Soda Machine Clad Dump
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Soda Machine Clad Dump

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jul 2012
    East Coast
    Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
    269 times
    Metal Detecting

Soda Machine Clad Dump

Hey hey hey,

Do any of you guys dump your clad through soda machines? My buddy turned me onto it saying it was a quick way to get rid of a pocket full of dirty clad. I don't have a tumbler, but I find that most machines will take the dirty coins after just a rinse in water. One machine even gave back dollar bills after I put in 4 quarters and hit coin return. Has anyone ever seen any negative consequences from this? I'm sure the vendor won't be thrilled with them but it is certainly legal tender. Just wanted to get some feedback. Thanks!

us
    Feb 2013
    Troy, MI
    Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
    26 times
    Metal Detecting
    around here home depot self serve isle will let you drop a pocket full of change in the all at once the machine and it counts it for you. As long as you need to do some home improvements...

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County, Pa.
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO's .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    43160 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I'v heard of using soda machines But Haven't tried mainly because of the Amount I would have to put in
    would mean spending 15 Minutes to a half hour there emptying it out.
    If I were seen at a machine that long, it could cause Nosey people to
    have problems.

us
    Sep 2012
    D'Iberville MS
    E-Trac Equinox 800 Equinox 600
    806 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I would rather use coinstar.

us
    Dec 2012
    Peshtigo, Wisconsin
    Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
    347 times
    Metal Detecting
    A guy by the name of Mudpuppy on findmall mentioned it and I just had to try it. It works, dump in the money and hit the coin return. Worse case scenario, it's out of change and you get a soda!

Jun 2007
    Minnesota
    Tiger Shark, Xterra 705
    3386 times
    Coin star machines will take pretty much everything including dirty clad. If you choose to get your cash in the form of a gift card to places like Home Depot, Amazon.com. Or iTunes, with no charge. I also sometimes use my banks coin counter, and it too takes pretty much everything except damaged pennies.
    I'm a greater believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it”

Thomas Jefferson

us
    Rich

Oct 2013
    SoCal
    old used white's surfmaster PI, DFX & DF
    2132 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I've rolled up hundreds of dollars in found clad and exchanged it for cash at my bank. Really ugly coins but counted and rolled the bank will take them
    cooper1841 likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2012
    S.E. Michigan.
    Minelab CTX 3030.... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
    2366 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    That's what I do also. I just tell them what they are, and they wont want to use them in their teller trays. I use the same branch we have personal and business accounts with for the last 12 years, never a problem, just hate rolling!
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcarrot View Post
    I've rolled up hundreds of dollars in found clad and exchanged it for cash at my bank. Really ugly coins but counted and rolled the bank will take them
    1844 Canadian Half Cent ... (2) 1859 Canadian Large Cent... 1873 Three Cent Nickle... 2- 1864 U.S. 2 Cent Piece... 1858 Seated Half Dime... 1875 Seated Half Dollar... 1863 Fatty IH ... Civil War Eagle I button ... Frisbie's Civil War Store Token

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    10107 times
    Banner Finds (4)

Quote Originally Posted by toorude89 View Post
    Hey hey hey,

Do any of you guys dump your clad through soda machines? My buddy turned me onto it saying it was a quick way to get rid of a pocket full of dirty clad. I don't have a tumbler, but I find that most machines will take the dirty coins after just a rinse in water. One machine even gave back dollar bills after I put in 4 quarters and hit coin return. Has anyone ever seen any negative consequences from this? I'm sure the vendor won't be thrilled with them but it is certainly legal tender. Just wanted to get some feedback. Thanks!
    oh man, years ago I used to use my gallon bucket of clad (from a few good years of beach storm hunting) to buy stamps for my own's company's monthly billing. I'd go down to the lobby of the post office and feed in $50+ dollars of dimes, quarters, nickels, etc....! Then hit the selection button to buy a roll of stamps I did this for about a year, anytime I needed a roll of stamps for my own company.

Till ...... one day ... the lobby machine jammed ! (apparently a coin I'd fed in had a sand grain still on it or whatever) . The counter indicated I had, thus far, put in about $20+ of coins. So I was unwilling to walk away from good money. So I rang the lobby assistance button, to get an assistant to come out to help. The fellow came out, and used his key to un-lock the machine. Imagine his surprise when he looks in the tray, and sees all the brownish green coins! He spins around, looks at me, and yells ... "YOU!!!!"

He explained that it was his job to open the machine, roll the coins, and send them off to the bank. However, about 1x p/month, he kept encountering a hundred or so filthy brown/green coins. After closely studying them, he determined they were legal tender. So he rolled them with the rest, and sent them off. *However*, the bank called the post office (apparently they traced the account #'s which were written on the rolls) to the post office. They had been giving the rolls out to customers, who ..... in turn ... complained to the bank. The bank, in turn, traced them back to the post office. The post office essentially told the bank "tough, that's your problem. It's legal tender". (what else were they going to do ?)

So naturally the postal worker had lots of questions for me. In the end, we each had a good laugh, and he didn't care

us
    its never lost

Mar 2013
    mass North Attleboro
    Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
    811 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post

oh man, years ago I used to use my gallon bucket of clad (from a few good years of beach storm hunting) to buy stamps for my own's company's monthly billing. I'd go down to the lobby of the post office and feed in $50+ dollars of dimes, quarters, nickels, etc....! Then hit the selection button to buy a roll of stamps I did this for about a year, anytime I needed a roll of stamps for my own company.

Till ...... one day ... the lobby machine jammed ! (apparently a coin I'd fed in had a sand grain still on it or whatever) . The counter indicated I had, thus far, put in about $20+ of coins. So I was unwilling to walk away from good money. So I rang the lobby assistance button, to get an assistant to come out to help. The fellow came out, and used his key to un-lock the machine. Imagine his surprise when he looks in the tray, and sees all the brownish green coins! He spins around, looks at me, and yells ... "YOU!!!!"

He explained that it was his job to open the machine, roll the coins, and send them off to the bank. However, about 1x p/month, he kept encountering a hundred or so filthy brown/green coins. After closely studying them, he determined they were legal tender. So he rolled them with the rest, and sent them off. *However*, the bank called the post office (apparently they traced the account #'s which were written on the rolls) to the post office. They had been giving the rolls out to customers, who ..... in turn ... complained to the bank. The bank, in turn, traced them back to the post office. The post office essentially told the bank "tough, that's your problem. It's legal tender". (what else were they going to do ?)

So naturally the postal worker had lots of questions for me. In the end, we each had a good laugh, and he didn't care
    Lol thats good
    cooper1841 likes this.

us
    Jul 2012
    East Coast
    Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
    269 times
    Metal Detecting
    Thanks everyone. I did dump a bunch of clad in the coinstar at Giant once and it jammed the machine. The lady came and opened it up and saw my dirty clad and was not happy. I guess I will roll from now on, seems easier.

us
    Jan 2012
    Garrett Ace250 Minelab Safari
    402 times
    Quote Originally Posted by toorude89 View Post
    Thanks everyone. I did dump a bunch of clad in the coinstar at Giant once and it jammed the machine. The lady came and opened it up and saw my dirty clad and was not happy. I guess I will roll from now on, seems easier.
    Who cares if she wasnt happy, that's her job.

us
    Apr 2013
    SW MONTANA
    MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
    78 times
    Metal Detecting
    I use my clad at the local car wash but that only works for the quarters. I guess I will have to wrap the rest.

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County, Pa.
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO's .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    43160 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by team sidewinder View Post
    I use my clad at the local car wash but that only works for the quarters. I guess I will have to wrap the rest.
    I use my quarters at the Car wash, & Laundry Mat.

& Damaged Quarters at Aldies in the Grocery Cart.
    team sidewinder likes this.

us
    Nov 2013
    Knoxville, TN
    Garrett Ace 250
    12 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post

LOL hilarious!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links