Aug 24, 2011
Southwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett & Fisher
Minelab Excaliber II
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but....
Have you ever had your metal digger handle come thru the rubber and cut your hand? This is how to fix it.

Get a rubber crutch tip that will fit the diameter of your handle. Cut enough off your existing rubber grip to allow the crutch tip to fit on the end of your handle. Put a quarter or washer that will fit inside the crutch tip to keep the metal handle from cutting through it. Use some boat sealer and put it all back together again. Hope you can tell by the pictures what I did.

IMG_4439.JPG IMG_4440.JPG IMG_4442.JPG

Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The handle on my digger is about the same thickness as on my scoops which also come with those red ribbed handles. Nothing seems to blister my hands faster than those ribs, so I always pull them off and replace them with a bicycle replacement handle. They are nicely padded and very comfortable.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very good repair and looks Mar-Bu-Lus. Looks like its paid for itself. Good luck and Merry christmas

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a callus on the palm of my right hand from this very thing. I love the Garrett Side Digger but they really need to do something with the end under the rubber. Only a couple weeks of a lot of use wore right through the rubber handle over it. Good post. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It always helps to keep he cutting edge of your digger sharp as well. I sharpened my lesche as soon as i go it. I didn't make it to sharp but sharp enough so as not to wear me out cutting a plug. I also use a 6" rectangular masonry trowel i bought at lowes for $6 that i sharped all three sides for turf and shallow digging up to 4". It cuts turf like butter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread