Rings up penny, gets something better!

krymesolvr93

Oct 27, 2013
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A few months back, I went to an elementary school I never detected before and started at the younger kid side (there were two different playgrounds, due to age of the kids). The surface was pea gravel. At certain spots, it drove my detector bonkers, giving me a good signal then waving it over again for a minute and nothing. :BangHead: Managed to get some dimes out of there. Then I went to the older kids side which also had pea gravel, but also a small sand area and woodchips. I went to a pair of what I believed to be what they are called balance beams :dontknow:, and started searching over there. I got a penny signal about three inches down. After scraping the chips off, I saw a circular silver and somewhat goldish color at the same time. I knew in an instant what it was. This was what I found: IMG_0458.JPG IMG_0459.JPG

A Canadian "Toonie"!!! My first one ever!:hello2: After looking up online I realized why it came up penny. The inner part of the coin is made out of aluminum bronze, which contains 92% copper. This one is definitely a keeper!! GL & HH!!!!:skullflag:

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are always welcome! I figured being in NH you'd find a lot of them. I've found at least a half dozen here in San Diego!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a similar type coin on a Hollywood,FL beach recently. Very corroded. Turned out to be from Peru! TTC

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in N Idaho about 5 hours south of British Colombia. I've found several toonies and half a dozen loonies in the parks around here - always a nice surprise. This story also is a good example of why one shouldn't always trust an ID machine's guess as some keepers don't ID accurately.
luvsdux

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Their quarters ring as a penny, on the AT Pro, dig them all the time

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Canadian coins are funny. Nickels, dimes and quarters and sometimes loonies and toonies come in as pulltabs and sometimes foil....They are now made of steel. Sometimes when I find a modern dime, nickel or quarter at a salt water beach the coins are almost rusted to the point where you almost can break them in two! So basically you now have to dig everything to get them. Personally, I search for older coppers and silver and don't bother with our modern coins.

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being from Canada I hate those darn toonies!!
Have more than 4 in your pocket and your waking sideways, or "is that a roll of toonies in your pocket or are you happy to see me" lol

D.A.D.D.-Dads against daughters dating

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread