A Small Tip

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is a little tip you can add your`s here too.
In the winter... over 44 years now... while carrying around those All Steel Lesche/Predator Large Shovels.
On the hand i carry the Lesche in i wear a Welding Glove thier very warm Lincoln gloves are very good...the extra padding in the glove to guard against heat works very well against the cold steel on a 10 degree day.
Gary

Upvote 0

Jmann69

Apr 1, 2013
Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My tip is "Don't run with a sharp shovel in your hand!":laughing7:

Also, always carry your shovel by the shaft when climbing over and around things in the woods. Or even just walking (as in my case)!! If ya carry it by the handle and just happen to trip and fall foreword, you automatically put your hands out in front of you and the shovel may (will and did ) come back and smack you in the face. I came out of the wood with a knot just above my eye. Was a black eye by the time I got home. Two weeks with that sucker on my face.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When temp is 10 degrees, stay inside the house! :coffee2:

Jdett411

Jan 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunt with the wind to your back, makes all the difference!

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary - How can you dig when it's 10 degrees? The ground where I live is frozen solid, I would need a backhoe to dig it up.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gary - How can you dig when it's 10 degrees? The ground where I live is frozen solid, I would need a backhoe to dig it up.
Try hunting in the woods. The layer of leaves rotting keep the ground warm enough in Ohio to hunt all winter long. I actually prefer winter hunting as it's the only time I can get to the old sites when the weeds are down.

Last edited:

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

After a big rain last week, the cold weather actually firmed the ground up and made for better digging here in corn fields in northeastern Pa.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was just out in my back yard at lunch today, not frozen yet, rain keeps it soft and mushy for easy digging..think this week will probably freeze again.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good tip. My hands are always the part of me that gets coldest when I'm digging this time of year. I'm with Rob. This is a good time to hunt in Ohio. The weeds are down and the woods are still workable.

-Swartzie

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try hunting in the woods. The layer of leaves rotting keep the ground warm enough in Ohio to hunt all winter long. I actually prefer winter hunting as it's the only time I can get to the old sites when the weeds are down.

Oh man that's a great tip. I just got a new detector and itching to try it out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread