Coinmaster GT vs X-Terra 305 ?

Okie Treasure

Nov 24, 2013
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting closer to pulling the trigger on my new detector. I found a local White's dealer yesterday and went to look. Didn't think I would like the Coinmaster (don't know why) but I did.

White's Coinmaster GT vs. Minelab X-Terra 305 ???

What's the general feeling among you experienced folk? Is White's still a top company? I know they have been around for years, but is this model one of the 3 or 4 tops in this price range? I like made in USA, beach mode, and that I found a long time Whites dealer here in town...but don't know if it's as good as I've heard about Minelab. How about service and support from the two companies?

Think I've ruled out Ace 250/350 but I will get a Garrett Pro Pointer. And Tesoro is out, for now, as I want a screen at this time. But I may get a Compadre or Cibola for my wife if she gets into it, stuff on a screen would only confuse her.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
O

Okie Treasure

Nov 24, 2013
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well...I did it. Went to see a guy here and looked at several different brands and models. He had one Adventure Package left with the Garrett AT Pro...so I got it!! Got him to swap the Garrett digger for a Lesche and got a Garrett Pro Pointer. This setup should be all I really need for a long time. Spent more than I was planning...but I think the AT Pro is a whole level higher than I was looking at to start with.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOOHOO! get out there and start swing.. my freakin arm is killing me, been out 2 days in a row..

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well...I did it. Went to see a guy here and looked at several different brands and models. He had one Adventure Package left with the Garrett AT Pro...so I got it!! Got him to swap the Garrett digger for a Lesche and got a Garrett Pro Pointer. This setup should be all I really need for a long time. Spent more than I was planning...but I think the AT Pro is a whole level higher than I was looking at to start with.
Yep! Congrats, hope you enjoy it.

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The AT Pro will do you a good job. Take time to learn what it's telling you and you will do fine.

OP
OP
O

Okie Treasure

Nov 24, 2013
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife hid 4 half dollars in the back yard for our granddaughter and grandson to find with the old Coinmaster TR I gave them. Neither the grandkids nor my wife could find two of them. Took me about 10 min to find both! There's a lot of beeps and squawks I've got to figure out. I guess if I spend a little time with it each day it'll come to me. Knee pads will be the next investment!

mineralized_miner

Dec 2, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster GT
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got the coinmaster GT last week as a joint christmas/birthday gift from my dad, and I absolutely love it. We were at my grandfather's house by the beach in florida, and the beach mode was useful for the wet sand. I can comfortably run it at max sensitivity with the stock coil and hit a quarter at 10 inches and a dime at 7 inches. It will hit it deeper, but will only accurately ID it with VDI and tone at these depths. You can also get other coils for it to go deeper.

I do not know anything at all about the X-terra, but after reading a few reviews at Whites Coinmaster GT vs Minelab Xterra 305 (from Metal Detector News, Reviews and Ratings), People think that the 305 is overpriced and works poorly in the negative reviews, and the good reviews say it goes about 8-10 inches deep on a quarter and works very well. For the Coinmaster GT, there were no negative reviews posted, albeit there were only 2 for this relatively new machine. They claimm 12 inches on a quarter, but I get 10 on a quarter, so the reviews there (and mine) may be biased.

But from what I can tell, the White's has more functions (all of which work pefectly, as far as I can tell) such as a backlight, a beach mode, and automatic ground tracking (It is like a godsend in my very heavily mineralised clay-ey soil), while the X-Terra 305 is essentially the same thing without the auto-tracking, beach mode, or backlight (which actually comes in handy if you have too much fun with it and decide to stay out after dark) for $100 more (which you can use on the Coinmaster GT to get a better coil, or just one for trashy areas or something like that) and "Minelab" stamped on it.

After reading reviews on other sites about the Coinmaster GT, people are saying that it is poorly built, but I would beg to differ. The coil does not wobble, it is not generally flimsy, and the coil stays in place when tightened with the washers correctly. The small velcro strips that come with it are to hold the wires from the coil in place so it does not trigger the coil, as the machine is very sensitive. It is also very loud, which could be a pro or a con, but it did come with headphones when I got it from my dealer (and should come with headphones if ordered online as well) and makes it so that you can hunt among others and not annoy them. It is also balanced fairly well, and is not tiring to swing, despite being 0.8 pounds heavier than the X-Terra 305. I do not know much about the X-Terra 305, and am comparing my machine to what I have read aout it.

So basically, in my (somewhat biased) opinion, the coinmaster is a better machine with more useful features for less, and I would definitely go for the Coinmaster GT. With the money you've saved, I would reccommend the Nel Hunter coil, which I have heard good things about from my grandfather's friend who uses it on his Prizm 6t (essentially the same as the Coinmaster Pro). It retails for $133 here; NEL Hunter Whites Coin Master,Prizm 3.4.5.6, which would total out to $33 more than the X-Terra 305, but of course you don't HAVE to get the extra coil, as the stock one works very well on its own.

I hope this was of help to you, and thank you for reading.
mineralized_miner

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread