Newbie starting the new year with a bang!

tamaco

Oct 16, 2013
southwest
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out today bright and early... Found a little over $0.50, one gold earring (14k less then 1g) and a lump of i don't know what. Any guesses on what the lump is? It is metallic, very malleable, non magnetic, and weighs 80g. Thank you for looking!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You started it right, with gold! Nice!
The metal lump maybe lead? But I'm not sure.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Were you near a place that had railroad activity ? I found a similar lump a few years back that was melted babbitt metal. In the old days instead of replaceable bearing inserts babbitt metal was used as a bearing such as axles among other things. When it get's worn out they would melt out the old babbitt and melt & pour in new material. Where the old metal hits the rough ground and cools it often looks exactly like your picture. It was also used in automotive applications as well. It's usually an alloy of lead, tin, and possibly some other metals. I can almost guarantee this is what you have. Here's a large chunk I found near a railroad repair depot. Hope this helps

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tamaco

Oct 16, 2013
southwest
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter 2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are exactly right NHBandit. I went ahead and took a small blow torch to it, and some of the blob melted. Some did not. Man, there is so much knowledge on these forums!!

Thanks Again!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Were you near a place that had railroad activity ? I found a similar lump a few years back that was melted babbitt metal. In the old days instead of replaceable bearing inserts babbitt metal was used as a bearing such as axles among other things. When it get's worn out they would melt out the old babbitt and melt & pour in new material. Where the old metal hits the rough ground and cools it often looks exactly like your picture. It was also used in automotive applications as well. It's usually an alloy of lead, tin, and possibly some other metals. I can almost guarantee this is what you have. Here's a large chunk I found near a railroad repair depot. Hope this helps
Glad I opened this thread.Congrats on your finds tamaco,not bad for a newbie! I too found a blob much like what you found Bandit same place I found the. Ack to an old Railroad Timekeeper Pocket watch.My chunk of babbit almost looked like it had concrete mixed with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread