Louisiana Rookies- Garrett Ace 250-My decision so far! COMMENTS PLEASE?

Kisatchie

Feb 20, 2007
Winnfield, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Well hello again, I have been steady at research on what type MD I would choose to start my new hobby. Myself and 2 of my partners are just getting started. We are all doing some research this weekend separately to see what we come up with. Thus far my choice is the Garrett Ace 250, from what I have found on past opinions and post. I have decided that this is as close to what I need and in my budge as well. We will be coin shooting and relic hunting mostly, with the hopes of also dipping our toes into a little gold prospecting in ARK and LA. The features that caught my eye were: It is lightweight yet loaded with features for a MD in this price range. What seems to be a user friendly control pad, also the articles I have read talk of the sensitivity of this unit. I was considering a BH before I come across this ACE IN THE HOLE, but it seemed to me that I was finding more negative post on the BH, than what I have found on the ACE 250. But I know it also has its faults as well, what MD doesn't. If anyone who has had any experience with this unit has any comments good or bad, pleas share them with me. We have to be making our decisions soon and I am anxious to see what the other guys have come up with. I am looking forward to see what comes from this post. Thanks so much!

Upvote 0

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
I have an ACE 250, it is a good machine for learning, but I think you will want something more in very short order. I suggest you try to find a used White's Eagle 2.

My ACE is the second machine for me, I started with an entry level BH. I don't like the "hit or miss" sound alert of the ACE and I don't like the fact the standard 6x9 coil is really like a 4x6 coil since the outer ring of the coil does not "detect", only the inner.

If you decide to go with the ACE, get the larger coil with it.

I have outlined the ACTUAL detecting area of the coil in the photo.

(All other machines I have used the entire coil surface is the active coil)

Attachments

• GA912.jpg
    GA912.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 194

tcfeet

Greenie
Feb 24, 2007
nc-joe,
Where did you get the information on the coil? what job does the outside ring play?
thanks,
tcfeet

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
Unfortunately the info I got is from first hand use, as I own an ACE 250. The outside ring does absolutely nothing!

I do not have the 9x12 so I can not answer if the outer ring on it does anything or not. But the stock one is there for looks i guess?

OP
OP
Kisatchie

Kisatchie

Feb 20, 2007
Winnfield, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Thankyou, and I will take your comments into consideration. I received today a Brochure and catalog along with a DVD from WHITE'S. It was very informative and looks to be worth looking into. I only see that the Prizm series is close to my budget, although I did receive a free coupon worth $50.00 toward a purchase of any PRIZM . The PRIZM II and III may be feasible especially with the coupon. I see that the II does not have Depth indicator in inches, that seems to me to be a great feature. I would lean more toward the PRIZM III for that one feature but is that worth the extra $100.00? Does anyone suggest the PRIZM over the ACE 250? If you have any experience with one, shoot me a line. Still in my search for my first MD, and everyones opinions are greatly appreciated!

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
There is another website forum,Findmall.com Also give this a try for info.Ronald99 ???

garrettman64

Nov 8, 2006
mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 pro & Whites Classic SL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:) I have a Garrett Ace 250 I also have a whites classic Sl, I got the Ace 250 also because of budjet and someone offered to me at a reasonable price, I went to a metal detecting store near my town the person was Very helpful the staff was Great this is the closest to me in mass I have gotton the 9x12 coil and the cover for it
they also ship everywhere and the coils are Reasonable Priced
Ill list the link below ;)
. I hope to find a lot with My Ace but one never knows whats instore.,
Thanks from Garrettman64. :)

http://www.metaldetector.com

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
People talk so highly about the Ace 250,I'm going to end up buying one,even thou i have alot of higher end detectors,I think it would be fun owning the Ace250.Ronald99

TonyinCT

Mar 14, 2006
Granby, CT
the outer ring actually does do something...it transmits the signal and the inner ring receives the signal. Without the outside coil your loop would not work. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions