toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey hey hey,

Do any of you guys dump your clad through soda machines? My buddy turned me onto it saying it was a quick way to get rid of a pocket full of dirty clad. I don't have a tumbler, but I find that most machines will take the dirty coins after just a rinse in water. One machine even gave back dollar bills after I put in 4 quarters and hit coin return. Has anyone ever seen any negative consequences from this? I'm sure the vendor won't be thrilled with them but it is certainly legal tender. Just wanted to get some feedback. Thanks!

Upvote 0

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
around here home depot self serve isle will let you drop a pocket full of change in the all at once the machine and it counts it for you. As long as you need to do some home improvements...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'v heard of using soda machines But Haven't tried mainly because of the Amount I would have to put in
would mean spending 15 Minutes to a half hour there emptying it out.
If I were seen at a machine that long, it could cause Nosey people to
have problems.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A guy by the name of Mudpuppy on findmall mentioned it and I just had to try it. It works, dump in the money and hit the coin return. Worse case scenario, it's out of change and you get a soda!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin star machines will take pretty much everything including dirty clad. If you choose to get your cash in the form of a gift card to places like Home Depot, Amazon.com. Or iTunes, with no charge. I also sometimes use my banks coin counter, and it too takes pretty much everything except damaged pennies.

wildcarrot

Oct 5, 2013
SoCal
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
old used white's surfmaster PI, Dual Field, DFX, Minelab GM 1000 and Nox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've rolled up hundreds of dollars in found clad and exchanged it for cash at my bank. Really ugly coins but counted and rolled the bank will take them :)

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's what I do also. I just tell them what they are, and they wont want to use them in their teller trays. I use the same branch we have personal and business accounts with for the last 12 years, never a problem, just hate rolling!
I've rolled up hundreds of dollars in found clad and exchanged it for cash at my bank. Really ugly coins but counted and rolled the bank will take them :)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Hey hey hey,

Do any of you guys dump your clad through soda machines? My buddy turned me onto it saying it was a quick way to get rid of a pocket full of dirty clad. I don't have a tumbler, but I find that most machines will take the dirty coins after just a rinse in water. One machine even gave back dollar bills after I put in 4 quarters and hit coin return. Has anyone ever seen any negative consequences from this? I'm sure the vendor won't be thrilled with them but it is certainly legal tender. Just wanted to get some feedback. Thanks!

oh man, years ago I used to use my gallon bucket of clad (from a few good years of beach storm hunting) to buy stamps for my own's company's monthly billing. I'd go down to the lobby of the post office and feed in $50+ dollars of dimes, quarters, nickels, etc....! Then hit the selection button to buy a roll of stamps :) I did this for about a year, anytime I needed a roll of stamps for my own company.

Till ...... one day ... the lobby machine jammed ! (apparently a coin I'd fed in had a sand grain still on it or whatever) . The counter indicated I had, thus far, put in about $20+ of coins. So I was unwilling to walk away from good money. So I rang the lobby assistance button, to get an assistant to come out to help. The fellow came out, and used his key to un-lock the machine. Imagine his surprise when he looks in the tray, and sees all the brownish green coins! He spins around, looks at me, and yells ... "YOU!!!!"

He explained that it was his job to open the machine, roll the coins, and send them off to the bank. However, about 1x p/month, he kept encountering a hundred or so filthy brown/green coins. After closely studying them, he determined they were legal tender. So he rolled them with the rest, and sent them off. *However*, the bank called the post office (apparently they traced the account #'s which were written on the rolls) to the post office. They had been giving the rolls out to customers, who ..... in turn ... complained to the bank. The bank, in turn, traced them back to the post office. The post office essentially told the bank "tough, that's your problem. It's legal tender". (what else were they going to do ?)

So naturally the postal worker had lots of questions for me. In the end, we each had a good laugh, and he didn't care 8-)

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh man, years ago I used to use my gallon bucket of clad (from a few good years of beach storm hunting) to buy stamps for my own's company's monthly billing. I'd go down to the lobby of the post office and feed in $50+ dollars of dimes, quarters, nickels, etc....! Then hit the selection button to buy a roll of stamps :) I did this for about a year, anytime I needed a roll of stamps for my own company.

Till ...... one day ... the lobby machine jammed ! (apparently a coin I'd fed in had a sand grain still on it or whatever) . The counter indicated I had, thus far, put in about $20+ of coins. So I was unwilling to walk away from good money. So I rang the lobby assistance button, to get an assistant to come out to help. The fellow came out, and used his key to un-lock the machine. Imagine his surprise when he looks in the tray, and sees all the brownish green coins! He spins around, looks at me, and yells ... "YOU!!!!"

He explained that it was his job to open the machine, roll the coins, and send them off to the bank. However, about 1x p/month, he kept encountering a hundred or so filthy brown/green coins. After closely studying them, he determined they were legal tender. So he rolled them with the rest, and sent them off. *However*, the bank called the post office (apparently they traced the account #'s which were written on the rolls) to the post office. They had been giving the rolls out to customers, who ..... in turn ... complained to the bank. The bank, in turn, traced them back to the post office. The post office essentially told the bank "tough, that's your problem. It's legal tender". (what else were they going to do ?)

So naturally the postal worker had lots of questions for me. In the end, we each had a good laugh, and he didn't care 8-)

Lol thats good

OP
OP
toorude89

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks everyone. I did dump a bunch of clad in the coinstar at Giant once and it jammed the machine. The lady came and opened it up and saw my dirty clad and was not happy. I guess I will roll from now on, seems easier.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. I did dump a bunch of clad in the coinstar at Giant once and it jammed the machine. The lady came and opened it up and saw my dirty clad and was not happy. I guess I will roll from now on, seems easier.

Who cares if she wasnt happy, that's her job.

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use my clad at the local car wash but that only works for the quarters. I guess I will have to wrap the rest.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use my clad at the local car wash but that only works for the quarters. I guess I will have to wrap the rest.

I use my quarters at the Car wash, & Laundry Mat.

& Damaged Quarters at Aldies in the Grocery Cart.

Damian77

Nov 7, 2013
Knoxville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

LOL hilarious!

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done it a few times...But I seem to lose a quarter or dime hear and there....So its not really worht it for me...not when you have like 20 bucks in dirty clad

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rolling coins is too much work IMO. It's coinstar for me.....or the self serve check-out kiosks at various stores. I just clean the coins good enough so they don't jam. The holey zincolns go to a charity that accepts them.

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rolling dirty coin finds is they absolute perfect activity for days where hunting is not possible. Especially bad weather. And I'm not heartless. I always roll with the nice clad one the outside of the roll, and the dirty within. Like a Dirty clad sandwich. I don't care what the bank thinks. They've made enough off me to make it impossible for them to lose money from a few dirty coins.

Like they, at the bank, would say, while gouging your eyes out with fees, "it's just business, nothing personal, bank policy"

mariposagold

Bronze Member
May 1, 2012
Mariposa, California. USA
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Classic SL, Bullseye II Probe, Garrett Groundhog.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rolling coins is too much work IMO. It's coinstar for me.....or the self serve check-out kiosks at various stores. I just clean the coins good enough so they don't jam. The holey zincolns go to a charity that accepts them.

I haven't found a charity that takes bad zincolns yet. Have any suggestions?

Speaking of rolling in bad weather, not much of that down your way. Too bad I wasn't hunting when I lived in San Diego.

HH

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the red buckets for salvation army don't see anything. or use em when the firemen have the boot out

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread