Tesoro Cibola questions?

readysteadygo

Dec 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!

I have a few questions regading using the Cibola detector. I've sold my Whites DFX a qhile ago and now went for a cheaper and easier solution with Cibola.

What I don't know is how to use the 3 frequencies? Does it matter in which mode you search? I've always used a random one and if there was an interference I just changed it to another.

What about ground balancing?

Thanks for the answers!

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No ground balancing. I like the highest frequency, on the right. that' will pull out more gold and silver, the position on the middle or left better towards lead. I don't think it matters much but I get deeper targets with the switch to the right. This machine rocks. It's found 2 gold coins ( I have two machines, 1 coin per machine), colonial coppers, silver, Lincoln cents down over 6-7", you name it. And it's so light I can go all day with it. Detune a little if you go on wet salt sand or in saltwater (turn both top knobs down to a 60% level.)

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!

I have a few questions regading using the Cibola detector. I've sold my Whites DFX a qhile ago and now went for a cheaper and easier solution with Cibola.

What I don't know is how to use the 3 frequencies? Does it matter in which mode you search? I've always used a random one and if there was an interference I just changed it to another.

What about ground balancing?

Thanks for the answers!

I have a Cibola, but only have about 15-20 hours total detecting time with it (this is my first machine). I have not yet mastered the 3 frequencies, so I just leave the switch in the middle position. I hunt in central Maryland, where the soil is almost half clay. I don't usually turn up the sensitivity past 7 or 8 as past 8 it seems to chatter and give too many false, iffy signals. Some spots I have to turn it down to 7.

My part of town is not very old, so I've only found clad coins, but it does ring very strong on any coins. I normally keep the discrimination just below the nickel setting, but if I'm near the end of a hunt and still haven't found much, I sometimes put it up a lot higher to give a greater chance that any target will be a coin or other keeper.

Hope this helps a bit, and happy hunting! :icon_thumright:

louie41

Aug 23, 2013
Maryland Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
White's 4900/D Pro Plus, Ace 350, whites BHID, TRX PP and Whites digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have this detector but have been researching it along with other tesoros trying to make a decision which. My understanding of the three frequencies is that they are there to help with EMI or interference around other detectors (group hunts). It is a VLF machine, searches only on one frequency, mainly on 14.3khz but you can switch to the others to help reduce EMI or other interference causing chattering. It does not use multiple frequencies at the same time like the V3i or xp deus.

dasabighole

Sep 11, 2006
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Nautilus / Tesoro/T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what I understood it was for, Louie.

Last edited:

Tabcollector

Greenie
Jan 31, 2013
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre 8", Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also use it to shift the ground balance somewhat. If you set your threshold just to a slight hum then hold down the pp button and bob the coil from about 6" down to 1" off the ground you will notice a change in tone. The tone will either get louder as you lower the coil or raise it, if it does not change then you are good to go for your ground. If it does change you can flip the freq. switch one way or the other and usually get it a little closer to ideal. Give it a try and see how it works! Happy hunting.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have the Cibola, but do have several Tesoros that have the freq switch. Both Tabcollector and Louie41 are telling you right. Normally either Electrical interference or cross talk with another close detector are the reasons to change the frequency. I generally hunt with it set in the middle, but you can hunt just fine with it in any of the positions.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread