supermon221

Dec 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello im 100% new to this hobby im 20 years old and i always wanted to try and i think my fiance is going to get me a metal detector my Christmas, i seen her amazon cart with a bounty hunter IV !! super excited but completely lost at the same time i live down in Ruskin, Florida near Tampa Bay and not sure where to start i understand i should try in my backyard with some coins and nails to get a feel for the different sounds, but i would like to know where do i go from there, where can i go to find relics, where there any native americans near by any civil war camps or battles i tried looking up local history and i pretty much found nothing and i hate going to the beach i always get sun burned and would like to know of any native america trails or anything cool like an old fort to go and look for stuff i just cant seem to find anything online, and is there any advice for me before i start. thank you =D

Upvote 0

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well you came to the right spot my friend !! Read the owners manual till you understand it and than read it some more.
I don`t know about Fla. some will be along soon that do.
Here in N.Y. i go out and make new friends, just to detect their yards...don`t forget about mom`s,aunt,cuz,friends yards,parks,churches,beaches check the laws yourself ....but learn to cut plugs in you own yard HH
Gary

The Dig Dig

Aug 25, 2013
Tampa, FL.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites E-Series (as my back up) Whites Surf Pro P.I. (for water) and a Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello im 100% new to this hobby im 20 years old and i always wanted to try and i think my fiance is going to get me a metal detector my Christmas, i seen her amazon cart with a bounty hunter IV !! super excited but completely lost at the same time i live down in Ruskin, Florida near Tampa Bay and not sure where to start i understand i should try in my backyard with some coins and nails to get a feel for the different sounds, but i would like to know where do i go from there, where can i go to find relics, where there any native americans near by any civil war camps or battles i tried looking up local history and i pretty much found nothing and i hate going to the beach i always get sun burned and would like to know of any native america trails or anything cool like an old fort to go and look for stuff i just cant seem to find anything online, and is there any advice for me before i start. thank you =D

I'm not far from you in Brandon and I can tell you beeping is horrible here in fl. I'm originally from New England so the difference is killing me. People think fl is old because of st Augustine but the truth is the masses didn't come here until the 1940's. anything older than that has either been paved over or is off limits. And no, there was very little civil war activity in fl and no revolutionary war in fl, you do have the two Seminole wars and the war of 1812 but that's it.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

clonewarsjedi

Greenie
Nov 9, 2013
Abingdon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! I found that when I bought my metal detector (about a year ago) and was new that the cd kellyco sent me with it was a big help. I'm not pushing kellyco, but you can find the cd here:

Kellyco Finding Treasure State by State Guide For Sale - Kellyco Metal Detectors

A little expensive, but you may find it elsewhere for cheaper. I live in VA and used to live in FL - I'd love to go back to the beaches to see what's there - but I get burnt too - that's why I moved! :) Good luck in your new adventures - keep digging!

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
Welcome to the wonderful world of metal detecting. I would recommend sports fields and old schools if you don't find a lot of history on your area. The most important thing when you first start out if you want to continue to metal detect is learn how to dig a hole and cover it up. I go to a local football field and have for numerous years, I went there the other day , and I guess someone new or just someone who doesn't care left numerous holes uncovered. I spent a few minutes covering the mess up. The wrong person could come in there and that would be the end of it for all of us.

Public relations goes along with the hobby. Always act like someone is watching you. Very important things to learn.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
marjam

I find the same thing with others leaving their holes open or barely make an effort to cover their tracks. I was about to be chased out of a place one day when I told the maint man I was covering the holes left by others as i went along and showed him where I had dug. He said as long as you keep doing what your doing you can hunt here. So many guys to to the athletic fields whether they be baseball, football or soccer and leave them a mess. I always think about kids running and what would happen if they stepped in an open hole, but then again the guys that leave holes open don't get on detecting websites.

CoinShooter23

Nov 30, 2013
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Palm Beach County and I have been down here for about a year. It's a huge challenge to find old coins here, I lived In Wisconsin all my life, where there is miles of undisturbed land and TONS of history.. So South Florida is a huge change. You can however still find old relics and old coins but it is not going to be easy. You need to do a TON of research and you need to get permission to hunt a lot of the potentially good sites. It's too bad that you don't like the beach, because I am sure most everyone here from FLA will agree with me, Florida's bread n butter for metal detecting lies at the beach, and unfortunately most of the best finds are IN the water, so your going to need an underwater detector and grow fond of the ocean. That is my best advice to you for this area. But trust me there is plenty of good stuff to be found in local parks and sports fields.

marjam

Nov 17, 2012
marjam

I find the same thing with others leaving their holes open or barely make an effort to cover their tracks. I was about to be chased out of a place one day when I told the maint man I was covering the holes left by others as i went along and showed him where I had dug. He said as long as you keep doing what your doing you can hunt here. So many guys to to the athletic fields whether they be baseball, football or soccer and leave them a mess. I always think about kids running and what would happen if they stepped in an open hole, but then again the guys that leave holes open don't get on detecting websites.

This is an even more important reason to cover your holes. You dont want anyone hurt. All these points are important, but prevention of injury is the most important.

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe the new metal detector in her amazon cart is for her. :laughing7:

Good to see you are getting into metal detecting at an early age as I wish I would have started when I was 20. If your fiancé gets you a metal detector she is a keeper. Welcome to the best treasure forum on the net. Great people here.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Welcome to the hobby. You'll find only straight facts here. No Bull at anytime. Good luck to ya and Merry Christmas.

OP
OP
S

supermon221

Dec 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THanks to everyone i read all the post and i am super excited to start i don't even want to wait till Christmas i appreciate everyone's opinion and advice.!! is there a way to water proof the metal detector and whats a good pinpointer to get and is there any specific way to cut a whole in the ground? i got millions of questions =D

OP
OP
S

supermon221

Dec 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks!!!!

THanks to everyone i read all the post and i am super excited to start i don't even want to wait till Christmas i appreciate everyone's opinion and advice.!! is there a way to water proof the metal detector and whats a good pinpointer to get and is there any specific way to cut a whole in the ground? i got millions of questions =D

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Supermom
Go to youtube and type in (metal detector) and watch how to cut a plug...watch some videos here, there is a Forum here for that.
Gary

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OOO sorry a good pinpointer is the Garrett Pro Pointer around 127.00 we have vendor`s here you can call Fort Bedford Detectors and talk with Keith the man is great to chat/deal with .
Gary

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There is is a spot here on Tnet to read/download Owners Manuals .....i can`t remember where to find it someone will know....you can read the book before you get the machine that way.
Have you been to the Bounty Hunter Forum yet ?
To waterproof a detector type in the search engin here Otter Box but that will cost much more than the Tracker VI.
Gary

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome supermon! Oh, just don't let your girlfriend know you know about the detector. I know you won't have to act surprised, cause you too excited now! Enjoy, and HH!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Supermon-

Welcome to detecting and to Treasurenet! Even if you don't get that detector for Christmas, stop by and hang around - The folks here are all really helpful and you can learn a lot until you do acquire a detector. The search will answer some of those questions, reading a lot of posts will help with some, and for the rest ask away. :)

You mentioned water hunting.... The best way is to get a waterproof machine, but generally they cost a few more $$$. Like GAP mentioned you can use a standard detector in the water if the coil is waterproof and are able to keep the control box dry- you would just need to be careful not to have an accident.

The most successful hunters will put in lots of research time. In some cases, they will spend more time researching than hunting.... The oldest and most productive spots aren't always obvious. Think about what attracted people to your area in the past... And find those spots.

On the subject of pin pointers- the good ones will sometimes cost as much as your entry level detectors. If you aren't sure you will like this hobby, grab a Centek at Harbor Freight... They run about $15 (even less with the 25% off coupon) and work ok until the button wears out. If you decide to abandon the hobby, you aren't out much. If you decide to stay in, then get the good one...

Hope you get that detector you want for Christmas!

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OOO sorry a good pinpointer is the Garrett Pro Pointer around 127.00 we have vendor`s here you can call Fort Bedford Detectors and talk with Keith the man is great to chat/deal with .
Gary
Thank you for the kind words, Gary. I enjoyed our conversation the other night too. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread