Depth claims by the manufactures?

TOWcritter

Hi. I'm new to this metal detecting hobby but I attacked it like I do my other hobbies. I researched and decided on a Whites MXT. I am just learning the ropes now but it seems pretty close to spec. If it reads 10 inches it's within 1 or so inches either way. I've gotten pretty muddy the last 2 days I can tell you!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
I've yet to see any specific claims on depth capabilities from any MD mfrs. in the U.S. They simply use anecdotal evidence via testimonials where ever they promote specific capabilities. I'm not familiar with all machines in use, but my CZ-7 has a depth meter that goes to 10". I've found "stuff" to about three feet deep with it. Certainly not coin sized stuff. So I could state that they undersell the capabilities of their machine on the depth meter scale alone and be totally factual.

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
My deepest coin find with my DFX has been about 8" using the standard factory loop. It reads to 13" occasionally, but I am a sceptic. It has been VERY accurate to the 8" mark though. Spotz

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
I think the companies try to do an overall test with different types of soil and give an average. For my area, Fishers and Whites seem to dominate the area. In Texas, I saw more Garretts and Troys, however their man. plants are there. My detector registers a dime at 8-10" and quarter at about 12". This is disc setting of 6 and sens of 8.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My new BH claims about 8" max with an 8" coil which is realistic I think. What gives the deepest signal a small coil or a larger coil....in general? JIM

S

sal1966

hey whats up! i have a xlt and have had it 1 1/2 yrs. the deepest i've gotton on coins and small relics is about 8 inches. i've played around with different programs and they all seem to work best to that depth.(using the standard 9.5 inch coil) . I think the only way to get deeper is by using a larger coil. on large objects i've dug as deep as a foot and found nothing. SHOULD I KEEP DIGGING? OR ACCEPT IT AS A HOT ROCK OR SOMETHING?AND MOVE ON?? ???

S

sal1966

i guess i'll be digging to CHINA then. thanks, i'll let ya know when i get there. want some take out while i'm there? :D

PJB (Ohio)

Jan 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
kenb said:
Keep digging, I found a full Mountain Dew can over a foot down on the beach with my BH POS

When I was a kid, I buried a six-pack of the old coke (in bottles) when they announced the new coke formula. It's still down there, about a foot under the surface.

wayne

Mar 22, 2003
granger,wa.
pjb - where did you bury those old coke bottles - by george i haven't had one of those for a long long time. i was sorry to see coke change the formula even though it probably saved what's left of my kidneys. i was up to 15 bottles a day when they changed it. i don't believe that the coke ever got to my stomach - it seemed to just just spread out into my body before it got there. ohhh yeahh. wayne

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
My deepest six pack (beer) was over 2 feet in sand at the beach. Hard to go to some of the bigger beaches and not pull a can of soda or beer or a while six pack out once in a while. Dekalb33 got the winner in there, a cached beer in an ammo box! Hey EDD, got that story handy?

PJB (Ohio)

Jan 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wayne said:
pjb - where did you bury those old coke bottles

I buried those in a little tract of land next to my parents' house up in Toledo. One of my older brothers and I both had this fascination with burying things like time capsules, piggy banks, etc when we were kids. There are a LOT of random things buried throughout that lawn. I've been meaning to go back up there and see what I've forgotten!

The house was built in the 1920's and it's never been searched, but that's where all of the neighborhood kids hung out, so It's going to be really trashy.

PJB (Ohio)

Jan 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, I imagine I might get to them this summer sometime. Don't worry, I'll post pics and also fully document the site to keep Archie happy! "Pre-Reagan era settlement"

wayne

Mar 22, 2003
granger,wa.
pjb - just for a few moments i got excited - we have a toledo in the state of washington - i was going to beat a track over the cascades to beat you to the loot and then i saw that you were in ohio so i assumed that the toledo was there. well maybe next time. wayne

B

bobcat

I believe metal detectors can go as deep as the manufacturers claim! I noticed in certain conditions and times I seem to find items deeper then normal. Call me crazy but full moon periods, moisture in the ground, mineralization, junk all seem to influence depth. For example I went metal detecting at a great hunting spot and found coins at 6 inches almost universally at this site. No deeper! Next day I went a little later in the day and found coins at 8 to even 10 inches in the same spot. I think to myself that I went slow and carefully the first day. How could I miss the deeper coins? Seemed like the coins the second day were jumping out to me! New battery? Who knows. You tell me what you think. Bobcat

PJB (Ohio)

Jan 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wayne said:
pjb - just for a few moments i got excited - we have a toledo in the state of washington - i was going to beat a track over the cascades to beat you to the loot and then i saw that you were in ohio so i assumed that the toledo was there. well maybe next time. wayne

OH, I see how you are, yer a dern claim jumper! :D Yes, it's Toledo, Ohio. I really haven't been up there detecting at all, but I've got a lot of really interesting places researched up there. I'd be interested to know if anybody has hunted up there.

TOWcritter

Standard 9.5 coil. If it detects something real deep the display starts at 12 but won't go deeper to 13..14..15 etc....until you take some dirt off the top. And that was coin / jewlery. Haven't used relic yet. Prospecting mode won't give depth.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread