Best metal detector from $800 to $1000 max

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab Safari if you want to spend $1,000.00 or, Tesoro Vaquero if you just want to spend $450.00. Good Luck to you!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get a nice used Etrac for around a grand, or I second Terry on the Safari new. Always contact vendors on here first before you buy new, they often have better pricing than most stores. Bart at Big Boys has a fine reputation here. There are a lot of good deals on craigslist or ebay on used machines, often with some warranty left.

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab Safari or Xterra 705 would both fit the bill in that price range.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second the t2se, great deal with two coils for $899. I did'nt think the minelabs were heavy until I started using the t2. The 705 and the vaq have head phone plugs in the worst place you could pick to put them. I own both and the t2 with the plug under your elbow and the trigger for ground balance and pinpoint is by far more user friendly.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definetly as 705 my opinion

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
What's a great metal detector from $800 to $1000 Max for jewelry coins and relics not really using it for the beach Texas soil

I recently purchased a Minelab Safari (package deal) from a dealer in Chicago. Ron at "Windy City Metal Detectors". He was absolutely great. I not only got the great Minelab Safari :metaldetector: for $999, which ended up costing me only $750 because it was a refurbished machine, but also got a Garrett Pro Pointer, Grey Ghost Headphones, Lesche Digger, Minelab Carrying/Storage bag all included with the deal. Some dealers will throw in some Cracker Jack toys and other stuff to make you feel warm and fuzzy all over, but I think we can all agree, Ron gave me one :censored: of a deal. :icon_thumleft::tongue3:

Chris in BC

Mar 19, 2003
Langley
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Keene 5" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to the detecting world, I did a ton of research before buying my machine. It is very hard to determine where the better value lies when you dont have clean information at times, I know from the hunting world if you were to ask a public forum what the best overall hunting rifle is, 80% of the replies would be guys puffing out the chest and stating what they own as the best with no real comparison or reasoning. I had to discount a ton of information on the best metal detector for my needs. I looked at non-biased reports from guys on this site and weighted them accordingly as most informative. I feel as though I lucked out with my purchase, pretty sure I chose the best detector for what I want to do with one. The learning curve has been easy, the results are great - as in just a few weeks I have filled a small mason jar with coins and trinkets, my dig success rate of treasure to trash is now around 80% to the treasure side and I am super happy with that. Listen to the guys that seem to have real world comparisons and offer factual info. Once you water down all the posts to what your looking for in a machine, the choice becomes a little easier. Best of luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread