ZenoSilver

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2012
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Radioshack Discovery
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is my first time back here in over a year. I'm at a point in my life where I'm ready to take metal detecting seriously. I got places and plans. The last time I was on this site was when I was finding raw silver up on the Chattooga river in South Carolina. Not long after that I moved back to Florida. I did some beach detecting and never found anything good. Enough change to buy a 6 pack at the end of the day usually. In the spring I was in a bad car accident that left me broke and jobless, and my metal detector was destroyed. Now I'm back in South Carolina with treasure on my mind. I found my old radioshack detector in my fathers attic. After replacing the battery leads, which were eaten by mice, I fired it up and went out back and dug up an antique toy car. I've been kinda busy since then but now that it's winter I have no excuse not to detect every day. So, I went out for an hour before sundown today and talked to a neighbor two houses down who said I could scan his yard. Here's my first find of the season-
Excuse the phone pics

1466127_429490630512927_808205673_n.jpg
1486812_429490597179597_1778449518_n.jpg

When I dug it up It looked like a play old brass button. After washing it in the sink I could see a few words on the back. I got a green scrubby pad and went to work carefully removing the clay and corrosion. At first I thought it was an anchor on the front but my little bro flipped it over and said it looked like a tree. After a little research I found that it was a c. 1850 South Carolina civil war button.
Yay me :)

This is my first historical find and I am now extremely motivated to get out and treasure hunt all winter!

Plans for tomorrow are a quick scan of the same property and then an old plantation house built in 1753.

Upvote 0

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats really cool!! Great find....hope you do well on your next hunt!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Glad your back MD'ing! GL and HH!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome find! Happy to hear you are motivated and inspired to go Detecting!
Best of Luck!

Vortex360

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2013
Washoe Valley Nv.
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, F70, Tesore Toltec II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear of the accident, but glad your back up and running. Amazing how those old detectors just keep going and going. Congrats on the button. Don't worry about the cell phone pics, for those of us who cannot get out right now due to weather, they are much appreciated.

HH and keep the coil to the soil!
Vor

OP
OP
Z

ZenoSilver

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2012
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Radioshack Discovery
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi folks! A bit late on updates but here goes. I did go back to the same property without much luck. I found a couple chucks of iron that ended up in my scrap heap. A couple of weeks ago I went to another old property for a hunt. Only spent about an hour there and really need to go back. I found an iron key, buckle, and the base of a lead figurine (plus random change)
1609878_444064505722206_413322080_n.jpg
Before I left the place I ended up blowing some Christmas money on antiques from the guys barn. Including a 1960's Sears Spyder bicycle and an 1890's New Home sewing machine.
Today was the first day I've picked since then. It was sunny and 60 today! I went to a house, est. 1856, about a block from here at what used to the dead end of main street. Was there for about 2 hours and will definitely be returning. Among the finds were shovels and hoes, bits of copper plumbing, what appears to be a cold chisel, some lead solder, and of course change including one of my favorite finds; a 1944 penny with a 1940's beech nut peppermint gum wrapper wrapped around it! 1545086_444066389055351_1019648219_n.jpg 1511496_444038102391513_303369829_n.jpg
So nothing very valuable yet but I don't even have 8 hours logged. I feel a good find coming!

OP
OP
Z

ZenoSilver

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2012
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Radioshack Discovery
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
HUZZAH! Today I went out for a few hours to metal detect a nearby property. It was my fiance's first dig :) The house on the property was built in 1859. Long story short- We dug up an 1831* South Carolina nullification button! It is in good shape and the writing and stamping is all legible. The shank is broken off. I have only found two others on the web. Shiloh Civil War Relics Catalog and the other http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...cs-north-ms-1831-sc-nullification-button.html It seems to be a very rare button and I am looking for an idea of value. Anyways, it was a great dig and my fiance is super excited about it and is ready to go out again :)
I will post pics asap.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread