Keep digging?

R

redstarr

I am very new to metal detecting (in fact mostly what I've detected has been my own yard and the surrounding alley way) and am using a very cheap Bounty Hunter metal detector. My metal detector signals like crazy over one spot up against the side of my house. The spot is against the wall, near where a gutter drains out, near where the air conditioning unit currently is. The house was built in 1888. I dug down about two or so feet down(as deep as I could dig with a hand spade while laying on the ground). On the way down, I found a few junk objects like nails and a hinge, but nothing substantial, but even after removing the junk finds, the metal detector still signals strongly like it's finding something. I wouldn't think it would be picking up something any deeper than that,would it? Nothing else the MD has signalled on has been that deep under the ground. Could it be something like a sewer pipe or something (though it doesn't signal like that anywhere else where near my house)? Or should I break out the big shovel and dig a big hole? It wouldn't have to be a wide hole because the signal pinpoints fairly precisely. I don't want to dig a deep hole in my own yard if it's probably just a gas line or something. Anyone had the same type of signal near their house? Should I keep digging or ignore it?

Upvote 0
W

Wolfmight

yes, I'm new too and I also use a BountyHunter. There's a spot next to our shed that signals the Silver Detection like crazy and I dug a 1x1 foot hole..about 1 ft deep and the signal is still there...don't know how deep to dig really, but I'm working on it. Hopefully a shiny piece of silver down there.

I'm thinking about getting some fine metal screen and building a dirt sifter (or whatever they call them) to screen the dirt for objects.
I feel my fingers miss about half the objects trying to screen the dirt themselves.

;D I have found an antique sun dial near the same area though.

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
Could be alot of things. Many times either the rebar or just the "mix" of some concrete will make your MD freak out. Reduce you sensativity and see if that helps.

How close are you to the down spout? The reason I ask, if you have a swing set with metal chains on the swings, go MD under the swing, you will get false readings from the metal ABOVE the coil, too! :-\

Might be the electrical line for the A/C unit, BE CAREFUL 240V! :o

Is the A/C unit on a pad? This could cause a problem as well.

Don't discount the LOW PRICED Bounty Hunter, they find stuff deep! 8) And if you are going to Dig everything anyway, what do all the bells and whistles matter on the high end machines? ???

Could there be an old coal shoot behind the bricks? Check you basement.

Like any MD, if the object is very large, you could be looking at 2, 3 or even 4 or more feet deep, if it's big.

Find a piece of metal rod, about 1/4 inch in diameter and about 6 feet long. Bend the top into a "T" shape and "probe" the ground at the spot you think the object is at, if you hit something solid, continue to dig.

Welcome to TNET, sound like you got the bug already.

;D

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
If you have a good pinpointer,try using it around the hole an see if the signal appears,A pinpointer will save a person alot of digging,Be careful in case you have underground utilities. You can dig three feet down and still be picking up the signal from the side of your coil,this is why a pinpointer will safe you from unnecessary digging,good luck,and always ask questions,Not only are you learning something,alot of others are also,thats what i like about Metal detecting,everyone on this forum,and a few others,are always offering assistance when they can,Ronald99 ???

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Good points nc-joe and ronald99.

redstarr,not knowing your house foundation makeup, could it be picking up something on the other side of the brick foundation---like AC ductwork or possibly electrical lines to your AC? If you just have a crawl space under the house, look and see if there is something adjacent to where you are digging. Also a house that old may have lead sealed cast iron sewer lines. ??? In the meantime good luck and HH!

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Experiance suggests that this is most likely a large target that probably is not worth digging.
If something is so big that that you can't find it after 2 feet in the ground, then its probably bigger and deeper,
or its on the other side of your foundation wall.

You could dig a bigger hole, you mite eventually find it or if its on the other side of the wall, your machine will
just keep going off and going off...

I usually don't dig signals that sound so big they could be some kind of construction piece.....
although it could be a cache.... but most likely not....
good luck....

OP
OP
R

redstarr

Thanks for the advice guys. I especially hadn't considered the coil picking up things related to the gutter or the air conditioner. Since it's pouring down rain outside today and I want to play anyway I'm going to detect underneath my house. It's built with a "crawlspace" that's really more of a "duck your head slightly space". Maybe I can find something underneath the house. Afterall, if it's big enough for me to store things under there, maybe the previous owner did,too. And maybe from the side of the wall beside where the signal goes off, I can see if it signals on both sides (and if does I bet it's nothing worth investigating, don't wanna be like that guy in CA. :D0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread