WOW!!! Metal detecting is so much more then just digging for goods...

Garbagebill

Nov 1, 2013
San Joaquin valley Ca.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics gamma 6000/Detech 13" Ultimate DD Coil
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Buzz Wilson Bomb Sheath/Lesche digging tool/Black Widow headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The more serious I get about metal detecting the more I learn about the history of the San Joaquin valley where I live. I've hit up our local library to study and plot out my whole summer with new sites to detect. History is such a beautiful thing to learn. Here's a little example...

NO. 214 SITE OF BATTLE BETWEEN FORCES UNDER GENERAL VALLEJO AND SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY INDIANS - In 1829, the Governor-General of California directed Vallejo to punish the Cosumnes Indians for their raids on local ranches. The battle is one of the few fought in California in which cannons were actually used.
Location: l0 mi S of Manteca on Two Rivers Rd, take S Manteca Rd to Trahern, turn right 1/4 mi, left on Two Rivers Rd to Indian Valley Resort, 200 yards SE of confluence of San Joaquin and Stanislaus Rivers on N bank of Stanislaus

I mean there is so much history around here that I'd never learned in school here, there are about 25 major places in a 20 miles radius from my home that I've already marked out to explore this coming year. And I've only just begun to investigate the history around here. What other hobby can give you joy, education, excitement, even possible riches if your lucky enough. I'm so glad I've taken up this hobby, just seeing all of YOUR finds and the history behind them are amazing! Thanks everyone for your stories and thanks to the moderators for accepting me into the group. Here's to a GREAT 2014 for everyone!!! HH Bill

Upvote 0

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hereby nominate Bill as "most likely to succeed" :)

Last edited:

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job on the research !! I really hope it pays off for you. HH

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Bill,

From your first post I said this boy is hooked in his own back yard,
Super good on you Bill for the advances in this hobby,research
ALWAYS pays off as you will find out,just remember me when you strike
it rich dude!:laughing7:

God Bless

Chris

OP
OP
Garbagebill

Garbagebill

Nov 1, 2013
San Joaquin valley Ca.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Buzz Wilson Bomb Sheath/Lesche digging tool/Black Widow headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys, it's just the more I look into places that I can go search (or try and get permission to detect) the more history I find. It's amazing. And worldtalker when I find that stash of hidden gold bars you'll be the first to know! Hahahah HH everyone!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, you're hooked! Nice work on your research. The more you know about your sites, the better you can judge your potential finds. I wish you continued fun detecting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be sure you post pics of the gold bars! HH! And you doing the happy dance!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Bill, this citation puts the battle location further east than where your text puts it at:

Historic Spots in California - Google Books

And just be aware, that unlike CW battles which might have gone on for weeks or months, and had entire camps, and thousands of people duking it out, yet in CA, any such "battle" were probably more of a 1-day squirmish. And more like running-battles. But even so, just from a historical-interest-provenance perspective, it would be cool if you could just find some pistol balls or a cannon ball :)

OP
OP
Garbagebill

Garbagebill

Nov 1, 2013
San Joaquin valley Ca.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bill, this citation puts the battle location further east than where your text puts it at: Historic Spots in California - Google Books And just be aware, that unlike CW battles which might have gone on for weeks or months, and had entire camps, and thousands of people duking it out, yet in CA, any such "battle" were probably more of a 1-day squirmish. And more like running-battles. But even so, just from a historical-interest-provenance perspective, it would be cool if you could just find some pistol balls or a cannon ball :)

Hmmm, I was going off this .Gov site, (if I do make it to any of these sites I'll be sure to post any findings. ) heck I'll post even if I get skunked just to keep the post updated.

http://ceres.ca.gov/geo_area/counties/San_Joaquin/landmarks.html

OP
OP
Garbagebill

Garbagebill

Nov 1, 2013
San Joaquin valley Ca.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom, yeah I don't think out west here I'm going to find huge battle grounds. I was looking into past california history mainly around the Stockton, Manteca, Modesto area just to set me in the right direction to spend a few of my Saturdays metal detecting and dreaming. I seriously doubt any of the places I'll be metal detecting at (if they aren't houses or full blown towns now) are going to give up anything. I just thought it would be neat to locate some places of interest to metal detect and let my mind wonder around thinking "what if I actually found an old spur or a tomahawk" lol. I've actually been out and around some of these places while growing up here and they are either corn fields or shopping centers or just stupid old levee walls. But I think it'll be fun none the less to imagine while I'm detecting lol. HH

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome GB! Instead of walking around lost you are experiencing so much more with a clear awareness of the area's history!
So cool!
Best of Luck
RG
P.S. You will need help with the Gold Bars! They are heavy!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Bill, well if you're in striking distance of Stockton, did you see this thread?

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...ting-around-metal-bleachers-am-i-screwed.html

If you recognize that particular place, you're welcome to try it. However, you're going to need the sun-ray in-line probe, on a discriminating machine. Because a standard probe (that beeps on all metals) is out of the question. You'd only be able to hunt it with a probe, and the probe must be able to tell iron, highs, lows, etc....

OP
OP
Garbagebill

Garbagebill

Nov 1, 2013
San Joaquin valley Ca.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi tom, yeah I'm about 15 minutes away from there. All I have is my Garett's pro pointer.

Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I mean there is so much history around here that I'd never learned in school here, there are about 25 major places in a 20 miles radius from my home that I've already marked out to explore this coming year. And I've only just begun to investigate the history around here. What other hobby can give you joy, education, excitement, even possible riches if your lucky enough.

Bill, as an educator for over 20 years. Let me say; welcome to the real world of education. You are now learning history as it should be taught.
Best wishes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread