The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hadn't been to some nearby fields for awhile and when I first saw them I thought, 'Dayum, that is some good looking grass!' I was wondering if my skills were up to any attempt at digging in that beautiful stuff. In my defense, it was still somewhat dark out. Turns out, they had completely renovated the fields with AstroTurf. There's drainage, etc., and they don't have to water, and they don't have to worry about muddy fields, and there will never be any more goodies to be found on those fields. The only saving grace is that most finds are off the fields anyway...but it still has reduced the huntable area by 80%. Maybe it will concentrate the finds into smaller areas...any drops on the field will be found sooner or later by eyeball unless very small. I only hunt this place anymore to get out of the house and swing my arm for a while...but another set of fields I checked out this morning has gone the same route.

turf.jpg

Caught in the act by Google Earth...
turf-2.jpg

These fields were redone too...probably right after the ones above were done.
turf-3.jpg

Upvote 0

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never dig a ball field or soccer field around here because most places frown on it. I have never found more than a cpl dimes close to the dugouts anyway. Actually i don't hunt much close to the grandstands or bleecher areas either. I find more close to the parking areas and concession stands. Yesterday me and my grandson found over $23 at a athletic field close to the concession stands and the grassy areas going to the grandstands. He found $10.39 with an ACE 250 and I found $13.20 with my ATP

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The rangers around here give folks a lot of latitude and there is no problem digging on the fields, unless you leave a mess. I understand it can be different elsewhere. Usually hit them during the wet season anyway...the players do way more damage than I could ever do. There can be good finds on the fields themselves, depending on age and usage, but, you're right, most of the time it's pretty desolate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread