Okie Treasure

Nov 24, 2013
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's the best brand?

I know...opinions are like (insert body part) ...everyone has one...and everyone else's stinks! But here goes.

We are now retired and I'm looking at metal detecting as a hobby that we can do while traveling around the country in our motorhome. Probably gulf beaches and all over the US. Hunting for all kinds of stuff...but would like to fine more coins, jewelry and artifacts than cans and pull tops! :hello2:

Looking at $200 - $400 (or so) for detector. I don't want cheep junk, but want learn on one that is good enough to keep a couple of years before thinking I have to have a bigger/better (more expensive) one.

I've been doing some research and reading on line in different places...and want to hear what you all have to say.

1. Pin pointers...Garrett Pro Pointer or Minelab Pro Find 25 ?

2. BEST 3 - 4 brands IN ORDER for quality, bang for the buck, and durability.

3. If you had never used a metal detector...which 2 specific units (in that price range) would you choose between? ???

Thanks for the info!
Gary

Upvote 0

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$200-400 for a beach detector? Good luck! I guess I'd be looking for used multi freq Fisher CZ or Minelab.

As for the Pin pointer... Garrett period!

Best brands (not in order)
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett (all US made if it matters), Minelab

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cans & pull tabs u wont get around that especialy with $200-400 machine id try And save up more maybe 5-6 or so
-definetly a garret propointer will do the job i have both I think the minelabe does go a little deeper but the garrett seems to me at least I can be more rough with it If that makes sence,
-as of machines id first think of really what ull be wanting to look for & If ur wanting only land hunting or water or both. If both & only $400 mayb you could find a used atpro that would fit the bill so my 4 choices from what it sounds like ull be doing
Garret Atpro $400+ water/land
Fisher ive seen nice f70 & f75 around 600
(.could go for a f5 land machine)
Whites older dfx,mxt,mxt pro,
Tesoro If you dont want display they also have some good land machines u could stay withing ur budget
Along with minelabe's 305,505 & maybe used higher end
I think If $200-400 is definetly it then id consider goin used for a higher end machine that ull get more out of. Good luck for now

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is not a machine out there that will discriminate between gold and foil, pull tabs, canslaw, etc. A large mens gold ring can even get into the coin range. Junk is a fact of life if you want to find gold jewelry. If you are just looking for coins, silver jewelry, etc. then most $300 plus machines will do a decent job unless you are going to a saltwater beach. A good water hunting machine will bust your budget even used. You can get a good used Fisher CZ for around the top of your budget and it will do everything you are wanting to do except it's not waterproof.
Garrett Pinpointer if not for any other reason their customer service rules !!

OP
OP
O

Okie Treasure

Nov 24, 2013
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I was unclear when I said "beach". I was thinking up on the sand...not wading in the water. Most of our hunting will be in parks, playgrounds wherever we think we might find something.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe I was unclear when I said "beach". I was thinking up on the sand...not wading in the water. Most of our hunting will be in parks, playgrounds wherever we think we might find something.

Then my advice of buying a used Cz5 would stay the same. Can be had for around $400 and they are a dual frequency machine which will perform better at the beach. A used Whites DFX would be a good choice but has a lot more settings to screw up. If you want a new one, take a look at the Whites Coinmaster GT. It is in your budget, has lots of good features including a beach mode.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another thing to consider if you will be hunting parks and playgrounds is coil size. Because of the high amount of trash in these areas a small coil will help you get target separation and to be able to tell the junk from the good stuff. I had a Whites Prizm 6T which is the basic same machine as the Coinmaster GT and with the 4X6 DD coil, it was a killer in parks and totlots.

OP
OP
O

Okie Treasure

Nov 24, 2013
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing to consider if you will be hunting parks and playgrounds is coil size. Because of the high amount of trash in these areas a small coil will help you get target separation and to be able to tell the junk from the good stuff. I had a Whites Prizm 6T which is the basic same machine as the Coinmaster GT and with the 4X6 DD coil, it was a killer in parks and totlots.

Cool! So it sounds like I want to be able to get a small coil for whatever detector I end up with for junk and tight areas.

botics

Dec 6, 2012
Miami, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, 17" and 6" Coils
Minelab Excalibur II, 10" Coil
AT Pro, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Test them and make your own decision what works for you is what you want!!

OP
OP
O

Okie Treasure

Nov 24, 2013
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found my old detector in the garage. It's a White Coinmaster TR from around mid 80s...I think.
Coinmaster TR.jpg
Looks like this photo I found on Google.
Still had a 9V battery in it...and when you turned the one knob it still worked!

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went with the Coinmaster GT as it seems to have all the bells and whistles at the $399 price. Only got to use it about 12 hours before the cold set in but I do like and found lots of clad, junk and a silver ring... ring was in the back yard.. After reading about some of the other popular units, I think the GT is a great value. I have found targets as far down a 10"

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went with the Coinmaster GT as it seems to have all the bells and whistles at the $399 price. Only got to use it about 12 hours before the cold set in but I do like and found lots of clad, junk and a silver ring... ring was in the back yard.. After reading about some of the other popular units, I think the GT is a great value. I have found targets as far down a 10"

I definetly agree its one of those machines that doesnt get talked about to much but it does an excellent job from what ive heard from other hunters & seen the live digs on youtube

OP
OP
O

Okie Treasure

Nov 24, 2013
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now I'm thinking for my first setup:

Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pointer
Lesche digger

Any better ideas?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pointer
Lesche digger

Any better ideas?

It sounds like to me uve done ur homework you are gonna get other peoples thoughts on what would be a better package id suggest go with the research u have done. Only thing someone might say that is better is another brand of machine. Just take the suggestion & do a side by side comparison test see which one more suits ur detecting needs. Remember ur using it not us. No 2,spots are the same & what works for one may not for another good luck & hope you get the one ull like its great hobby can get expensive lol but its fun hh

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pointer
Lesche digger

Any better ideas?

The 305 is a good machine and I am sure you will like it. The ability to change frequencies with a coil change is a nice feature. Save up for the 18.75Khz 6" DD coil for those trashy parks and totlots. You will love that little coil !!! Good choice on the Propointer and the Lesche.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No matter what machine you get you will find many more pieces of junk than you will good or valuable stuff. This is a fact of the MD life and don't let any advertising get you thinking differently. There is more junk in the ground than good stuff by a long shot, and there is a lot of it that will fool even a thousands of dollars machine. If you don't dig junk you will be missing nice things, and you'll be lucky if your ratio of junk to good is better than 10 to 1. Not trying to discourage you, just that you seem to think there is a lot of easily findable valuables with little junk involved. There are thousands of hunters and many good sites are being basically mined out every day, making there less and less for everybody. Get into it if you think finding stuff in the ground is fun, but not if you think you will make money at it. An experienced operator with a less expensive or even outdated machine will find more than a novice with the fanciest gear, so get whatever you like and practice practice practice.The main thing is to have fun. good luck and happy hunting!!

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Minelab X-Terra 305
Garrett Pro Pointer
Lesche digger

Any better ideas?

If you plan on much sand hunting get a decent long handle scoop. It saves on the bending down and makes for pretty quick recovery.

There is a large variety of them out there make sure whatever you get is sturdy.

Best of Luck,

Pete

OP
OP
O

Okie Treasure

Nov 24, 2013
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you plan on much sand hunting get a decent long handle scoop. It saves on the bending down and makes for pretty quick recovery.

There is a large variety of them out there make sure whatever you get is sturdy.

Best of Luck,

Pete

Good idea...thanks! I can see how bending down to scoop all day could be painful on the old back.

OP
OP
O

Okie Treasure

Nov 24, 2013
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No matter what machine you get you will find many more pieces of junk than you will good or valuable stuff. This is a fact of the MD life and don't let any advertising get you thinking differently. There is more junk in the ground than good stuff by a long shot, and there is a lot of it that will fool even a thousands of dollars machine. If you don't dig junk you will be missing nice things, and you'll be lucky if your ratio of junk to good is better than 10 to 1. Not trying to discourage you, just that you seem to think there is a lot of easily findable valuables with little junk involved. There are thousands of hunters and many good sites are being basically mined out every day, making there less and less for everybody. Get into it if you think finding stuff in the ground is fun, but not if you think you will make money at it. An experienced operator with a less expensive or even outdated machine will find more than a novice with the fanciest gear, so get whatever you like and practice practice practice.The main thing is to have fun. good luck and happy hunting!!

Don't know where that attitude came from. And "making money at it" never crossed my mind. It's just more fun and exciting to tell a friend about finding a coin...or a ring...or some old button or other artifact than "LOOK!!! I found a rusty nail!!!". I know there's a ton of trash out there...but maybe...just maybe there is something cool out there that I can find. And the hunting makes the find that much sweeter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread