Rings up penny, gets something better!
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By krymesolvr93

Thread: Rings up penny, gets something better!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Oct 2013
    New Hampshire
    Garrett GTI 2500
    156 times
    Metal Detecting

Rings up penny, gets something better!

A few months back, I went to an elementary school I never detected before and started at the younger kid side (there were two different playgrounds, due to age of the kids). The surface was pea gravel. At certain spots, it drove my detector bonkers, giving me a good signal then waving it over again for a minute and nothing. Managed to get some dimes out of there. Then I went to the older kids side which also had pea gravel, but also a small sand area and woodchips. I went to a pair of what I believed to be what they are called balance beams , and started searching over there. I got a penny signal about three inches down. After scraping the chips off, I saw a circular silver and somewhat goldish color at the same time. I knew in an instant what it was. This was what I found:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0458.JPG 
Views:	200 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	914738Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0459.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	2.63 MB 
ID:	914739

A Canadian "Toonie"!!! My first one ever! After looking up online I realized why it came up penny. The inner part of the coin is made out of aluminum bronze, which contains 92% copper. This one is definitely a keeper!! GL & HH!!!!

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    9058 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Those are always welcome! I figured being in NH you'd find a lot of them. I've found at least a half dozen here in San Diego!

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell, AZ
    Ace 250 (2), Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Falcon MD20, Garrett pinpointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
    9131 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    I found a similar type coin on a Hollywood,FL beach recently. Very corroded. Turned out to be from Peru! TTC
    Most of my screw-up decisions in my life were to appease my friends, not my conscience. Sorry, but going forward, some of you will no longer call me friend.

us
    Bill Jones

May 2007
    Lewiston, Idaho
    Multiple Tesoros and Whites
    688 times
    Metal Detecting
    I'm in N Idaho about 5 hours south of British Colombia. I've found several toonies and half a dozen loonies in the parks around here - always a nice surprise. This story also is a good example of why one shouldn't always trust an ID machine's guess as some keepers don't ID accurately.
    luvsdux

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2012
    S.E. Michigan.
    Minelab CTX 3030.... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
    2336 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Their quarters ring as a penny, on the AT Pro, dig them all the time
    1844 Canadian Half Cent ... (2) 1859 Canadian Large Cent... 1873 Three Cent Nickle... 2- 1864 U.S. 2 Cent Piece... 1858 Seated Half Dime... 1875 Seated Half Dollar... 1863 Fatty IH ... Civil War Eagle I button ... Frisbie's Civil War Store Token

ca
    Oct 2007
    Newfoundland
    Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
    338 times
    Metal Detecting
    Canadian coins are funny. Nickels, dimes and quarters and sometimes loonies and toonies come in as pulltabs and sometimes foil....They are now made of steel. Sometimes when I find a modern dime, nickel or quarter at a salt water beach the coins are almost rusted to the point where you almost can break them in two! So basically you now have to dig everything to get them. Personally, I search for older coppers and silver and don't bother with our modern coins.

ca
    Aug 2013
    yorkton saskatchewan
    bounty hunter tro/bfo ace 250 teknetics 4000 atp pro minelab ctx 3030
    111 times
    Metal Detecting
    Being from Canada I hate those darn toonies!!
    Have more than 4 in your pocket and your waking sideways, or "is that a roll of toonies in your pocket or are you happy to see me" lol

D.A.D.D.-Dads against daughters dating

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links