Found Ancient treasure need further digging need hand held detector.

bobpeters01

Dec 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need some help and advise on this venture. I have absolutely no experience with treasure (Metal) detectors. Treasure is buried under a concrete building. Opening and shaft already done. Found one ancient necklace and pottery dating back 500 years. More is there need to pinpoint location. It's 12 feet underground and to dig, water must be pumped out below the six foot level. We could just go on digging but if we can pinpoint the location the risk of building damage will be minimal. Can anyone offer advice?

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
12 ft. underground ?? Here we go again :) And you already found an "ancient necklace", right? Ok, was that necklace also "12 ft. underground" ?

What makes you think the bulk/rest of the treasure is "12 ft." deep? What if it's just fanciful legend and superstition? What country are you in ?

Unless the object is refrigerator or volkswagon sized, nothing will detect that deep.

Flex68

Dec 10, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently researching to buy
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found one ancient necklace and pottery dating back 500 years.

Does 500 yo = "ancient" ?

Maybe pick up yourself a ground penetrating radar unit, a D-10 to tear out the concrete floor in the appropriate spot(s), a nice backhoe to get to that 12' depth, and an 8" pump and just go at it like its Oak Island.
Course I haven't even dug a pull tab, yet.........

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who would have "buried" treasure 12' down after hitting water at 6'?? If you must look under that building, I'd stick to the first 6'. Go sideways and back fill your way around under the foundation. Add supports as necessary to keep it safe.

BertC

Dec 25, 2013
Who would have "buried" treasure 12' down after hitting water at 6'?? If you must look under that building, I'd stick to the first 6'. Go sideways and back fill your way around under the foundation. Add supports as necessary to keep it safe.

I totally agree with Cudamark with the supports.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Who would have "buried" treasure 12' down after hitting water at 6'??....

Ah but Mark, you're making the disasterous mistake of using common sense logic. I mean, ... c'mon, ... we all know those person who buried that "certain treasure" there 200 yrs. ago, got all sorts of pumps, wall-barriers constructed, and so forth, ... to put that treasure way below the water table line of that terrain. But alas, your common sense questions will have no effect on this. Any attempt to explain away the treasure lead (as embellished superstition), or common-sense reasons why it simply can't have been buried at such depths, will fall on deaf ears.

I'm still trying to understand, how 1 ft. vs 10 ft,, makes any difference at all in the "hiding it" process. I mean, sure, now in the last 40-ish years that detectors have become widespread, I suppose someone can make it deeper to foil those with metal detectors. But prior to the advent of detectors, what the h*ck difference did 1 ft, versus 3 ft,, versus 5 ft, etc... make? As long as the surface was covered back over, then going deeper doesn't hide it any better. In each way, it's still invisible.

About the only plausible explanation anyone has offered to this question, is if jungle terrain tree-shedding, (or mudslides or something) covered it deeper. But for the initial person to bury it that deep in the beginning? Notice that in the OP's case here, he's saying it's in the floor of a concrete building. Hence not jungle terrain, mudslides, etc...

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on the size of the treasure would a two box detector work?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might be a pain to use under a house however.....plumbing, rebar, and other metal items will set it off continuously.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah but Mark, you're making the disasterous mistake of using common sense logic. I mean, ... c'mon, ... we all know those person who buried that "certain treasure" there 200 yrs. ago, got all sorts of pumps, wall-barriers constructed, and so forth, ... to put that treasure way below the water table line of that terrain. But alas, your common sense questions will have no effect on this. Any attempt to explain away the treasure lead (as embellished superstition), or common-sense reasons why it simply can't have been buried at such depths, will fall on deaf ears.

I'm still trying to understand, how 1 ft. vs 10 ft,, makes any difference at all in the "hiding it" process. I mean, sure, now in the last 40-ish years that detectors have become widespread, I suppose someone can make it deeper to foil those with metal detectors. But prior to the advent of detectors, what the h*ck difference did 1 ft, versus 3 ft,, versus 5 ft, etc... make? As long as the surface was covered back over, then going deeper doesn't hide it any better. In each way, it's still invisible.

About the only plausible explanation anyone has offered to this question, is if jungle terrain tree-shedding, (or mudslides or something) covered it deeper. But for the initial person to bury it that deep in the beginning? Notice that in the OP's case here, he's saying it's in the floor of a concrete building. Hence not jungle terrain, mudslides, etc...
Ah, yes, logic.....prevents me from catching the wild goose....but relieves me from chasing it too! :laughing7:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
how about a pic of the supposed finds?

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Grabbing popcorn...

Buckle up boys. This is gonna be one wacky ride

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Grabbing popcorn...

Buckle up boys. This is gonna be one wacky ride

haha, but as you can see, the OP disappears. I've asked several of these "10 ft. deep" treasures people what country their from, and even that goes un-answered. My hunch is either Mexico or Phillipines. That is where the majority of this type cultural stuff comes from. Treasure lores abound, and they must all be true. But alas, "if only we had a metal detector that went 10 to 12 ft. deep through solid rock".

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once again the person who started the post has vanished. Lol

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes some how every now and then we get those one's on here…...

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
A woman bursts into a busy barber shop and loudly asks "Bob Peters here??". The barber says "Nope! Just cut hair".
You can tell by his tnet name he just came here to see who would answer his question Yes we get them now and then..

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread