Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Grumpy Old Man's Rant

I can't help but wonder what(or if) people are thinking when they post the question - "I have the chance to hunt such and such a property or location what can I expect to find there?" Seems to me the only really valid or accurate answer to this is detect it and find out. How can anybody give a definite answer? There's enough randomness in this hobby that it's common to find a true goody anywhere and none in what would seem like an ideal location or a lot in one hunt and little or nothing in the next. This randomness is why I suggest never turning off your detector until you arrive back at your vehicle. Okay, I've gotten it off my chest. Happy hunting in 2014 everyone.
luvsdux

Upvote 0

Alan Applegate

Aug 20, 2013
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. I once went to a whole lot of trouble getting permission to hunt a specific site. The house was built circa 1890, so what did I suspect? Well, what I got was nil!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are so right...Most of the newbies expect to find riches and old rare coins when starting out.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of us asked/said/did stupid things when we were really new to the hobby. Sometimes I think they post just for the sake of posting, or because they are so excited they can't think straight. Just skip past the "duh" posts and let others respond.

Garbagebill

Nov 1, 2013
San Joaquin valley Ca.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics gamma 6000/Detech 13" Ultimate DD Coil
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Buzz Wilson Bomb Sheath/Lesche digging tool/Black Widow headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah I think it's mostly posted because of the excitement. I started only 2 months ago and was so excited just to go to the parks here in my city. I've never posted that question, but sometimes when I post in "today's finds" I think, "hmm do they really want to see my $4 in clad and 8 beer bottle caps? Hahaha so I've stopped posting there until I find something of value or if I find something that stumps me and need to ask what is it? I'm sure a lot of you that have been on this site (and other sites) for years probably just shake your heads at us newbie posts lol and I completely understand. I think SusanMN hit it on the head, it's mostly the anticipation of what we might find. HH and happy holidays!!

73dguard

Mar 2, 2013
South Paris, ME
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD
Nokta Gold King
Teknetics AlphA 2000
Garrett Pointer Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess what they are thinking is: Maybe someone else has detected there before and can tell me what THEY found, or how highly mineralized the soil is or if it's been "hunted clean" etc.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever driven a car? Look around at the other drives next time you are out, there is very little "Thinking" going on anymore!!
Never really was a horn blower till of late. If I want to make it through the light after it turns green (4 cars back) I had better be ready to lean on the horn when the light turns green. I "Think" I am the only person on the road actually thinking about driving my car! Grrrrr Good thing they don't let me have rocket launchers on the front of my car!
Stupid questions don't bother me, just ignore them.. but the DIMWIT behind me texting could kill me at the next red light.

Good thing you need two hands to text.. keeps them from swinging a MD while Texting!

OP
OP
L

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't mind doing my best with questions on ground balance, coil choices etc. etc., but the ones that any logic points to - how would we know, try it and find out? tend to ruffle my feathers as we're not close to the location in question, nor can we check it out for them. End of rant, thanks for the responses folks and have a great detecting year in 14.
luvsdux

JunkShopFiddler

Bronze Member
Feb 15, 2013
SW Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think "newbies" should be told what I was told as a newbie when I asked a veteran that question. He said, "if you dig big holes and leave them unfilled, then what you will find is...someone will close the area to detecting and you won't find anything there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread