Learning Experience.....

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
What are some of your learning experiences that you care to share?
One lesson I learned not too long ago was that my detector detects metal that is above the coil as well as below...this would have been useful knowledge to me when I had just gone to a park only a few days after getting my detector. I realized right away that I couldn't detect right next to the metal poles associated with playground equipment, however, after I dug that hole to China underneath the swing and finally gave up finding my target which I just knew was going to be a real prize....it was months later that it finally dawned on me that I was getting a reading on the swing hanging over my coil instead of something being in the ground.....dahhh.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GREAT idea for a post...... I like this one. I' shure I'v had several learning expierences over the years, and will post them, as I remember them.? ? ? ?At the moment, one of them was, Never Walk Into A freshly Drained Lake Bottom, and expect to walk back out, as easy.? I had one site where I'd get maby, 10 feet out and by then, mud was cacked to my shoes so thick, it was like walking with size 50 feet. and all of a sudden you hit mud so thick and sticky, you suck fast & sink like quicksand to your knees. the only way to get loose is to rock back & front till your feet break loose & then fall onto your? knees or sit down depending on the depth your in.? ? ? ? every day someone else learnd this. especially Children who would dash from their parents side to the lake bed and all of a sudden sink & scream . followed be the parent heading out to retrieve them, also getting stuck. between detecting it we would be rescuing stuck people? :D shoes became another popular find, at this site ;D

WolfmoonX

Dec 4, 2004
New Jersey
What I learned is not to wear steel toed boots while detecting!! :-\
I was walking along with my old detector and I kept hearing this beep almost with every step and sweep I took. It got to the point that I was so frustrated that I almost tossed the detector into the water. Right before doing that, I realised that it was picking up the steeltoe in my boots as I was walking.......idiot. ;D

Laters....Wolf

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
urushiol: NEVER AGAIN

So the deep woods call. The loose soil, some roots and vines about. You avoid the vines but hey while digging you pull those small roots aside to recover the target. Did you forget or just not know that EVERY part of the plant has that oil on it. A 1/4 ounce dose can give EVERY person on earth a rash. And you got it spread like bar soap across your palm ready to freshen your face.

Oh yeah, there are a great number of sites on the net telling you how to identify poison oak, sumac and ivy. Get to know these very well or you may get to know these all too well as many of us have.

Kent FL

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2005
Hi Guys and Gals...new to this site and it sure seems like a great one!!! Hmmmm...Learning Experience...If you plan to take your machine,by boat (canoe) to check out the local islands it might be a really good idea to have a WATERPROOF machine. If I had prchased the Sov instead of the Excal I would have had a big loss more than once. When it comes time to swim (not by choice) or heavy weather hits on short notice(welcome to West Central Florida) when your an hour out with no shelter, plastic bags and coventional cases just don`t help much. The trade-off in alot of cases is the weight of the machine though...for me it has paid off.

OP
OP
M

mvSWAT

Sep 21, 2004
Mt. Vernon, Indiana
Anyone ever dig their target, lay your metal digging tool down close to the hole and then scan the hole again getting another elusive hit? Didn't take too long to learn to move those metal digging tools away from the hole I'm about to scan again.

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Around here there is a mystery plant I call it the unknown plant of pain. Its not sumac, posion oak or posion ivy. One day I will find out what it is. My suggestion stock up on posion plant meds...

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
I've got one. Whenever you are out detecting, and you spot holes where other detectorists have been (yes, there are still some that are ignorant to the art of filling holes) check them with your detector. I have found that if they dont cover holes properly, they often give up on there signal, also.

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Yeah! I have recoverd a few coins from someone elses abandonded hole also. Something I found just lately is that you should remove rings from your fingers or at least them move them to the hand you are not digging with. As they have demonstrated on" GOLD FEVER SHOW", if you do not have your pin pointer in hand, taking a handful of dirt & waving it over your coil can help find the target. HANDY!! Spotz

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posted this seperately, but I learned the first time out I needed knee pads! First they got wet (knees) and then they got sore from kneeling down and digging. Got a good set of industrial pads at one of the Building Supply stores and it makes digging much more pleasurable.

horseshoe

Greenie
Jan 31, 2005
southeastern ohio
That mystery plant cedarrat is talking about might be stinging nettle. When hunting in woods or just edge of woods this plant will really let you know it's there when it hits bare skin. This is personal experience talking (@^$^#*) plant.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread