Upvote 0

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
There are alot of good iron relics

If you're new, just take time to learn the machine.

My feeling is when you first start out, you want to find some good things. If you try to include everything, eventually you're going to get bummed out because, "all I ever find is junk".

Set it in a coin mode and listen to the signals you get until you almost always know what a good signal sounds like.

Then start adjusting the machine to add the lower end items (pull tabs, foil and iron) and learn what they sound like.

I use to sell detectors and it was disheartening to me when a "newbie" came back to me saying there was nothing but junk out there. I'd reiterate what I said and the next time I saw them, they were alot happier.

So, just take your time. Learn to crawl before you walk and walk before you run.

I wonder how many machines are put into the closet and forgotten for this simple reason?

Burt

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not familiar with the 250 specifically, but I assume "Relic" mode would be equivalent to "All Metals" in other units. Basically, it is searching with zero discrimination beyond ground balance so any conductive object scores as a hit.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WildRider, you said it very well.

HH,
Sandman

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
I think Relic Mode means an especially loud tone that old Geezers will be attracted to and try to start conversations with you in N.D. parks

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
flip said:
Relic mode will still pick up all but the smallest iron, nails, etc.

This is 99.9% correct, it will eliminate most iron. If you watch your LCD display, you will see it will still show you the iron, it just won't sound the alarm.

You will still find some iron items, but this is the mode I usually hunt in.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread