Some forum Sponsors and vendors are not all theyre cracked up to be

rhino71

Mar 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Whites DFX Garrett GTAX 550
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some forum Sponsors and vendors are not all they're cracked up to be

I made a few inquiries over the holiday into some different machines posted on the classifieds. I also ATTEMPTED to communicate directly with some of the vendors regarding some different new detectors. Let's just say my batting average on getting replies from some of them wouldn't have won a little league game. Say whatever you want about some of the vendors but what I read about some of them and what I experienced was night and day. And for business to tell someone they will get back to them and you hear nothing, nada...even days later ??? Not going to stay in business long....nuff said.

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your upset they didn't get back to you over the busiest times of the year......? Did you call or email....?

OP
OP
rhino71

rhino71

Mar 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705 Whites DFX Garrett GTAX 550
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL! Yes! I am. And yes, I called and emailed. Kellyco does however seem to be in business.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
LOL! Yes! I am. And yes, I called and emailed. Kellyco does however seem to be in business.

Didn't Kellyco drop their sponsorship here? They were getting plenty bad rap on this site for a while - and I guess they'd earned it. I bought my first detector from Kellyco in 1981 - Garrett Deepseeker ADS III

The joys I found in that machine :) Plenty virgin sites back then....

Kellyco should come back and be a sponsor again! However, I'd still deal with people with whom I could negotiate :)

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Your upset they didn't get back to you over the busiest times of the year......? Did you call or email....?

Most of the sponsors here are not corporate conglomerates! The sponsors here have families, and it was Christmas.

I would have forgiven them for that - but I probably would not have been in a hurry. Please don't judge the sponsors because they paid attention to their families at Christmas!

Just my two cents worth.....

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't Kellyco drop their sponsorship here? They were getting plenty bad rap on this site for a while - and I guess they'd earned it. I bought my first detector from Kellyco in 1981 - Garrett Deepseeker ADS III

Kellyco should come back and be a sponsor again! However, I'd still deal with people with whom I could negotiate :)

I'd rather buy a package deal off ebay than from kellyco.

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has been Christmas.....I know from experience that there are some VERY prompt and helpful (to say the least) sponsoring vendors on this forum. They are not huge "box stores" that will treat you like a number after a purchase........TR

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Rhino, there's a difference between classifieds vendors and forum sponsors. A classifieds vendor could be almost anyone. A classifieds vendor may be just fine, but when it comes to shopping around, there are two classes of dealers that are at the top. Forum sponsors and knowledgeable local dealers.

Forum sponsors sponsor these forums. They have nowhere to hide. And to be financially able to be a sponsor, they have to be big enough that they've got some serious investment in doing their business. For an incompetent dealer, becoming a forum sponsor risks the death of their business because a fish in a fishbowl is the fish everyone gets their shot at saying it's ugly.

I am not saying that forum sponsors never screw up. I personally screw up, everyone here does, and so do the finest businesses in town. A good business doesn't make major screwups very often, and when they do, they try to get it fixed. A forum sponsor is spending money to get more business, and by doing so they're exposing themselves to complaints on the very forum they sponsor, even if the complaint isn't justified.

I work for a manufacturer. Been in the biz for several decades now. I have some perspective on this stuff. And here's my opinion.

The two best kinds of dealers there are, are forum sponsors, and a local knowledgeable mom & pop dealer. Both classes of dealers have no place to hide: they do business in a fishbowl where all the cats in the neighborhood can watch. And although they may not always be able to beat the supposed price of some other kind of dealer, with a forum sponsor or a local knowledgeable mom & pop dealer, you are paying for value added. In both cases part of that value is confidence in the bona fides of the dealer. The local dealer adds face-to-face value, there's knowledge of what works well in their area and you have a personal relationship. The forum sponsor adds value by sponsoring the forum where you're learning about metal detecting, and forum sponsors usually have economies of scale that permit them to stock a wide variety of product.

Local dealers are dying out because of Internet sales competition, and that's sad. The local dealer's price might be 10% higher, but that 10% is almost nothing compared to bigger picture of the value a good local dealer can add. Shopping for the lowest price tag without considering value added is not a smart strategy.

I'm not criticizing the forum sponsors who do most of their business over the Internet. They, too, have their value to add, and it's different kind of value. The industry needs both things to be healthy.

Please notice that I have said nothing about what brand is better than another, or even whether to buy new or refurb/demo or used (both local dealers and forum sponsors have that flexibility). What I am saying is that there are two kinds of dealers you should prefer to do business with-- forum sponsors, and knowledgeable local dealers. There's always the risk that something may not go quite right, but with those two classes of dealers the risk is low and the chances of satisfactory resolution are high.

--Dave J.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No Kellyco did Not Drop their Sponsorship as Per Post #15 here by Gene@Kellyco

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/general-discussion/391100-buyer-beware.html

They are just overwhelmed I guess , same as the others

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have purchased from kellyco with no problems! I bought my AT Pro Adventure package from them and had it in less than a week!
So my experience with kellyco was a positive one!

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here, I've been buying from Kellyco since their beginning with no problems at all. I've also bought from Bart at Big Boys and from a couple of local dealers with great success. The "iffiest" ones seem to be the private sellers, mainly on E-bay and Craig's list. I've had mixed luck there. As mentioned, many of the vendors are small businesses that don't have a huge staff to handle the volume around the holidays. Give them a few days to catch up. The good ones will........

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had all positive experiences with the forum sponsors so far. Maybe you can elaborate on what exactly your problem was and someone can help you?

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
babyboo.jpeg

Big Red

Feb 4, 2012
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett: Grand Master Hunter CX III, CX Plus, GTI 2500, GTI 1500, GTA 1000 Ultra, Tesoro Lobo Super track, Sorex Pro, Discovery Electronics: Treasure Baron GoldTrax, Treasure Baron CoinTrax. Minelab:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gonna have to agree!.....Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ordered Grey Ghost Headphones, a book, and a few smalls, from them the day after Christmas................it all arrived 2 days before the tracking said it would. One time stuff was backordered in the Spring.
I have purchased from kellyco with no problems! I bought my AT Pro Adventure package from them and had it in less than a week!
So my experience with kellyco was a positive one!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well there at one time was a dealer sponsor on here that is not here any more the reason is he told the truth about one of the detectors that the company he sold for …. The company did not like the truth and now he can not sell that brand now…So when a dealer tells you about the detector you want to buy i would check with some one that uses that detector . Or find one you could try out …. For dealers are sales people and we know what they are like...

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had excellent results from the vendors on this site and another forum I use. I am sorry you were disappointed. Even though it was during the Holidays that is no excuse for poor service. If they didn't want to service your request they could have emailed you and told you why. I look at it as your the customer, they should chase you after your initial contact. Actually I hope every vendor on this site reads your post. Hopefully they will take notice.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I have had excellent results from the vendors on this site and another forum I use. I am sorry you were disappointed. Even though it was during the Holidays that is no excuse for poor service. If they didn't want to service your request they could have emailed you and told you why. I look at it as your the customer, they should chase you after your initial contact. Actually I hope every vendor on this site reads your post. Hopefully they will take notice.
I had no trouble with any dealer just talking..

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread