Ever get thrown off a propert while detecting?

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am I the only one this has happened too? Or have any of you also got thrown off property? I was detecting in Kentucky and I got thrown off a property. The old timer was angry and said what the hell you doin? You trying to steal my lightning?!!! I said no sir just detecting. And he kept saying I was after his lightning. Crazy I tell you and ran me off with his 3 sons. The one walked up to me and smelt my face it was scary. And weird. What's your experience or story? Please share.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
davinci

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did ya smell him back? They was just sayin howdy to ya-- next time smell him back and talk with a horribly fast hillbilly accent to gain approval! Lol keep swinging man don't let one or three in breeders keep ya down!

It wasn't their property but I was not going to get into it with 3 of them. I will keep detecting other places. I mean no harm and sure as hell am not after lightning or whatever they were going on about.

OP
OP
davinci

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the early 70s, my girlfriend, a hunting buddy, and myself decided an old convent nearby looked like a great place to hunt. We drove up, parked and found an elderly nun (Sister Barbara) walking around the grounds nearby. We asked her if we could hunt there (of course had to explain MDs, not many used back then) and she said she thought it was a wonderful thing for young folks to do (we were in our early 20s back then) and said go right ahead. She watched us for a little while, once remarking that she remembered the "buffalo bill" nickels were were finding. We hunted for about 45 minutes with a couple other nuns nearby, and were finding all pre-WW2 coinage, a lot of it silver and having a great day. Suddenly this enormous nun, face flushed red with anger comes over and bellows out "what do you think you're doing!!!" We said we had asked permission and the kind Sister Barbara had told us it was alright. She angrily replied that she was the Mother Superior and that Sister Barbara was a senile old lady who had no authority to grant us permission to do anything. When we plead our case that we were just enjoying our hobby, not hurting anybody, and picking up all the litter we came across she just snorted and said "GET OUT!!. We complied and never went back It's now forty years later and they are tearing down the old convent. We always wondered if anybody else got in there back then or in later years. Two of us will try again in the spring, but the place may well be trashed with debris from the destruction of the beautiful old buildings from the 1800s.

Some story. Be sure to let us know how you make out this spring!

OP
OP
davinci

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I have read it sounds like you were hunting on private property without permission. Remember even vacant lots belong to somebody. The only places that I know of to hunt without permission are schools and parks. And in some states those are restricted. Here in my area I can hunt any park and school as long as they are not state parks or on Historic Registry. I truely hope you do not hunt property without permission as that gives our hobby a bad name. If you are new please research before hunting. If you don't know if it is ok to hunt a site then I would wait until you know for sure. You must 100% for sure know that it is ok to hunt a site before turning on your machine. I have read several stories where people have been arrested and fined over $10,000 for hunting illegally. And they deserve it.

Should I turn them in for shine? I found out it was Kentucky State Land. I don't live there so could careless about their lightning.

OP
OP
davinci

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once was detecting on some land and the owner said take what ever you want,after an hour I came back to get a better shovel out of my truck and he asked what I had found.So I empty my pockets and had about $5 in old coins(1920's-1940's).He then changed his mind and said how about 50-50,and I said how about 80-20,which he then replied,how about 95-5.So I gave him all the penny's that I had found .He said that I had to cough up the silver too,so I gave him several dimes and some quarters.but I kept the 2 silver dollars that I slid in my boots and some of the silver quarters.I don't think he relized how much stuff was under his ground.I went back years later,and now there's homes sitting on his land.

Good find! The split sounds like rick savage lol

OP
OP
davinci

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive only been run off from detecting abandonded homes in the Ghetto, The neighbor told me that HE owned the property, another time the woamn told me HER mom just bought it. Whats crazy is the 2 people that ran me off, were both in there 60s+....and in the same neighborhoods..there are alot of "Thuggish" type people...and they think its cool as hell im out there metal detecting..they ask me random questions about if my detector can find diamonds and bars of gold..lol..But They are always cool with me being in there hood Now old timers in the woods of Kentucky?....i wouldnt touch that

Where you detecting man? Detroit?

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems about every 20 hunts or so, I get flack from someone. My saying is that I would rather someone told met to "get the hell off" then to nag me and try and pull a guilt trip on me. I had a women ask me if I just detected "anywhere I damn well pleased". I almost cleared my pockets of trash and dropped them back on the ground because of her remark.

Last time, I had a man run me off the city easement and told me that I was on his property. I then explained to him that I had spoken to the city and they were okay with me hunting the sidewalk and he tried to argue that he owned the sidewalk up to the road. I almost asked him if I tripped and broke my ankle on HIS sidewalk if I could then SUE him or claim on his homeowner's insurance. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
davinci

davinci

Jan 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I was not trespassing it was property owned by town park. Public and are I was on was near a wooded tree line that these fellas came out of. I was in a grown up baseball/softball field that was no longer maintained or taken care of by the town and was way back in the park on the other side of old run down campsites.

dale3fan28

Jul 15, 2013
Lake Charles, La
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO & Ace 250, ProPointer
I would sY call the G-man, T-man, & revenuer too!! lol But seriously if u were on public land you were in the right, you just got them worried by getting close to their shine.... I would have made several anonymous calls by now, just saying.....

markp

Dec 3, 2013
Peytona,WV
Detector(s) used
White dfx, and Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The moonshiners probably didn't own the property, just saying. I don't think most moonshiners do there illeagal trade on there own land.

Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like the pot growers in the state/national parks.
I have a friend who was hunting deep in the Mark Twain National Forest here in Missouri.
He was trudging his way back to his vehicle using GPS when he decided to climb out of a ravine and up the embankment. All of a sudden he realized he was in the middle of a pot grove. He turned tail and retraced his steps carefully. They can be booby trapped.

prospexican

Nov 28, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gemini-3 best expert.
gpx 5000, fisher 2 box, whites sierra madre, eagle ll w big foot, gold bug, GMT, MD-5008, Detectron 2 box. etc. metrotech 480, and ferromagnetic magnetometer FX-3. fisher CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i learned a lot whit this histories because even if we get permission from some one does not mean that we are 100% to prospect there, and if the guy who said that he found some coins and was ask to share to the guy who at 1st did care about metal detecting his property, but then changed his mind, then i will recommend to have a legal contract singed specially when you suspect there will be a treasure, because if some one chance their mind on a few worthless coins will you imagine what will it happen if you find gold!:BangHead: no no no,
i will tell you guys later about a empty corner yard i was told to leave with my 10 yr old girl.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find it very suspicious that anyone would even admit to a total stranger they were engaged in illegal activities. I personally know there is a great deal of secrecy in this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My last hunt which was a couple of days ago, was across from a police department on city property and a couple of officers told us to hunt and they would not arrest us, lol.

We weren't even aware of the property until they pointed it out. About 45 minutes into the hunt, what looked like a casually dressed city official come walking over from across the opposite road and introduced himself to me and asked me what I was looking for, if I found anything, etc. I wasn't feeling well and so I wasn't really hunting, but my friend was. He said that he didn't have a problem with me hunting on the city property but that we needed to keep our holes filled and make them small.

I guess I was a touch irritated, because he kept telling us that he was alright with us digging, BUT we needed to dig to a minimum even though we told him we got permission. Although, he may have been the mayor which is over the PD in a way, the wind kind of left our sails and we left. He must of explained how he wanted us to dig at least a half dozen times in five minutes of small talk.

It seems sometimes that even when everything is done correctly there are still folks "peering over the fence" checking on people who metal detect and want to keep us inline.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This illustrates the absolute importance of adhering to our code of ethics. Fill all holes to perfection, obtain permission and carry out ALL recoveries.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
i learned a lot whit this histories because even if we get permission from some one does not mean that we are 100% to prospect there, and if the guy who said that he found some coins and was ask to share to the guy who at 1st did care about metal detecting his property, but then changed his mind, then i will recommend to have a legal contract singed specially when you suspect there will be a treasure, because if some one chance their mind on a few worthless coins will you imagine what will it happen if you find gold!:BangHead: no no no,
i will tell you guys later about a empty corner yard i was told to leave with my 10 yr old girl.

Looking forward to this story!

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just out-crazy the crazy ones. They will leave in confusion.

I once had somebody try and kick me off a property that i had permission to detect. My buddy walks up as he sees them approaching and starts talking to them. I walk up to him and hand him a piece of metal and tell him to be careful disarming that one it is live, then stated i'm going back to find more. He told the annoying concerned citizen that my mind was fractured and I actually thought i was looking for land mines and disposing of them to make the area safe, and the friend was just there as moral support and safety. The guy had no idea how to respond, and just said uhhh OK have a good day, bye.

Bitpusher

Dec 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The moonshiners probably didn't own the property, just saying. I don't think most moonshiners do there illeagal trade on there own land.

Small-timers, no.

I know of one guy that owns a laundromat adjoining a mini-storage. The trucks with materials go in the mini-storage, and leave with the finished product. The heat produced by the boiler exits through the dryer vents for the laundromat.

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time, I had a man run me off the city easement and told me that I was on his property. I then explained to him that I had spoken to the city and they were okay with me hunting the sidewalk and he tried to argue that he owned the sidewalk up to the road.

you have be very careful when talking about easements as they are very complicated.

i lived in one of my fathers homes and he had the house facing the other street
the two home had a utility easement running between them and we had a problem with thieves coming on the property by way of the utility easement.

i ended up putting up a gate closing the utility easement to all but the utility companies.
And stopping anyone trespassing for the police.
At first the police tried to tell me the alley was open to all.
My neighbor a lawyer set them straight as the gate also protected his property.

For every easement you have to read the deed and the small print.
For a street easement it can get down to who cuts the grass..
If the home owner cuts the grass only he has the right to allow metal detecting not the city.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread