Coinmaster GT vs X-Terra 305 ?

Okie Treasure

Nov 24, 2013
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting closer to pulling the trigger on my new detector. I found a local White's dealer yesterday and went to look. Didn't think I would like the Coinmaster (don't know why) but I did.

White's Coinmaster GT vs. Minelab X-Terra 305 ???

What's the general feeling among you experienced folk? Is White's still a top company? I know they have been around for years, but is this model one of the 3 or 4 tops in this price range? I like made in USA, beach mode, and that I found a long time Whites dealer here in town...but don't know if it's as good as I've heard about Minelab. How about service and support from the two companies?

Think I've ruled out Ace 250/350 but I will get a Garrett Pro Pointer. And Tesoro is out, for now, as I want a screen at this time. But I may get a Compadre or Cibola for my wife if she gets into it, stuff on a screen would only confuse her.

Upvote 0

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought the GT but without much research into different brands. The GT is a little on the heavy side at 3lb and uses 8AA with a run time of over 20 hours with head phones on. The Xt 305 uses 4AA but lets you swap out coils for different frequencies which the GT does not. There are only 2 coil options for the GT but both run at 8khz as far as I know. Not sure that is needed for general grab and go. You need to read all the options, know what they are for and how important they really are for what you want to do. Best bet would be to find a dealer that has both in stock so you can swing each one, as comfort, balance and weight should be considered before bells and whistles! This is the one aspect of the GT I am disappointed in, it is rather heavy after an hour or so.

Last edited:

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally I would go with the GT. I had a Prizm 6T thas is basically the same detector and I love it. It was one of my favorite coin shooting machines because I had the 4X6 DD coil for it and it was a totlot killer. I found a lot of good stuff with that little machine and wish I had it back. The closest I have had to the 305 is the 705 gold pack and it it is a much better machine. The GT has so many features that to me it is just the better choice. I will agree that the limited coil selection is a negative but thats about the only one. I would consider a 3 pound detector a light detector and I never had any problems swinging the 6T all day. If airscapes thinks that detector is heavy they ought to grab ahold of an Etrac or V3i or even a CTX 3030 at 5 pounds. The 305 is 2.9 lbs so no difference really.

OP
OP
O

Okie Treasure

Nov 24, 2013
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you considered a Fisher F4?

Looking at the specs that could be choice #3. For the 100 bucks difference is the F4 much better than the F2? I see it has a ground balance, Don't know if F2 does. Weight shows less than GT and X-Terra. I wonder about the "8 AAs" on the GT...does it last twice as long on a set...or is it a power hog? I'll probably get rechargeable and have one set in detector while one set in charger.

How does Fisher rank with White's and Minelab? How do these 3 rank as far as quality products. Are they about same level technology for this price level?

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would consider a 3 pound detector a light detector and I never had any problems swinging the 6T all day. If airscapes thinks that detector is heavy they ought to grab ahold of an Etrac or V3i or even a CTX 3030 at 5 pounds. The 305 is 2.9 lbs so no difference really.

That is good to know! As I said, or maybe I didn't, I did not try it before hand nor have I ever used any other brand. I have to wonder if having had Carpal Tunnel repair is playing into the discomfort..
Did not think of that till just now although it has been over a year ago.

"OKie"
I did not see the run time spec on the other unit but I have about 12 hours on the GT and no low battery light so I am expecting to get close to the rate 20+ hours. The batteries in it are the ones whites provided and are not high end. Yes Batteries were included and installed in the tray, something I can never say I have seen on anything I have purchased.

BTW, the GT also comes (at least right now) with a back pack, head phones, and plastic trowel. Head phones are the most useful part but are not high end. Just something to consider along with everything else.

A free coil cover would be a better accessory but alas you have to buy that separately..

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Okie Treasure

Nov 24, 2013
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is good to know! As I said, or maybe I didn't, I did not try it before hand nor have I ever used any other brand. I have to wonder if having had Carpal Tunnel repair is playing into the discomfort..
Did not think of that till just now although it has been over a year ago.

"OKie"
I did not see the run time spec on the other unit but I have about 12 hours on the GT and no low battery light so I am expecting to get close to the rate 20+ hours. The batteries in it are the ones whites provided and are not high end. Yes Batteries were included and installed in the tray, something I can never say I have seen on anything I have purchased.

BTW, the GT also comes (at least right now) with a back pack, head phones, and plastic trowel. Head phones are the most useful part but are not high end. Just something to consider along with everything else.

A free coil cover would be a better accessory but alas you have to buy that separately..

Dumb question...do you use the coil cover to protect while using, or just storage/travel? If while using does it have any effect on performance?

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dunno what the draw is toward the GT but I when I looked at one last fall, I was very unimpressed. Granted I did not use it in the field but I played with one in a shop. The lack of cam locks and wobbly shafts just screamed CHEAP! Reminded me of the Coinmaster Pro I had which was the weakest detector I've owned. That combined with VERY limited coil selection, it would never be on my list.
The Fishers entry level & high end machines impress me a lot. No reason to believe a mid level detector like the F4 wouldn't be just as impressive at the price point.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dumb question...do you use the coil cover to protect while using, or just storage/travel? If while using does it have any effect on performance?

They are to keep the coil from being damaged in use.. you would think that would be something that was part of machine but apparently not. It does not seem to cause any issues with performance.

OP
OP
O

Okie Treasure

Nov 24, 2013
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunno what the draw is toward the GT but I when I looked at one last fall, I was very unimpressed. Granted I did not use it in the field but I played with one in a shop. The lack of cam locks and wobbly shafts just screamed CHEAP! Reminded me of the Coinmaster Pro I had which was the weakest detector I've owned. That combined with VERY limited coil selection, it would never be on my list.
The Fishers entry level & high end machines impress me a lot. No reason to believe a mid level detector like the F4 wouldn't be just as impressive at the price point.

Good to know...I don't want a loose or wobbly unit.
I notice you have a couple of Fishers, a Garrett AT Pro and a Tesoro. Do you think (or have you used) a F4 would be much better than a F2? How does Fisher stack up to Tesoro and Garrett?

airscapes...was your GT loose or wobbly when you got it?

Last edited:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good to know...I don't want a loose or wobbly unit.
I notice you have a couple of Fishers, a Garrett AT Pro and a Tesoro. Do you think (or have you used) a F4 would be much better than a F2? How does Fisher stack up to Tesoro and Garrett?

As for the F4 being better than the F2, I've never used the F4 personally but I have absolutely no doubt it's better than the F2. The F2 is a great entry level detector and I still use it when I don't need the depth and/or ground balance for bad ground.
If I'm in a newer area I'll grab the F2 just because it's light, easy to use, stable and still gets deep enough. I even watched my boy dig a coin at 6" a couple of weeks back and we had the 4" coil on at the time. I was pretty impressed. I'm sure the F4 with it's larger DD coil and GB would work even better. IMO, yes worth the extra 100 bucks.
How does the Fisher stack up to the Tesoro & Garrett? Quite well. I like my 2 Fishers, they're nothing like each other but I like both for different reasons. I also like my ATP. Can't see being with out that one. Just too bloody versatile to give up. Jack of all trades and does it all well (I have no experience on salt beaches).
The Tesoros I've had were also good machines. I don't care for my Compadre as It doesn't have a sensitivity adjustment and some of the areas I'd like to use it generate enough emi for it to be a problem. This probably because I have the 8" coil and not the 5.75". The Outlaw & Vaq are good performing machines. They have a great price point for their performance, I just don't like em. I DO NOT like single tones and definitely DO NOT like thumbing the disc knob.

OP
OP
O

Okie Treasure

Nov 24, 2013
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for the F4 being better than the F2, I've never used the F4 personally but I have absolutely no doubt it's better than the F2. The F2 is a great entry level detector and I still use it when I don't need the depth and/or ground balance for bad ground.
If I'm in a newer area I'll grab the F2 just because it's light, easy to use, stable and still gets deep enough. I even watched my boy dig a coin at 6" a couple of weeks back and we had the 4" coil on at the time. I was pretty impressed. I'm sure the F4 with it's larger DD coil and GB would work even better. IMO, yes worth the extra 100 bucks.
How does the Fisher stack up to the Tesoro & Garrett? Quite well. I like my 2 Fishers, they're nothing like each other but I like both for different reasons. I also like my ATP. Can't see being with out that one. Just too bloody versatile to give up. Jack of all trades and does it all well (I have no experience on salt beaches).
The Tesoros I've had were also good machines. I don't care for my Compadre as It doesn't have a sensitivity adjustment and some of the areas I'd like to use it generate enough emi for it to be a problem. This probably because I have the 8" coil and not the 5.75". The Outlaw & Vaq are good performing machines. They have a great price point for their performance, I just don't like em. I DO NOT like single tones and definitely DO NOT like thumbing the disc knob.

Good info...thanks! I need a unit that is versatile. We probably won't use it much at home, mostly while traveling. West coast, central TX to Mexican border, FL panhandle (kids), East KS and MO (more kids) and who knows where else!

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
airscapes...was your GT loose or wobbly when you got it?

No, I had read something about this, I think it was on the Whites Forum. Apparently there was some issue when they first came out and I guess it has been resolved as mine does not seem to wobble under normal use. If you grab it a wiggle it like you are shaking off a snake or something, you can feel some play but not under any normal use. I guess time will tell!

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was a nice day today so I went to another local park with tot lot and fields. Ground very wet form 2" of rain on 2 days ago. Found pennies from heaven in the tot area but lots of trash down deep under the new chips. Had signals 8-10 down but did not feel like digging.
I noticed that I got lots of no repeatable signals under the swings. Even though the swing was 20" or more above the ground, placing the GT coil under the swing and moving the swing generated signals.
Out and about in the field I got a 1948 Wheat penny at about 6-8" and nother $2.15 in clad. There are apparently non folks dirt fishing in my area as the 3 parks I have hunted are full of trash and clad.

I am noticing a lot of falsing as was noted by fella and it seems to be junk iron causing it. Repeatable signals were fairly accurate on the VDI but the numbers do bounce around a lot. Many of these were a good target with trash in the same hole or near by. I think most holes I dug produce 2 or more targets .. 28 cents in pennies .. Nice thing about this part is my trash to clad at the end of the 3 hours was much less than the other parks making it much more enjoyable.

Today's park
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.9...5.290937&spn=0.003384,0.003449&num=1&t=h&z=18

found another park with google satellite maps to try tomorrow.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

Okie Treasure

Nov 24, 2013
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what if I dug deep in the wallet and sprung for a Garrett AT Pro? Is that better than the Ace series? What level is that on, and what other detectors would be equal? Would the quality and usefulness last a long time...or an I better off with a less expensive for a year or two?

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what if I dug deep in the wallet and sprung for a Garrett AT Pro? Is that better than the Ace series? What level is that on, and what other detectors would be equal? Would the quality and usefulness last a long time...or an I better off with a less expensive for a year or two?
From what I have been reading, you may be working to hard at this. Pick you budget which should include Detector, head phones, Digging tool , pin pointer and strap on bag.
A good pinpointer is $125, or you can go with a Harbor Freight cheapo for $16 + $3 for a new switch (assuming you can alter the unit and install the switch) Diggers.. well seems like the lesche is they way to go, cost me $39 .. etc etc.
Point is pick one that fits your budget and seems to be well liked and get to it! Also from reading,no matter where you start, in a couple of years if you are still in it, you will have at least one more..
Also keep in mind, you need to dig everything, the fancy screens are not always correct.. beep in all directions, = dig!

Last edited:

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My vote is for the fisher f5, garrett propointer, fiskar garden trowel, and a nail apron.
That is what I use for everything except water hunting. I have used my f5 in fresh water though.
the f5 has enough room to grow into but at first it's pretty much a turn on and go machine.
there's a park by my house that has brought me several rings, bracelets, necklaces, and about 50.00 in clad, I still find about 1 ring a week there.... never hunted out....
You can do this without a pinpointer but it takes longer to find a target, more targets per hour = more gold!!!
lesche is a very nice tool, but you can't beat less than 10.00 for the fiskar garden trowel, homedepot
Nail apron works great, if I were to get anything different it would be a pouch with mess in the bottom so the dirt filters out while you walk. I have seen them on ebay for 10.00 but it's not enough pain to switch out with the .99 nail apron.
just remember to fill your holes.
Bob

snokid

Feb 2, 2013
Troy, MI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett GTA350, minelab e-trac, minelab Excalibur II, minelab Excalibur
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
oh I was going to add the f5 used 2 9volt batteries, I get them in a 2 pack at dollar tree. I don't really know how long they last, but my guess would be 20 hours without headphones, 30 with.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Airs apes gave you good advice on the tools to use. You mentioning traveling a lot with the detector. The A T Pro will give you more versatility - ground balance capabilities for different soil conditions / waterproof / dd coil for target separation. The Adventure Package comes with everything to get started except a Pro-Pointer.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread