Help me!

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
??? Im pretty new at detecting and I have an LS Camo Bounty Hunter Machine. I have used it heavy for about a year and I'm getting where I don't trust it as much as I should. I was wondering if, as the battery life diminishes does the effectiveness of the machine diminish at the same rate or does it preform at the highest level until the battery life is gone? I know there are those of you out there that can help! Thank you for any info about hours of use and battery life and how it effects your machine is greatly appreciated ! The Kid???

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Low batteries DO affect machine performance and depth, no doubt about it. I never use batteries more than 15-hours.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are the batteries rechargeable or alkaline? If alkaline, I would definitely replace and try again. Same, I guess, if rechargeable.... replace. Then try again. Standard/alkaline should last about 40-60 hours. I would venture to guess the detector itself has not degraded since buying. Not in a year. TTC

OP
OP
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many thanks for your knowledge!

OP
OP
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Terry! I'll keep my machine a few more days! I may just need to re-juice a little more often!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always the first and easiest thing to check on any detector when you suspect it may have a problem is the battery/s.
luvsdux

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Radio Shack sells a nice battery tester. You just drop the battery in the slot and look at the meter.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I disagree

??? Im pretty new at detecting and I have an LS Camo Bounty Hunter Machine. I have used it heavy for about a year and I'm getting where I don't trust it as much as I should. I was wondering if, as the battery life diminishes does the effectiveness of the machine diminish at the same rate or does it preform at the highest level until the battery life is gone? I know there are those of you out there that can help! Thank you for any info about hours of use and battery life and how it effects your machine is greatly appreciated ! The Kid???

I disagree with the answers you've gotten thus far. Detectors (as do all electronics nowadays) have resistors in them. This means that the machines operate on a given constant current. And the "resistors" taper the incoming current to THAT. Regardless of the starting current of the battery voltage. Hence for the machines operating performance to wain, the battery voltage would have to drop BELOW this already-set resistor standard. And usually, if the battery voltage dropped that low, the machine would just shut off.

Thus no, you don't loose depth, etc... It's going to be more a matter of off and on. Not like a flashlight or something where the beam of light grows dimmer and dimmer. Detectors have resistors in them, controlling the incoming flow of power, from the git-go, to a lesser voltage than the batteries are giving off.

I welcome anyone to correct this, if I'm mis-informed, but this is the answer I was given by a electronics guru many years ago. I may not have the vocabulary or technical jargon/explanation right, but ... hope this suffices.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I change my batteries about every 15 hours. There's plenty of life left, but the signal field is bigger with the newer battery.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom is correct. You may see a change in depth/sensitivity on some ancient analog machines from way back but machines that are currently manufactured you will not. Most TTL circuits run on 5v, Zener diodes regulate voltages, etc. Electronics today will run if the voltage level is above a certain level and will shut down if below.

OP
OP
Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Jun 4, 2013
Texas
Detector(s) used
gazrret & bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you Tom for taking time to explain the operational electronics! I'm sure not the expert on how a machine works but I do understand what you are saying.Makes sense to me. I was just wondering after placing four clad coins 4 inches below the surface and had real trouble picking them up with fairly normal settings. I have found a mess of coins much deeper with this machine and was wondering if batteries played a part in this machines failure to" lock on" ! I really appreciate your input! May be time to up grade my machine!Thanks again Tom ! The Kid

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Tom for taking time to explain the operational electronics! I'm sure not the expert on how a machine works but I do understand what you are saying.Makes sense to me. I was just wondering after placing four clad coins 4 inches below the surface and had real trouble picking them up with fairly normal settings. I have found a mess of coins much deeper with this machine and was wondering if batteries played a part in this machines failure to" lock on" ! I really appreciate your input! May be time to up grade my machine!Thanks again Tom ! The Kid

You can test this theory yourself. Use your coins at 4" or even an air test would work. Put in some older batteries and try it. Then put in fresh batteries and try it again. See if the depth decreases. I suppose the signals could get weaker as the batteries get low but not to the point of shutting the machine off. If you're using rechargables, they don't hold as much energy as they age (don't we all)

Post your results, maybe it'll help somebody else

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom's explanation has been my understanding of how battery power is handled by detectors as well. However, as I mentioned above in this thread, when a detector starts acting quirky or strange compared to usual, the battery/s are always the place to start and work from there. I've had quite a few worrisome moments that were cured with fresh batteries and a couple when the supposedly fresh battery wasn't up to power as well.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions