And, don't forget I said Caution. The guys with the red clothing is the "Blood's". The guys with the "Blue" are Crips. Both will hurt you.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just get permission first from landowners. Even roadsides in some places are considered private land. The gov only has a easement so many feet from the road in most cases. But in Kentucky shoot you have tons of places to hunt. Just remember also old does not equal gold! Rural and even inner city Kentucky hasn't changed much since the 1700's everyone is still poor. Those old farmers and rural church going people didnt have much money if any. A dollar was a months worth of supplies for them.most of the coal miners and loggers were paid through a company store or with tokens. The farmers payed their money right to the store or co-op right away.
Just don't want you to get discouraged by not finding what guys on here find right off the bat. It took 8 months before I found anything good then it came within 2 days of each other. Then right back to junk for 2 weeks lol.theres still guys that haven't found anything but clad swinging 1000 dollar machines lol. Just learn your machine, that stuff has been in the ground for a 100 years it'll be there in a few months still. Good luck and better take jimmy and Timmy to ward off the crips!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread