Newbie Metal Detector Here. Any Tips?

W

Wolfmight

Hey, John here.
We've got a Bounty Huner Lone Star Metal Detector and I'm tryin it out for the first time.

I've found a little bit of stuff throughout my life without a metal detector and the best was:

2 Old South African coins during a dig at someone house.

An antique Toy-Car buried REALLY DEEP underground at my old house. We were fixing an outgoing waterpipe and had to dig pretty deep. All the sudden I find this little toy car at the bottom of a 7ft hole.

And most recently, an ancient SUN DIAL in my current home's backyard! It was only 1ft underground when I pulled it up. We were building a ramp for our garage and I noticed something glare in the dirt.

Ever since I found that antique Sun Dial, I knew this yard must have more! Now I'm searching in that same area.

I really want to find coins more than anything though. What's the best way to set the BountyHunter LoneStar MD to pick up coinage?

Also, when you dig the dirt...what's the best way to...well...Dig the dirt and filter it out for items?

I live in Austin,TX.
My family owns part of a ranch out in Gonzalas, Texas...one of the locations involved with the Mexican-American War. There haven't been tons of finds out there, but I've heard a few stories of people finding parts of antique firearms, bullets, and national coinage of the Republic of Texas...when it was it's own nation.

Our Ranch is HUGE though, so it would be wise to pinpoint the very best locations possible before starting. Otherwise, we could be searching for months.

Thanks a million.
John

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
partenr said:
That's funny SC_hunter. I guess I get a little excited. As you can see, if one uses it like I do, it will probe 6 inches rather than the advertised 5 inches LOL!
Ha ha I used to get excited to but back then it was not regarding MD'ing in any ways it was Ladies then...3 hours ago... ;D ;D

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Hey Wolfmight, welcome to TNet and the wonderful world of treasure hunting. :)
Just thought ya might wanna hear a little trick I learned for setting up a rather complicated MD, ( which I sold in favor of a less complicated one). It requires a little gardening though. First you take all kinds of coins, Dollars of different sizes and colors etc, Half dollars, quarters etc.. Bury them in your own back yard at different depths and in variuos positions IE on edge on side, slanted. Then label them as you go with a marker above ground so you know exactly what your listening to. Then practice ! You'll be pullin up 20 -30 -40 pull tabs a day in no time. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread