What vintage detector would you like to see in production again?

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
If there was one vintage detector you would like to see in production again that had great depth, stability, and balance, what would it be? I still use my "ole" CZ5 and wish that detector was still available.

You are in luck. The CZ21's are waterproof cz5's almost to a T, albeit more expensive.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These were not air tests. If you take a CZ3D 1021 which is much older, less expensive model than the units you mentioned above, it would probably do the same... There seems to be an elitist attitude here. The same as I guy I know who thought the "best" detector was an Explorer, then wasn't happy till he got a V3I. Then he sold that to get a CTX3030. Guess what? His finds didn't improve much. This debate is getting old. I started this thread to see what detector users would like to see in production again that they really liked....Not a debate on who has the "best" detector.
I agree, that would be a fruitless debate. There are too many variables in detecting to make a broad statement as to what the best detector is. My favorite oldie is the White's Eagle ll SL90 which I still use from time to time. I found a ton of good stuff with that detector. It's not quite as good as my E-trac though, especially at the beach!

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to see the old BH 840 back in production. I used one in 1980, 81, and part of 82. Now it's on the 'blink'. I found more with it than I have the BH Tracker 2D that I bought in (?) 90s. I will admit that I didn't like the motion of the Tracker, so I didn't use it as much as the 840. I plan on getting the old 840 repaired in the near future. (Spent too much for Christmas and also bought a BH Lone Star and a Tracker 4; so I'll probably have to wait until after the first of the year.) I'm anxious to see which is the better of the 4. Because I haven't used the 840 since the mid 80s, I believe I can compare all 4. While I was using the 840, I was out at least once a week; sometime 4 or 5 times. I got to know it quite well.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Cudamark......

No hard feelings.....There was just a difference of opinion. We have a mutual interest in a great hobby! Hope you have a good Christmas and Happy New Year! :occasion14:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Cudamark......

No hard feelings.....There was just a difference of opinion. We have a mutual interest in a great hobby! Hope you have a good Christmas and Happy New Year! :occasion14:
No hard feelings at all! I find it an interesting debate. I think most of us wax nostalgic about our old machines. It's kinda like vintage cars we've owned. We remember the good times we had with them but if we objectively compare them, the new cars are better in every way except price.....and even that isn't much different taking inflation into account. Detectors we've used years, even decades, ago found us treasure once we got used to them and their quirks. We hit more virgin spots, the targets were shallower, and we had less competition than today so it's hard to compare results. About the only way is to bring all your detectors to a site and compare them on each target before recovery to see how accurate they are and if they all can "read" the target at all. In areas with good ground, shallow targets, and little junk, the difference might be nil. It's when you push the conditions to the extreme that the new machines really shine. Whichever machine you choose to use, I wish everyone here a "Golden" 2014!

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I wouldn't trade my new machines for my 80's relics. They got it done in the day but it was a whole different virgin world back then.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting