Coastal Orange County, CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX, AT Pro, ProPointer, and a weirdly good sense of direction
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My "AT Pro" Has Reached it's Limit on These 5 Silvers, I'm Ready for a PI

-
Went back to an area in the Belmont Shore area of Long Beach, CA, that has old sand and has produced a couple of wheat's. The area of dry sand I worked is basically the size of a football field that has 6"-7" of soft top sand with very hard packed sand underneath. Based on the location, I just knew there was silver in the hard sand under the soft sand if I could hear that deep soft whisper of a high tone.

It was very early morning, so there was absolutely no outside noise, wind, or distractions. The area is virtually trash free, had the headphones cranked all the way up, I worked the machine wide open and slower then I have ever worked it (about a 3-second short slow swing) while skimming the sand with the coil. And with my self proclaimed ADD, scanning this slow was very trying and challenging, to say the least.
I dug lots of what I believed were deep whispers that disappeared after the first scoop. I heard my first true high tone whisper (in between shallow bottle tops that about took my head off with the volume so loud) after about twenty minutes and it showed a 92 on the display. I scooped and scanned three times through the soft sand as the tone got louder, then I chopped with the scoop at the hard sand for several more inches.

And there it was! A 1961 Franklin Silver Half. Then about every fifteen minutes or so I dug down in the hard packed sand for four more silver. FIVE SILVER TOTAL!!

It takes a lot of patience and concentration to work the machine that slow to hear the whispers of a good deep target, and I was ready to pick up the pace after an hour plus of that. I didn't cover much ground today, but the ground was good, and there is a lot more ground to cover. In areas that have quality targets that are deep, it difficult to constantly work a machine to it's limits, and then, you still wonder what your missing a few inches further down.

I believe if I had a Good PI Machine in that same area, along with other old sand areas I know of, I just may have a jar full of silver, and jewelry from the same era as the coins.

So now you guys know what I want for Christmas :) Just in time for the Winter Storms in January.

I really love my AT Pro, it has served me well, and still will, but it has it's limits, and I believe I'm ready for a Good PI Machine for areas just like I was at today, maybe an ATX? Still waiting for beach user reviews before I pull that trigger.

P1030868.JPG -- P1030876.JPG -- P1030873.JPG

Beautiful Morning .. About 58 Degrees when I Started .. These pictures are not the exact area that I worked ... Gotta have some secrets :)
KIMG0064.JPG -- KIMG0058.jpg

Thanks For Looking ... Keep on Swinging

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
So-CA-beach-hunter, I got your two PM's inviting me to chime in some more on this. For starters, all such talk & youtube videos about how various machine fare on nugget tests ....... to me .... don't mean much to me when it comes to beach hunting pro's & con's. Because it's already a GIVEN that nugget machines will do better on nuggets, that any of various beach/coin crossover machines (Sov's, excal's, explorers, CZ6, etc...). Because, doh, go figure, all such machines are not nugget machines, of course. Therefore the only merit to discussion of nugget machines, when it comes to a beach thread, is if the topic up-for-discussion is the ability to find dainty small things (earing studs, tinsel fine chains, etc...) at deep depths. Fine. Great. Wonderful. And certainly nugget machines and various beach pulses WILL do better at those type targets (while ironically maybe not getting coins any deeper though). And as we've discussed already, those plusses are often outweighed by the con's: namely, iron disc. As you read those posts and see the videos, this is even admitted there, where it's an endless game of 2nd guessing sounds, putting up with 50/50 trash ratios, blah blah blah. And as I've said, perhaps some beaches this isn't an issue. However, at other beaches, it would be an "issue".

And as for a nugget machines results in a park (the link you gave me), I can't think of many parks where anyone would attempt this. I know of people who've tried, but the trash ratios are WAY worse than 50/50. Oh sure, I too can think of parks where a nugget machine might afford me 15" depth on coins. Woohoo. But I would *love* to see you come try that trick at a bunch of parks I could show you :) Believe me, we've tried. For example: There's a certain park, in a certain big city, here in CA, that has a certain large meadow, that's given up 1000's of silver coins over the years. And it's very stratified for depths. Ie.: the older-the-deeper. And it's *all we can do* to reach the barbers (1900-ish losses). However, we know for a fact that the park was heavily trodden as far back as the 1870s. So logic dictates, therefore, that the seateds must be out of reach of our coin machines (explorers, etc...). Right? So yes, a few enterprising fellows have tried going out there with a) all-metal mode and digging deeper whispers, and b) nugget machines. And the pain is insurmountable though. Endless little teensy junk that fools you into thinking it *could* be a deep coin. I mean, I think the average person just doesn't realize how much junk can be in the average urban turfed junky park !

And as for any machine that can boast nickels and/or low conductors at insane depths, this may bode well for jewelry on the beach (back to the tinsel chain and earing stud discussion), but I don't know what bearing that has on parks or coins. Because think about it so-ca-hunter: since WHEN is the lack of low conductors EVER been an issue in parks, TO BEGIN WITH? I gaurantee you that you can simply turn down your disc, on even a cheapie machine, and go out to ANY urban blighted park , and dig low conductors till your arms fall off. So going deeper for a nickel in a park (when contrasted to the downsides) is hardly anyone's goals when turf hunting. Believe me: If I'm THAT hot & bothered to find a gold ring (or tinsel thin chain), then junky urban parks are NOT where I'm going to be hunting, TO BEGIN WITH! I'd head out to swimming beaches if gold jewelry is my aim, NOT junky urban parks to be a hero and angle 15" deep nickels.

And as for the talk of minerals in the dry sand at long beach: I may be wrong but I do NOT think it's of the caliber that mandates a nugget machine or beach pulse (at least not of "necessity", but yes, there ARE pro's to pulse units on the beaches there, and yes, a lot of pro's are swinging them and doing well). I was just down there earlier this year (admittedly on the other side of palos verdes, on the manhattan side of things), and I had no problems with minerals, on the dry sand. The mere fact that your ATX could reach ~8" on a coin there (albeit with difficulty and grasping for whispers) tells me right there, that this is not of the caliber of minerals that simply requires a pulse "hands down". I may be wrong (as I haven't hunted long beach in a few decades), but .. just sayin'

The only reason I entered your thread here, was the initial talk of silver-coins-at-depth. Because earlier this year, I'd goofed off on some of your So. CA beaches (during a travel layover there), and found some productive dry sand zones, with coins that evidenced having been there for many many years. But the thread devolved into quite an array of other venues, all of which have their own pro's & con's. But if the discussion is brought back to silver-coins at depth (and "normal" gold jewelry), then I'm still of the opinion that a host of regular coin machines would afford you all you need, and kick your ATX's b*tt. JMHO

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Wow! Tom ... Chill Down :) that info you look at was just some first posted tests of the ATX playing in a park and fresh water beach setting. Like I said before, my interest in the ATX is in the surf and wet sand that have a good amount of black iron in it. And if it will hit deeper then my AT Pro on un-trashy dry sand, so much the better.

Have a Great Thanksgiving

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Correction: on the last two paragraphs, of my last post, I meant your AT pro, not "ATX", as your past-tense machine.

Good luck and let us know how you do with your ATX. Do me/us a favor, and take it back to the exact same zone where you found those 5 deep silver coins (the ones you were grasping at depth to reach), and let us know if your ATX pulls yet more silver from there. And if so, how deep, how much iron to deal with to get them, etc.. Looking forward to hearing the results.

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correction: on the last two paragraphs, of my last post, I meant your AT pro, not "ATX", as your past-tense machine.

Good luck and let us know how you do with your ATX. Do me/us a favor, and take it back to the exact same zone where you found those 5 deep silver coins (the ones you were grasping at depth to reach), and let us know if your ATX pulls yet more silver from there. And if so, how deep, how much iron to deal with to get them, etc.. Looking forward to hearing the results.

Will do Tom ... I will bring both machines to that exact area to get a first feel of it and to run tests.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you'd like, I can bring my E-trac and Excalibur up there and do a 4 way test! :icon_thumleft:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTH was all that? Thought we were talking about detectors not shopping????

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you'd like, I can bring my E-trac and Excalibur up there and do a 4 way test! :icon_thumleft:

Cudamark,

I'll bring my CTX with 11" and 17" coil and we'll do a 6 way test. Problem is I'm on the east side of US. :)

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cudamark,

I'll bring my CTX with 11" and 17" coil and we'll do a 6 way test. Problem is I'm on the east side of US. :)

I know i saw that shopping but aswell he posted it on at least 3, other threads of peoples not sure where or what that was all about

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I could get down with u guys doin all the tests bring in the v3i with all the sef coils & bring the deus xp in that would be one hell of a day alot of awesome machines comparing at one time

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So thats who they, its more then just urs im subscribed to a few others & they did the same to 3 others

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cudamark,

Hey Fletch, there is a relatively new invention out there that will get you here in 4-5 hours.....the airplane.....:laughing7: If you fly into San Diego, I'll even pick you up and drive you up to Long Beach if SCBS invites us up to do the tests!

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-
Hey Fletch, there is a relatively new invention out there that will get you here in 4-5 hours.....the airplane.....:laughing7: If you fly into San Diego, I'll even pick you up and drive you up to Long Beach if SCBS invites us up to do the tests!

Come up anytime guys, my new toy will be in my hands early next week. We can have a In-Your-Face type party afterwards :)

Last edited:

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man im gettin jealous im not closer, how cool would that be to get basically all the machines together & put them all to the same tests using all stock programs no upgraded coils or changing menú options just turn em on & really see which ones stand out & do whats said they really do

OP
OP
SoCalBeachScanner

SoCalBeachScanner

Aug 17, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man im gettin jealous im not closer, how cool would that be to get basically all the machines together & put them all to the same tests using all stock programs no upgraded coils or changing menú options just turn em on & really see which ones stand out & do whats said they really do

I agree ... The more machines, the better ... We can video tape the whole thing and we can shut the whole world up once and for all.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thoughts exactly between everyone who has commented on here I think theres just about every decent machine made & when has there been an event or a face off with all at the same spot/target very cool

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
-

Come up anytime guys, my new toy will be in my hands early next week. We can have a In-Your-Face type party afterwards :)
Sounds good to me.....just name the time and place.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Fletch, there this is a relatively new invention out there that will get you here in 4-5 hours.....the airplane.....:laughing7: If you fly into San Diego, I'll even pick you up and drive you up to Long Beach if SCBS invites us up to do the tests!
Sounds like a plan! Thanks Cudamark. I've never been to the west coast where black/ highly mineralized sand conditions are. Are we talking a weekend or weekday venture?

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll leave that to you guys.....I'm good either way. Don't worry Fletch, the Minelabs have no problem with the black sand.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread