Your Favorite Areas

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys,

I've been kind of curious lately. My hunting season has been grounded due to several inches of snow on the ground, but in an effort to walk into next season better prepared to find the good stuff, I just thought I'd ask you, what is your favorite public place to hunt. Imagine yourself at a school with

1. A playground
2. Some ball fields
3. A sports/soccer field

Suppose you only had one day to hunt the place for coins and jewelry, which place would you choose to hunt and why?

C4C

Upvote 0

Jeff B

Jan 9, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5 ID
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had better luck at the playgrounds when it comes to coins. Soccer feild gave up a Pandora bracelet with eight charms but nothing else. Softball field usually has 20:1 ratio pull tabs to coins. Very frustrating. I would say the playground for the most amount of good targets.

foiled_again

Jan 29, 2013
DFW area, TX
Detector(s) used
CZ7a, Compadre (wader mod), Land Ranger Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd eyeball the playground (assuming you mean play set with slides etc) first, looking for deep sand. Think of the mechanics of losing a coin; if the sand is too thin or hard to cover it quickly, it's not gonna be lost. Likewise with wood chips...they have to be fluffy and light, not hard packed. As to shredded rubber...a complete zero for me.

It wouldn't take you anything like a day to do a tot lot. I can harvest my favorite deep sand playground in 20 minutes or so; in season the refill rate is up to two dollars a week. Then on to the soccer field, usually a little better than other ball fields. Sweaty people running around as opposed to folks standing around with gloves waiting for the next pitch.

My most recent silver ring, and my find of the year (Tiffany locket), came from grassy areas next to basketball courts. Again the mechanics; players putting their stuff down to hit the court, or taking a breather.

And: head for the tall (or thick...or greener) grass. If the grass is thin, the shiny stuff is more likely to get picked back up.

OP
OP
C

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the info

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread