My iPad Is Freaking Me Out!

Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK, this is weird.
I've just started back into metal detecting and have only been out once due to weather. Springfield MO is full of small parks, school playgrounds and tot lots that I intend to search regularly.

So today I went out on an errand out of town, not MDing, something else. I took my iPad and it had the Google Maps app running. When I get to my destination I had a few minutes to wait for the person I was meeting so I pull out my iPad and there on the screen was the sattelite view of my neighborhood and there was a place mark on a park near my home.
And in the upper left part of the screen under the search box was a message. It read:

"Lost pin near George Washington Carver Park."

I'm like, WTF? I poke at the message box but it doesn't open to anything. I have no idea where it came from and it's gone now. There is no message history of any kind.

So my iPad now knows I metal detect and is offering suggestions where to go look???

I am absolutely baffled.

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you sign up for LostMyStuff.com? I think you can get alerts when something is lost in your area. Either way, I think I'd to hunting around George Washington Carver Park!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OK, this is weird. I've just started back into metal detecting and have only been out once due to weather. Springfield MO is full of small parks, school playgrounds and tot lots that I intend to search regularly. So today I went out on an errand out of town, not MDing, something else. I took my iPad and it had the Google Maps app running. When I get to my destination I had a few minutes to wait for the person I was meeting so I pull out my iPad and there on the screen was the sattelite view of my neighborhood and there was a place mark on a park near my home. And in the upper left part of the screen under the search box was a message. It read: "Lost pin near George Washington Carver Park." I'm like, WTF? I poke at the message box but it doesn't open to anything. I have no idea where it came from and it's gone now. There is no message history of any kind. So my iPad now knows I metal detect and is offering suggestions where to go look??? I am absolutely baffled.

Wonder if it could be related to geocaching? Unless you turn location services off on your iPad it is constantly tracking where you are.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had my Ipad for three years and never had that happen. You can go into your settings though and see which apps can push alerts to you.

dbag1969

Jun 15, 2013
Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone probably pinned/tagged it to share the location of lost item information with someone so they could help them find the lost item and then removed it as soon as the recipient got the location and gps coords. Most likely it was directed to someone they knew with a metal detector that could help them recover their item and would explain why it was taken down so quickly. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
BabyNeedsANewPairO'Shoes
Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did you sign up for LostMyStuff.com? I think you can get alerts when something is lost in your area. Either way, I think I'd to hunting around George Washington Carver Park!

In the time since I posted this thread, I've searched the internet for any possible app or web site that could possibly cause this to happen. No, I have not signed up at any of the lost stuff web sites, and I was unable to find any site that claimed to cause a notification pushed to Google Maps without looking for it.

I know this happened, and I'm not saying that there isn't a rational explanation, but I am still baffled. I didn't even know about the lost stuff web sites until after this happened.

I wonder if this was the result of some sort of Beta testing part of the last IOS upgrade that hasn't been released yet? I'm just grasping at straws about this.

But yes, I will search GWC Park at my earliest opportunity!

OP
OP
BabyNeedsANewPairO'Shoes
Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Someone probably pinned/tagged it to share the location of lost item information with someone so they could help them find the lost item and then removed it as soon as the recipient got the location and gps coords. Most likely it was directed to someone they knew with a metal detector that could help them recover their item and would explain why it was taken down so quickly. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks, dbag...yes, that's probably right. Still at a loss though as to why It came up not only as a place mark but also as a message???

OP
OP
BabyNeedsANewPairO'Shoes
Dec 5, 2013
Springfield, MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wonder if it could be related to geocaching? Unless you turn location services off on your iPad it is constantly tracking where you are.

Perhaps, CoilyGirl, and I do not turn my location services off...but I don't have any apps that I know of that push lost item info into Google Maps in a place mark and a message. I was hoping that someone here might have seen the same kind of thing. Nothing on an internet search came up.
Just one of those things, I guess...kind of like Roswell.
Thanks!

silverwing

Greenie
Jun 24, 2013
Utah
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum
My phone does that occasionally on Google maps. 'Pin' being that little upside down tear drop they use to show locations on the map. I don't know how the program loses a location on a map, but there you go.

That said... I'd probably still check out the park...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread