How do you keep track of finds, time spent detecting?

Sharryn

Nov 27, 2013
S. Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Samson 32" T-handle,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The weather broke today in central Pennsylvania and I was able to get outside and try out my new Garrett AT Pro and Garrett pro-pointer. This is my first MD outing and I was pretty excited.

Anyway, I want to keep accurate record of the time spent detecting and also what I found and where. Is there a spreadsheet or software that I can use to log this information? I'm interested in what you do to keep track of things.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to say it, but I don't. I will group the finds by location, but that's about it.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sheesh, I must be terrible. I don't track anything. I have all my coin finds in a box ( not nearly full)

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been at this since Nov, have about 26 hours of hunt time.. Thought about what you are asking, but after my 50th pull tab figured it would be a worthless exerciser and I was getting enough exercise digging all the junk.
You will remember where you find the good stuff..
For instance, here is what I pulled from yesterdays first hunt at my cousins property.

100_2000.JPG

Tom Slick

Jul 21, 2012
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
XP Deus & Deus II, Makro Multi Kruzer, White's DFX w/18" Arrow Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to track mine on an excel spreadsheet but it got way too time consuming and I had too many sheets of paper. Now I just throw out the trash and keep all the goodies in different Large Containers. Toy cars in a couple, keys, Clad that needs to be tumbled, Damaged Coins, Good Pennies, Bad pennies (corroded zincs), and a few filled with other good stuff. Silver coins, and tokens, etc. go into three ring binders with plastic coin sleeves, and Good jewelry goes into a treasure box.

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guys there is a minelab app for iPhone that lets you record. Time, place etc as well a photo and works and looks very well , and u don't need to run a minelab to use it , just type in minelab in the iPhone app center and you will bring up a few different things , there are also other non generic apps to record your hunts , hope this helped

D.A.D.D.-Dads against daughters dating

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still use pen and paper in a note book by date, cause I'd never remember where I found most of what I found! Minds too full of the important stuff like where the matching sock to this one is! Lol! And there's the e-challenged thing!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to record finds, location, etc. Then it got to time consuming and I would just place a tag on the rings and change goes in a bucket.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HAHAHA and you can use the MD to find the phone in the mud! :laughing7: Maybe there's an app for dat!

Flex68

Dec 10, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently researching to buy
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A friend who has a museum-quality fossil collection taught me to record only the "best" finds, with a find number, date, basic description, etc. The find number goes on the fossil, with all the information in a Record Book.
According to him, this provides a sort of 'provenance' and increases value to a place like the Smithsonian, as well as allowing him to keep an accurate record of what he finds, where it was found, when he found it, and a basic description in case he returns and locates 'associated' fossils.

He ignores the 'sub-par' or 'average' items.

I would think this might translate well to MD finds, and not require a huge investment of time.....

Me, I don't do it with my fossils or Native American artifacts, and likely won't do it do with anything I end up locating while MD'ing, either. Well, unless I unearth a killer cache or sumpin

sask hunter

Aug 26, 2013
yorkton saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter tro/bfo
ace 250
teknetics 4000
atp pro
minelab ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
HAHAHA and you can use the MD to find the phone in the mud! :laughing7: Maybe there's an app for dat!
You know I bet If you look hard enough you will find one D.A.D.D.-Dads against daughters dating

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should be using the "Terry's Tried & True Spreadsheet App." Just send me $99.99 and I'll send you a sheet. Spread it out, throw all your stuff in it, and tell your old lady you don't spend half the time detecting that all your buddies do! :thumbsup:

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't record my finds; but I do keep them separate. I put bracelets, rings, etc. in a box; I put my coins in the little see-through holders that you fold and staple. I haven't been through my collection in several years. I have probably 600 coins. I save the wheats, pre-1950 nickels, and the silver. I have a couple of hundred, or maybe more, coins that I haven't put in the folders. I ran out and didn't get any more. I will do that between now and spring!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyway, I want to keep accurate record of the time spent detecting and also what I found and where. Is there a spreadsheet or software that I can use to log this information? I'm interested in what you do to keep track of things.

I don't keep track of that stuff. This is a hobby for me so no need to spend time number crunching. If I have a spot producing good, I know it. No need to write it down.

Starree

Greenie
Jun 19, 2013
I use an ipad app called good notes. I just started detecting this June and I wanted to keep track of the hours spent plus all finds, even trash! I just type out a brief description of my hunt i.e. : where, how long, interesting finds, etc. then take a picture of everything I found. I managed 50 hunts in all and spent about 75-80 hours in total. I love going back and seeing how much I've progressed.

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep a written logbook of my finds going back to 1990! The journal itself even looks like a relic! I do this for posterity so I can look back and see where I found particular items, especially old coins. The coins that go in my collection album has the date on the holder so I can go back to my logbook and BINGO!, I know exactly where I found it, even though I pretty much remember where it was found...The logbook helps keep track of progress, best sites, finds (coins and rings mostly), and which detector did better over the other....For me, it does help by being meticulous. Others feel it may be a waste of time, but to each his own...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread