Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My "AT Pro" Has Reached it's Limit on These 5 Silvers, I'm Ready for a PI

-
Went back to an area in the Belmont Shore area of Long Beach, CA, that has old sand and has produced a couple of wheat's. The area of dry sand I worked is basically the size of a football field that has 6"-7" of soft top sand with very hard packed sand underneath. Based on the location, I just knew there was silver in the hard sand under the soft sand if I could hear that deep soft whisper of a high tone.

It was very early morning, so there was absolutely no outside noise, wind, or distractions. The area is virtually trash free, had the headphones cranked all the way up, I worked the machine wide open and slower then I have ever worked it (about a 3-second short slow swing) while skimming the sand with the coil. And with my self proclaimed ADD, scanning this slow was very trying and challenging, to say the least.
I dug lots of what I believed were deep whispers that disappeared after the first scoop. I heard my first true high tone whisper (in between shallow bottle tops that about took my head off with the volume so loud) after about twenty minutes and it showed a 92 on the display. I scooped and scanned three times through the soft sand as the tone got louder, then I chopped with the scoop at the hard sand for several more inches.

And there it was! A 1961 Franklin Silver Half. Then about every fifteen minutes or so I dug down in the hard packed sand for four more silver. FIVE SILVER TOTAL!!

It takes a lot of patience and concentration to work the machine that slow to hear the whispers of a good deep target, and I was ready to pick up the pace after an hour plus of that. I didn't cover much ground today, but the ground was good, and there is a lot more ground to cover. In areas that have quality targets that are deep, it difficult to constantly work a machine to it's limits, and then, you still wonder what your missing a few inches further down.

I believe if I had a Good PI Machine in that same area, along with other old sand areas I know of, I just may have a jar full of silver, and jewelry from the same era as the coins.

So now you guys know what I want for Christmas :) Just in time for the Winter Storms in January.

I really love my AT Pro, it has served me well, and still will, but it has it's limits, and I believe I'm ready for a Good PI Machine for areas just like I was at today, maybe an ATX? Still waiting for beach user reviews before I pull that trigger.

P1030868.JPG -- P1030876.JPG -- P1030873.JPG

Beautiful Morning .. About 58 Degrees when I Started .. These pictures are not the exact area that I worked ... Gotta have some secrets :)
KIMG0064.JPG -- KIMG0058.jpg

Thanks For Looking ... Keep on Swinging

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
so-cal-beach-hunter: You seem to think that other machines, besides a beach pulse, would be a "move-sideways". I disagree. There are better coin machines than your ATX, that will go deeper , for those silver coins you suspect are there at over 8" or 9" deep. If .... as you say .... it was "all you could do" to get those 5 silver coins at 8 or 9" deep, then don't think that by trying another different coin-machine, that it's only a move sideways. There are better coin machines, that will go deeper than that, all while affording you the ability to pass iron, retain TID, etc....

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
What have you got against an Excalibur or an E-trac? With a 15" WOT coil they're very impressive on both depth and sensitivity.

Hi Cudamark ... I just noticed your post

Here's my deal on the Excalibur and E-trac, along with many other machines. My first hour plus in the morning detecting the beach is in the dark. I make all adjustments on my AT Pro in the dark, on the fly, by feel and sound, from Turn On, GB, PP, IA, Disc, & Notching, so I don't need or want a display on my next machine or knobs to try to fiddle with in the dark. I have nothing against Minelab or any other manufacture, just a personal preference. Also, everything Garrett said the AT Pro would do, and after all my research before purchasing, it did that and more, except the Black Iron Sand part, which is understandable with a VLF.
So I can only assume that the ATX will live up to the claims. It's also compact, easy to adjust on the fly in the dark, looks easy to use, and totally waterproof, but I'm not to crazy about the camo look of it. My learning curve with the AT Pro was almost non-existent and I expect the same with my next machine.

I do understand everyone has their own personal preference and I need a machine that fit my style of detecting.

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
so-cal-beach-hunter: You seem to think that other machines, besides a beach pulse, would be a "move-sideways". I disagree. There are better coin machines than your ATX, that will go deeper , for those silver coins you suspect are there at over 8" or 9" deep. If .... as you say .... it was "all you could do" to get those 5 silver coins at 8 or 9" deep, then don't think that by trying another different coin-machine, that it's only a move sideways. There are better coin machines, that will go deeper than that, all while affording you the ability to pass iron, retain TID, etc....

Good Point Tom ... But I'm not just looking for a coin machine. I'm looking for a completely different detecting experience and I believe a good multipurpose pulse machine will give me that. I've heard the Iron Audio on the ATX and it sounds good to me.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt with both those machines in the dark all the time, sometimes in the water. The Excalibur rarely has to have any kind of adjustment....I run it flat out all the time. The E-trac has a backlight so you can see to adjust it if you need to. I've gotten used to where the button are so pinpointing, quick mask, etc are easy to find. Raw power and depth aren't everything. You need stability too or the trash will drive you nuts. Kinda like high beams in the fog.....sometimes less is better.

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
I hunt with both those machines in the dark all the time, sometimes in the water. The Excalibur rarely has to have any kind of adjustment....I run it flat out all the time. The E-trac has a backlight so you can see to adjust it if you need to. I've gotten used to where the button are so pinpointing, quick mask, etc are easy to find. Raw power and depth aren't everything. You need stability too or the trash will drive you nuts. Kinda like high beams in the fog.....sometimes less is better.

Hi Again cudamark ... Your points are well taken

My experience with fishing tackle has taught me that most bell & whistles on fishing reels are added to catch fishermen, not fish. On my next detector, I don't need any pre-programmed settings, the ability to stored settings, or a USB to upload/download settings, GPS (3030), LCD with Icons of Pull Tabs or depth chart that may or may not be accurate unless it's a coin in the right conditions. Most detector's coils are waterproof, but I need a totally waterproof unit as my first cheapy detector hit the water after three weeks of use as I was taking something out of my scoop.

When I think about some of the features the ATX has; Non-Motion Mode, Signal Strength Indicator, DD Coil & Iron I.D. is huge with me on any machine, let alone a PI Machine

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-

My experience with fishing tackle has taught me that most bell & whistles on fishing reels are added to catch fishermen, not fish. On my next detector, I don't need any pre-programmed settings, the ability to stored settings, or a USB to upload/download settings, GPS (3030), LCD with Icons of Pull Tabs or depth chart that may or may not be accurate unless it's a coin in the right conditions. Most detector's coils are waterproof, but I need a totally waterproof unit as my first cheapy detector hit the water after three weeks of use as I was taking something out of my scoop.

When I think about some of the features the ATX has; Non-Motion Mode, Signal Strength Indicator, DD Coil & Iron I.D. is huge with me on any machine, let alone a PI Machine

Just for sake of throwing it out there the requirements of what u just said,with the exception of being an actual Pi machine the deus xp has those other features along with being totaly wireless,a removable control unit,& 4 different frequecies to go with on what ur looking for in the feild, goes very deep,reaction is just unbeleivable amazing in iron aswell,folds up just as fast as the atx but the deus is lighter to. May not be what ur looking for totaly but may be a contender or maybe not. Like I said just tossing it out there cuz of its features & what its good for gold,coins,relics,list goes on. Good luck in ur choice, If I go with the atx hope to hear ur reveiw on it looks like a great machine hh

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Just for sake of throwing it out there the requirements of what u just said,with the exception of being an actual Pi machine the deus xp has those other features along with being totaly wireless,a removable control unit,& 4 different frequecies to go with on what ur looking for in the feild, goes very deep,reaction is just unbeleivable amazing in iron aswell,folds up just as fast as the atx but the deus is lighter to. May not be what ur looking for totaly but may be a contender or maybe not. Like I said just tossing it out there cuz of its features & what its good for gold,coins,relics,list goes on. Good luck in ur choice, If I go with the atx hope to hear ur reveiw on it looks like a great machine hh

Hi christo000,

I have looked at the DEUS XP. I like the fact that it is light weight, but that is about it. I believe they missed the boat on this one. Other then you have three separate areas on the detector to keep charged (Coil, Control, & Headphones), you have way too much to go wrong at the wrong time with all the separate wireless areas and two sets of controls.

I wish they would have taken this unit to another level by downloading an app to your iPhone or Android and just use your cell as the control box. My 100 percent waterproof Kyocera Hydro Edge Android would be perfect for a unit like this. So instead of paying over $1300 for this machine, it could have been sold for way less by just using you phone as the control box.

Thank You for your input

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-

Except for the signal strength indicator, you just described the Excalibur.....

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Except for the signal strength indicator, you just described the Excalibur.....

cudamark, your going to get me thrown off TNet :)

This comment may piss off some folks :) but here it goes. I'm seeing the Minelab Excalibur II as a glorified AT Pro that may scan a little deeper, with multiple frequency that would be better for saltwater, that is waterproof to 200 feet that I don't need but your paying for that, at a price 2.5 times that of the AT Pro.

Like I said earlier in this thread, I'm looking for a totally different metal detecting experience that I believe a good pulse machine with give me. It will be my go to for the surf and non-trashy areas. My AT Pro works great in the trashiest areas at picking out quality targets.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem......people ignore my advice all the time! :hello:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem......people ignore my advice all the time! :hello:
Lol, too funny Cudamark. Socalbeachhunter, you can turn one knob on in the dark and hunt with the Excal. It's so much more than a glorified ATP on the beach. No offense meant by that statement. Also, the CTX with a 17" coil will reach PI depths, and still ignore iron but, does require a harness in my case. Your talking about the same $$$$ for one heck of a beach, coin, relic machine with awesome depth. The GPS is very useful on the beaches especially where it can change drastically from one high tide to the next.

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Lol, too funny Cudamark. Socalbeachhunter, you can turn one knob on in the dark and hunt with the Excal. It's so much more than a glorified ATP on the beach. No offense meant by that statement. Also, the CTX with a 17" coil will reach PI depths, and still ignore iron but, does require a harness in my case. Your talking about the same $$$$ for one heck of a beach, coin, relic machine with awesome depth. The GPS is very useful on the beaches especially where it can change drastically from one high tide to the next.

Hey Fletch88,

I was hoping to get another Minelab Diehard in here ... Funny Stuff!
I still might consider a CTX now that I know you can change that God awful Flute sound, but I'm still waiting for someone to chime in to tell me the sound can be changed to Clapton Riffs.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I am a ML diehard I suppose, not trying to be funny, but I love the flutty sound of the CTX/ Etrac over an AT Pro any day, since I owned one for 3 months and couldn't stand the audio. To each his own I guess. You can make the CTX sound just about anyway you like. Sounds like the ATX is an awesome PI let is know if you try one, how it works out. PS: the Excal's more like a Symphony Orchestra, not just the flute section:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I am a ML diehard I suppose, not trying to be funny, but I love the flutty sound of the CTX/ Etrac over an AT Pro any day, since I owned one for 3 months and couldn't stand the audio. To each his own I guess. You can make the CTX sound just about anyway you like. Sounds like the ATX is an awesome PI let is know if you try one, how it works out. PS: the Excal's more like a Symphony Orchestra, not just the flute section:)

Hi Again Fletch,

I've search the net high and low to find someone that has tested or used the ATX in the surf and I can't find anything yet. I hate to purchase anything without reading some reviews and asking some questions that I might have. Maybe I will need to be the one of the firsts to review it in a surf application. I just might need to call around to see if I can work a great Black Friday deal :)
Well See ... I'll keep you posted.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you considered a CZ-21. Many people really like them on here. It's one I've never used, but may be an option worth looking at.

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you considered a CZ-21. Many people really like them on here. It's one I've never used, but may be an option worth looking at.

I wasn't familiar with the Fisher CZ-21, so I check out the specs.
I would pass on the CZ-21 because of the duel frequency, but thank for the suggestion.

The CZ-21 is a Duel Frequency: 5 and 15 kHz

The CTX is Multiple Frequencies: 1.5 - 100 kHz

The ATX is measured in Pulses per Second and it is fully adjustable

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes those dual/multiple freq machines are terrible, I'd have me a PI machine before Friday. FYI- Try a used one out so if it's not all you're thinking it is you won't lose several hundred dollars finding out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes those dual/multiple freq machines are terrible, I'd have me a PI machine before Friday. FYI- Try a use one out so if it's not all you're thinking it is you won't lose several hundred dollars finding out.

Good Morning Fletch,

I see you were up early this morning to throw some jabs :) I understand the sarcasm and I'm not belittling the Fisher CZ-21 or any other machine.

I realize there is no perfect detector and circuit design has more to do with it then anything else. Certain metals respond better to different frequencies. So if your detector is continually searching many different frequencies, you have a better chance of hear that item better and deeper.

Here are some examples of items and frequencies they respond better to:

Dime around 2.7 KHz, Gold Coins and some other Coins respond below 10 KHz., Nickel and gold Jewelry around 16.5 KHz, Gold Nuggets above 20KHz

Even a single frequency machine will pickup all metal, but the metal will pick up better and deeper in a certain frequency zone. The AT Pro is a great example of a quality single frequency machine, but it has it's limits.

With a high end machine, you get what you pay for as far a technology. I've noticed some high end machine add lot of bells and whistles to jack the price up even more to catch the detectorist wallet, not the metal.

By understanding how a machine works and why, will help you make a better decision on a new machine for the type of detecting that will fit your style, objective, and pocketbook. Doing your homework to decide what you want in your next machine is much better then listening to all the chatter of my machine is better then yours, or just having the so called latest and greatest. I believe, the operator of the machine and knowing how it works and why is the biggest factor in finding quality targets.

Personally, on my next machine, I just want state of the art raw deep power with some tools to help me decide what to scoop or dig, no bells and whistles, just performance. And I believe a good multipurpose pulse machine will give me that.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Good Morning Fletch,

I see you were up early this morning to throw some jabs :) I understand the sarcasm and I'm not belittling the Fisher CZ-21 or any other machine.

I realize there is no perfect detector and circuit design has more to do with it then anything else. Certain metals respond better to different frequencies. So if your detector is continually searching many different frequencies, you have a better chance of hear that item better and deeper.

Here are some examples of items and frequencies they respond better to:

Dime around 2.7 KHz, Gold Coins and some other Coins respond below 10 KHz., Nickel and gold Jewelry around 16.5 KHz, Gold Nuggets above 20KHz

Even a single frequency machine will pickup all metal, but the metal will pick up better and deeper in a certain frequency zone. The AT Pro is a great example of a quality single frequency machine, but it has it's limits.

With a high end machine, you get what you pay for as far a technology. I've noticed some high end machine add lot of bells and whistles to jack the price up even more to catch the detectorist wallet, not the metal.

By understanding how a machine works and why, will help you make a better decision on a new machine for the type of detecting that will fit your style, objective, and pocketbook. Doing your homework to decide what you want in your next machine is much better then listening to all the chatter of my machine is better then yours, or just having the so called latest and greatest. I believe, the operator of the machine and knowing how it works and why is the biggest factor in finding quality targets.

Personally, on my next machine, I just want state of the art raw deep power with some tools to help me decide what to scoop or dig, no bells and whistles, just performance. And I believe a good multipurpose pulse machine will give me that.

So-Ca beach-scanner, wow you are thinking LONG AND HARD about this decision of yours :) No one can accuse you of "not doing your homework" on the pros and cons, haha. However, anything (youtube vids, other threads, consumer reviews, etc...) that you can get on the net, are going to have be "put into context". Because each hunting situation, location, soil type, goals-of-targets, junk situations, etc... is different.

If your dilemna was teensy jewelry, and/or mineralized/black sands, then I would agree with you that any of various pulse machines is the options. However, ........ ignorning for a moment your desire to get a machine for all-sorts-of other venues (nuggets, blah blah blah), and just focusing on the silver coin phenomenom that started this thread:

If we can ditch the talk about a "do-everything" machine for a moment, and focus just on that goal. Then assuming we're talking about normal So. CA dry sand, then I don't think you're talking nasty minerals there. Only certain beaches there in So CA are reknowned for nasty jet black minerals. Dockweiler for instance. And certain other ones when water cuts channel paths to the ocean, etc... But I'm going to assume that this portion of Long Beach (where you suspect more deep silver coins are, in that firm-pack ~8" down), then no, you don't need a pulse to reach those depths. And no, you don't need a pulse d/t we're not talking about nasty and/or wet minerals.

So that only leaves dainty fine tinsel thin chains, or earing studs. To that I would say that while this is true, yet ..... most standard coin machines (like the sov, explorer, etc...) can indeed *still* find some fairly small stuff. Yes not as small and dainty as a pulse machine, but I still manage to find pretty small stuff. And the depth is comparable, on coin-sized targets, to most of the available beach pulse machines.

You can expect about a ft. on coins with an explorer. Maybe 13" if you get the CTX and use the big coil. Perhaps 14" with a sov/wot combo. All of which will afford you iron disc. Now ask any beach pulse user how deep THEY can get coins to, and I believe you'll see that the depths are no better than those.

So the issue will be: how much iron just is there there? I know that where I'm doing my dry sand for silver coins (not unlike your Long Beach situation), I would indeed be be-devilled with teensy iron stuff, if I went the pulse route. All while gaining no depth (believe me, I've already tried.).

Anyhow, that's my two cents worth. If you want to get some IN-FIELD machine comparisons, let me know. And as I said, I know guys down your way, who have all the various options in their aresenals already, and are quite adept at each of them. You guys can test over flagged virgin targets. They would abide by the "code" and go by your say-so.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, I'm not looking for tiny tiny earring backs, etc but I did pick this tiny star shaped bling piece up with stock coil on CTX up at 8-10 inches in wet salty sand and was impressed to say the least. The nickel was laying under this rusty iron at approx 12-14 inches and it had no problem picking it. That's as good as I can ask for. If the ATX can do what the vids say then great, but for where I mostly hunt there's just too many tiny pieces of iron, screw caps, bobby pins , foil, etc for me to spend all my time digging with the type PI machine I have used.

Attachments

• image-3804057598.jpg
    image-3804057598.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 95
  • image-2723590868.jpg
    image-2723590868.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 99
  • image-2518264122.jpg
    image-2518264122.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions