How do you keep track of finds, time spent detecting?

Sharryn

Nov 27, 2013
S. Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Samson 32" T-handle,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weather broke today in central Pennsylvania and I was able to get outside and try out my new Garrett AT Pro and Garrett pro-pointer. This is my first MD outing and I was pretty excited.

Anyway, I want to keep accurate record of the time spent detecting and also what I found and where. Is there a spreadsheet or software that I can use to log this information? I'm interested in what you do to keep track of things.

Upvote 0

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't track time spent detecting, but I have tracked my better finds on an Excel spreadsheet since I returned to the hobby in 2007. Date, place and item description and for water hunting in my favorite lakes, I also map where in the lake the item was. Seeing this info on lakes I hunt every year has helped me to see the pattern of where the drops are most likely to be.

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weather broke today in central Pennsylvania and I was able to get outside and try out my new Garrett AT Pro and Garrett pro-pointer. This is my first MD outing and I was pretty excited.

Anyway, I want to keep accurate record of the time spent detecting and also what I found and where. Is there a spreadsheet or software that I can use to log this information? I'm interested in what you do to keep track of things.

Here is how I track this information. I am sure there are probably better ways but this is inexpensive and easy.

1. I track my time by starting my timer on my cell phone. I just note it when I finish. (I have not really done this for a couple years)
2. I Carry with me 50 flags numbered with unique identifiers and place them where ever I dig a hole.
3. I then mark them on the map where they were and what was recovered. I do not use these on trash unless it is helps me date the area or depth.
4. I then transfer this to the master map when I get home.

Good Hunting - Koffee

Red Snapper

Jul 9, 2013
MA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Fisher pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I started keeping track with a small note book, record and date all good finds. My trash is turning into quite a metal pile! I don't record my hours but I keep track of how many batteries I've gone through. That should give you a decent estimate.

Garbagebill

Nov 1, 2013
San Joaquin valley Ca.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics gamma 6000/Detech 13" Ultimate DD Coil
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Buzz Wilson Bomb Sheath/Lesche digging tool/Black Widow headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also try "DigMate" for iPhone iPad etc...

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lol how come I was the only one flamed as a nerd alert for mentioning apps lol fun times :)

D.A.D.D.-Dads against daughters dating

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't care personally where I find it I will hunt an area until I think I did the best i could then move on and if it's a park i go back the next year.

I throw pennies in one can, clad in another, junk jewelry watches ect in another can and the hot wheels in another can. The trash i usually throw away unless it is a relic of interest.

Armorer73

Mar 1, 2013
California City, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab X-Terra
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep track of my finds when I cash in the clad! $135 this year (my first).

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't keep track of time spent as it is a hobby. I haven't cashed in my clad yet' at last count it was over $750.

Wife gets first choice of all jewelery I find and rest goes in my display case.

yzuraryj.jpg

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

GPS53

May 17, 2009
Mercer county, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites, XLT & V3i, TRX Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only thing I keep track of is what my buddy and I find is Silver and any other very Good finds, put them in sleeves and mark with the date found. Don`t want to over complicate a hobby.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the 'coffee can' system. Silver in one, clad in another, coppers in a third. Around this time of year I take my cans of clad to my bank (credit union) and dump them into the giant coin machine they have for that purpose. Out pops a little receipt which I give to the teller and into my account it goes. Battery and gas money for the coming - CHECK. As for the jewelry found I don't have to be bothered with handling that. The manors self appointed jewelry czar has been handling that end of the business for the last 47 years.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember using Ginkgoware way back when and it was sort of fun for awhile then got to be labor intensive I thought. But I see the use of recording your good finds for posterity.:coffee2:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly clad and modern stuff doesn't really make much difference to me.. But I keep shipwreck artifacts and coins separated by wreck.. Military and other historical artifacts.. I keep together by site.. And areas like those I keep track of where items are found and what they are to enhance my knowledge of the area for future hunting

Garbagebill

Nov 1, 2013
San Joaquin valley Ca.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics gamma 6000/Detech 13" Ultimate DD Coil
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Buzz Wilson Bomb Sheath/Lesche digging tool/Black Widow headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure hunter, awesome idea for a display! I might have to come up with something like that. Very cool!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your finds have ANY sentimental value to you, I really don't think you need a written record of where they were found.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

laurenB

Aug 24, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
V3i, Garrett Pinpointer Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I kept notes of my finds for a very short period of time ... then I realized I could use that time to detect more.

Track of time ... there's never seems to be enough .. I seem to lose all sense of time once I turn my machine on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread