jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This my total finds of clad for 2013 any tips how to clean the dirty clad??? And mexican coins 1500 pesos

image-373388315.jpg

image-4174624378.jpg

image-2775302179.jpg

image-95624646.jpg

Upvote 0

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get a cheap rock tumbler from Harbor Freight, add some Fisk tank gravel or similar media and a few drops of dish washing liquid and some water. They come out looking good.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, I use a little vinegar and some laundry powder along with the gravel in mine. By the looks of yours, they're not all that bad. I only tumble the ones that are crusty and won't go through the CoinStar machines. Otherwise, I spend the clean ones or convert them to gift cards at the machine.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What about doing electrolysis? You can you tube it. I still have yet to do this to mine.
Otherwise I saw on a show that used several detergents and tumbling in detergent. Possibly even using a de scaler type cleaner.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What about doing electrolysis? You can you tube it. I still have yet to do this to mine. Otherwise I saw on a show that used several detergents and tumbling in detergent. Possibly even using a de scaler type cleaner.

Electrolysis works great on a single item but a pile of clad would take you forever to do.

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
Rock tumbler, aquarium gravel, apple cider vinegar and a couple tablespoons or salt. Run it about 30 mins, then check it. Then find a good coin star machine.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I been to coinstar 4 times this year and unless they are crusty the coinstar machine takes them. Like others I use a little gravel ans few drop of dawn soap and run them about 1o min in my tumbler. I used to just let them soak for a day or so then I had a wide mouth jug I shook them in and when i got tired i dried them and went to coinstar. Cashed in $400 at coinstar this year. If you take the gift card you get 100% value but if you take cash you get about 89%

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Electrolysis works great on a single item but a pile of clad would take you forever to do.
Clean them after the day trip then. Is it possible to have wire long enough to have multiple coins or items connected to it? That way not doing one at a time.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tumbling is so much faster, easier, and cheaper it's not worth messing with electrolysis on clad.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give it all a good rinse in a collander and then run it through a coinstar machine. If you use the money on one of their gift cards, no deduction from the amount. Take the leftovers and either clean them better or spend them as is. For foreign currency you can see if their is a local foreign currency exchange.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a link that shows you the exact steps. I bought a tumblr and used these instructions. It worked great.

How To Clean Clad Coins

View attachment 916432

View attachment 916433

View attachment 916434
[/QUOTE]
IMO this method is total overkill for clad. Unless you're going to go to the trouble of rolling all your coins, you just need to get them clean enough to spend. Usually an hour or two is all it takes if you put a little vinegar in the mix. If you're going to use the CoinStar machine, you just need to get it clean enough so the machine doesn't jam or reject the coin. I tumble, then use my sand scoop to strain the gravel into a bucket to be reused. The coins get dumped onto an old towel to dry. Simple as that.....less electricity and no wasting of paper towels or buying/making/washing a strainer.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I didn't see it above - might have missed it, but here's something you need to know when tumbling - DO THE PENNIES SEPARATELY. If you mix them, the whole works will come out looking copper coated.
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread