Bad Experiences...?

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None here I met a real nice guy he should me things & id like to say I showed him stuff as well. We dont go out anymore he actually got another job he needed to support his family. I will say I do like goin out by myself mostly, but its alot of fun goin with another one who has ur values & respect of the land, its fun comparing signals,who finds what & then average life stories. Meet up for coffee befor goin out introduce urself so u dont just show up at a random place not atleast knowing anything about who ur with & If u feel comfortable then move forward. Hh

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MineLab Explorer I & II, SE Pro, Fisher CZ-20, Fisher 6a, Bounty Hunter LandStar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Hobby attracts all types... I can not deal with hunters that leave holes just because they are in the woods. Me, like so many others would rather go out alone, although I have a couple of hunting buddies that are fun to hunt with...

Philo

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one buddy that I've gone out hunting with a few times. Every time we go somewhere, I find little to nothing and he finds even less.
Suffice to say, we're bad luck for each other.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one buddy that I've gone out hunting with a few times. Every time we go somewhere, I find little to nothing and he finds even less.
Suffice to say, we're bad luck for each other.

Thats actually happens to my hunting buddy and I sometimes...I can hunt with him for 8 hours stright...not find much....then I go out by myself and find something the first 20 mins...But its all luck.

But overall, i havent had any issues with hunting with Fellow Tnet'ers....Its nice to find people that share the same interest....Lord knows my Wife hates hearing about coins and mintages..etc.....lol

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to hunt with ONE other person (no more than three others depending where we are hunting.). I have had no problems hunting with folks as we all share the same values. If I hunt with new people I simply tell them that all land must be respected irregardless if you are on public land or in the middle of nowhere. If people don't agree with my ethics I don't hunt with them period. Sounds harsh but I want to respect other people's property and represent the hobby of metal detecting to the best of my abilities. I also like to teach new folks that if they disrespect the land they will ruin the image of MD-ers and we may lose the privelage/right to hunt certain areas. That being said, to this point I have only ever refused to hunt with one person. In the end that person was issued a citation for digging private property without permission. (and not filling in the holes he made.) "That'll learn ya!"

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunted with a guy a couple time and everything went fine. One day I was going threw town and they were tearing out sidewalks, so I stop and ask workers if I can detect and they say go for it. I found a ton of old coins asked where the dirt was being hauled to and was told the water treatment plant. So I go to the water treatment plant and ask a worker if I can hunt dirt piles and he says go for it. Well I tell my buddy and the next day he calls city hall to ask if he can hunt sidewalk tear out and they say noway that would'nt be (legal). And don't let us catch you doing it or else. So next he calls water treatment plant and ask the big boss and he says if anyone is caught on property they would be tried for criminal trespassing. I found a couple of other guys who are a joy to detect with.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a lone hunter, enjoy my peace & quiet, but I would hunt with a buddy if time & life allowed it. Never know when I 'll need help hauling that chest full of gold I never find back to the truck! HH to all!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My husband hunted with and showed a guy a place several years back but the guy never returned the favor. Hubs was driving down the street to the location of the place he showed his friend and there he was solo hunting.Meh.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My husband hunted with and showed a guy a place several years back but the guy never returned the favor. Hubs was driving down the street to the location of the place he showed his friend and there he was solo hunting.Meh.

Not a fan of stuff like that to me i was showed a couple great spots & given permission by the person I was hunting with to back any time no problem. Its just not how i am ive never returned great spot lots of history but it doesnt feel like mine & I said I will not unless you are here to, to me its just not Fair id feel pretty bad If I was the one that found that crazy ítem after the work had been done & research. There just off limits unless im invited

webatch

Nov 4, 2012
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Compass Challenger X-80
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will have to say while getting away from everyone and having some solitude can be satisfying.

There is a safety factor in having someone else around. I helped get a hunter out of the woods yesterday... it took the sheriff's dept, the ambulance service, and two fire dept.s....

He might never have been found had he been alone. He went down for some unknown medical reason and it was pretty rough terrain. Anything can happen so its nice to have someone in shouting distance.

Like others have said it can be a lot of fun comparing finds and stories. Hunting together doesn't mean you have to be right on top of each other either.

Have any of you ever been hunting with someone and your both so intent on your machines that you lost each other?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find the old saying is true....."two's company, but three is a crowd" applies here....but it's more like "four is ok but not more". Depending on where you're hunting and how big the area, you can attract too much attention with a big group. It's much easier to blend into the background the fewer you are. It's also fun to have a friendly competition among hunting buddies!

carcusrex

Jan 2, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC, Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I prefer detecting with someone far more then by myself. I usually detect with one friend most of the time. Sometimes three of us can work out our schedules to go out but most of the time its just two of us. We carpool to save on gas, we will play games like betting who will find the first button or sometimes after a good days digging we will go out to eat to celebrate our days finds and talk about what might have gone on back in the day when the item was lost. LOL, one time my friend hit a new area that was having the vegitation cleared by the land owner and he new i was at work so he text me to show off his finds, then I said i will go tomorrow and he said that he hit the area pretty hard and that he will give me a dollar for every good find. Haha I said "Your on" well in the end I got $15.00... For me if I spend a lot of time doing the research and then find a virgin area I will go detect it myself first but usually I end up calling my friends to plan an outting together. But you know, the places I go to can be detected for years and still give up great finds, it might be different if a new place could be cleaned out in a weekend.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have hunted alone a lot, and I used to hunt with my next door neighbour quite a bit. Neither of us had a lot of time thru the week,or even on Saturday sometime. We would get up on Sunday morning before dawn, go to a pancake house that had great coffee, eat, talk, and then decide where we wanted to hunt. We would try to get to our destination just after it was light enough to see what we were doing. I have hunted with another person or two; but not often. I've not had any problems hunting with anyone.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hunted with a friend at work a few times, but for the most part, I prefer to go alone. It's hard to concentrate and cover an area effectively when someone's constantly yelling " Hey, look at this!". I was hunting a small town park a couple months ago alone, when a kid comes riding up on a bike with a detector and fishing rod. I kept hunting the area I was in and the township supervisor comes driving by. He yells over "Make sure and fill in the holes"and I yelled back " I ALWAYS do!". I glanced over at the kid to see if he heard and he had left. After finishing my area, I thought I should go see what he had done. There were some terrible attempts at backfilling. I fixed them as best I could. I hope to see him again to give him a lesson in making sure we always are welcome there.:metaldetector:

Last edited:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've got a buddy that hunts with me some but he's not addicted as I am. I even drive 50 miles to his town and can't get him to got most times. He's more into deer hunting in the cool days I like to detect. But I have never had someone join me with a detector. I've had a lot of curious people come up and ask me, "Will that thang find money?" I just answer no, just pop tops. I collect them.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Safety. You need a partner if you hunt in the forest. So many dangers and if you are injured .. who will help you ? Hornets , Yellowjackets , we have these things called Japanese Hornets which are as big and thick as your finger , they nest in trees. You have dead trees that are killers. Snakes are not much of a problem around here. They seem to know to get out of your way. Once while relic hunting near Shiloh Battlefield , I almost stepped backwards into a hand dug well ! Then you have marijuana growers and moonshiners. Almost everybody around here has a still and smokes a little weed. I'm in East Tennesse. Remember what Steve Earle said , You better stay away from Copperhead Road ! Actually , thats a real place ! Its real name is Copperhead Hollow Road and is near Mountain City , Tn.
If I hunted parks , school yards and baseball fields , I would probably be a lone wolf , but hunting relics on a mountain. No way !

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have went out with a guy on occasion but most often I run into others detecting as well. I always ask them if they mind if I hunt there too. I usually try to hunt in a different area then them so I am not encroaching on the area they picked to hunt. I did have one guy say what's the use of hunting if someone else is hunting my park.

Most guys are really pretty nice and enjoy the company however everyone seems to keep their favorite place to hunt a secret...lol

I also enjoy it because you can share tips you use to find more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread