What vintage detector would you like to see in production again?

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2 PRO with the 550 Digital Meter

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If there was one vintage detector you would like to see in production again that had great depth, stability, and balance, what would it be? I still use my "ole" CZ5 and wish that detector was still available.

I agree

pjduff

Mar 3, 2012
Madison, IN
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-x, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fisher 1266-X, I still use mine that I bought in '91 but it's starting to act up some and is starting to look pretty rough!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would like to see the Fischer IMPULSE 8 back in production. I believe I bought mine back in the early '90s. It is still going strong but.... well..... I would like to see it go on for ever. So, someday it will poop out so I will need another. TTC

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

If there was one vintage detector you would like to see in production again that had great depth, stability, and balance, what would it be? I still use my "ole" CZ5 and wish that detector was still available.

Compass 77b, and the Teknetics Mark 1

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White's IDX Pro

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As much as I liked many of the older detectors and the fond memories of their use, I think the newer machines are much better....in every way but price. May they rest in peace, or your closet....take your pick.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Sovereign GT in a Sand Shark Housing.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As much as I liked many of the older detectors and the fond memories of their use, I think the newer machines are much better....in every way but price. May they rest in peace, or your closet....take your pick.[/QUOTE

Many say that newer technology is better, but really, is it? There really isn't a great deal of improvement on depth of machines today, say, from the 1980's or 90s. I have a book from the early 90s saying a good detector should be able to pick up a dime at 8 - 9 inches. Not much difference than todays detectors.

Most detectors are lighter than what they use to be when I began detecting and there were no electronic pinpointers which have been a great aid in recovery. The newer, modern machines may be digital, but better, that is debatable. If the technology was that much better than 20 or 25 years ago, then modern detectors should be able to pick up a dime at 15 inches and quarters at 20 with good id readouts, but they can't.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Jeffofpa, I tried hard to get you one from Minelab in Chicago. If your still interested I can have my hunting partner Dave from Kellyco keep eye out for you....

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As much as I liked many of the older detectors and the fond memories of their use, I think the newer machines are much better....in every way but price. May they rest in peace, or your closet....take your pick.[/QUOTE

Many say that newer technology is better, but really, is it? There really isn't a great deal of improvement on depth of machines today, say, from the 1980's or 90s. I have a book from the early 90s saying a good detector should be able to pick up a dime at 8 - 9 inches. Not much difference than todays detectors.

Most detectors are lighter than what they use to be when I began detecting and there were no electronic pinpointers which have been a great aid in recovery. The newer, modern machines may be digital, but better, that is debatable. If the technology was that much better than 20 or 25 years ago, then modern detectors should be able to pick up a dime at 15 inches and quarters at 20 with good id readouts, but they can't.
I didn't mean to imply that the new detectors are twice as good as a 20 year old one but if you can get an accurate dime reading at 10 inches down instead of only 8 inches, I call that better. Beach machines with discrimination are significantly better. PI machines haven't changed a whole lot....a little better depth but not much. Stability and ground balancing in mineralized ground is also better on the new machines. Some models are much better ergonomically.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't mean to imply that the new detectors are twice as good as a 20 year old one but if you can get an accurate dime reading at 10 inches down instead of only 8 inches, I call that better. Beach machines with discrimination are significantly better. PI machines haven't changed a whole lot....a little better depth but not much. Stability and ground balancing in mineralized ground is also better on the new machines. Some models are much better ergonomically.

I wasn't implying that you meant modern detectors were twice as deep.....But most detectors today except for the most expensive top of the line units can't get a dime at 10 inches in soil conditions. What I'm saying is that with all of this new technology, they should be able to get coins at extreme depths. I do agree that they are much better when it comes to weight and balance. That being said though some of the Minelabs could be better made ergonomically.

docbars

Oct 15, 2007
SOUTHEAST OHIO
Detector(s) used
V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Compass coin scanner, CZ5, Tesoro deep search 7,tecknetics mark1,and Whites 6000dipro

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't implying that you meant modern detectors were twice as deep.....But most detectors today except for the most expensive top of the line units can't get a dime at 10 inches in soil conditions. What I'm saying is that with all of this new technology, they should be able to get coins at extreme depths. I do agree that they are much better when it comes to weight and balance. That being said though some of the Minelabs could be better made ergonomically.
When you stated that modern machines SHOULD be able to pick up a dime at 15" and a quarter at 20" with an accurate I.D., that indicated to me that you thought they should be twice as good as the older machines. I didn't realize that price was a factor in this discussion. Most of the older machines were "top of the line" at one point or another so comparing them to the current "top of the line" machines I think is fair. Otherwise, how would you make a basis for comparison. Minelab HAS made an ergonomically good metal detector......the CTX 3030. If you think a 20 year old machine compares with that one (in any price class) you haven't used one! Naturally, if you're in an area where the ground is stable and the targets aren't deep, an older machine will do the job just fine. Here in SoCal the competition is tough so you need every edge you can get.:laughing7:

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When you stated that modern machines SHOULD be able to pick up a dime at 15" and a quarter at 20" with an accurate I.D., that indicated to me that you thought they should be twice as good as the older machines. I didn't realize that price was a factor in this discussion. Most of the older machines were "top of the line" at one point or another so comparing them to the current "top of the line" machines I think is fair. Otherwise, how would you make a basis for comparison. Minelab HAS made an ergonomically good metal detector......the CTX 3030. If you think a 20 year old machine compares with that one (in any price class) you haven't used one! Naturally, if you're in an area where the ground is stable and the targets aren't deep, an older machine will do the job just fine. Here in SoCal the competition is tough so you need every edge you can get.:laughing7:

You misunderstood what I was saying.

From what I've read on the forum, the Minelabs, including the CTX are much heavier than say, for example, Tesoros and top of the line machines of other brands.....Even if you watch the tests on Youtube, even the top of the line units have trouble hitting dimes at 10 inches....I don't want to get into the debate regarding brands, prices, etc....I'm just asking what vintage detector would you like to see in production again regardless of price or brand. You said " the newer machines are much better" .Some disagree, including myself....To each his own. Bells and whistles, like a GPS, doesn't improve depth of a detector, it is the user and how the operator uses it.

JohnnyFlake

Sep 26, 2013
Henderson, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21 - 8" Coil - Tesoro Outlaw - 5", 8" & 10" Coils - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV with 8" Coil, Garrett Pro Pointer & Garmin Oregon 450 GPS.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would buy either one of these in a heart beat!

Fisher CZ6 and/or Fisher 1266X

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You misunderstood what I was saying.

From what I've read on the forum, the Minelabs, including the CTX are much heavier than say, for example, Tesoros and top of the line machines of other brands.....Even if you watch the tests on Youtube, even the top of the line units have trouble hitting dimes at 10 inches....I don't want to get into the debate regarding brands, prices, etc....I'm just asking what vintage detector would you like to see in production again regardless of price or brand. You said " the newer machines are much better" .Some disagree, including myself....To each his own. Bells and whistles, like a GPS, doesn't improve depth of a detector, it is the user and how the operator uses it.
I find that air tests are unreliable. Real world ground tests are what count. I know of several good old sites that have been hammered for decades with the older machines to the point where it was a waste of time hunting the area. In steps someone with an E-trac, CTX 3030, V3I, etc, and the place comes alive again with old coins. It can't just be a coincidence....same sites, same user, same experience, but new detector. To me, that means the new machine is better.

OP
OP
Newfiehunter

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find that air tests are unreliable. Real world ground tests are what count. I know of several good old sites that have been hammered for decades with the older machines to the point where it was a waste of time hunting the area. In steps someone with an E-trac, CTX 3030, V3I, etc, and the place comes alive again with old coins. It can't just be a coincidence....same sites, same user, same experience, but new detector. To me, that means the new machine is better.

These were not air tests. If you take a CZ3D 1021 which is much older, less expensive model than the units you mentioned above, it would probably do the same... There seems to be an elitist attitude here. The same as I guy I know who thought the "best" detector was an Explorer, then wasn't happy till he got a V3I. Then he sold that to get a CTX3030. Guess what? His finds didn't improve much. This debate is getting old. I started this thread to see what detector users would like to see in production again that they really liked....Not a debate on who has the "best" detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread