Why did I give up...

Rs25subaru

Mar 5, 2013
Northampton, Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love hobbies... Who doesn't? Ive been through nitro and electric R/C cars, model building, reef aquariums (which I now work in that field for a living) and metal detecting. Back in March of last year I bought my first MD; a fisher F2. I read reviews for days trying to pick the "cheapest" best MD... I was so excited the day it arrived! For the next few months I was out every day I could! I found tons of clad, a few wheaties, a silver earring and a 10k gold ring whith what I assume is a .25 karat diamond (never had it appraised and I still have it). But then by June for some reason I wasn't interested, no clue why... To be honest I felt odd, a bit embarassed being out in a park just doin my thing, I felt people woul give me BS for digging, even though I dug perfect plugs. So long story short I sold my F2 on Craigslist for about half of what I paid for it. Now today... Why did I ever quit? I want to buy another metal detector but it can't be at any worse of a time as I am about to move out and get an apartment with my GF and money is very tight. I'm dying to give it another go I feel as I went to gung-ho too fast and it burnt me out, probably because I was hungry for my next ring... I'm very regretful now :/

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya once your bitten by the TH'ing bug there's no walking away, you can try but you keep coming back!
As for feeling embarrassed, I felt that way in the beginning, but now I don't care what they say or think, just don't get in my way while I'm chasing down what could be my next gold or silver signal!
I also wear headphones so it is my choice if I "want" to hear them or not, I can I just choose not to! Lol!
Hopefully your GF will want to detect too!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most detectorists "hit the wall" at one time or another and put the detecting on hold until they get the itch again. Usually it happens after a dry spell when nothing good is found or during really crummy weather time. You start doing something else of interest and you put detecting on the back burner. It helps to hunt with someone else who will push you to get out and do it. Of course, there is nothing like success that will get the old juices flowing again! Just don't sell your equipment the next time you get into a funk!:laughing7:

Markomyt1

Dec 1, 2013
Cheyenne, WY
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom III
AT PRO Woot!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better yet, Stage it so your Girlfriend is there when you pull the Diamond Ring out of the ground!

Keep Digging!

OP
OP
R

Rs25subaru

Mar 5, 2013
Northampton, Pa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well im using my other hobby to pay for a new detector!! I culture corals and sell fragments, ive also made up my mind im gooing to go with another F2 because I learned that machine. I know when its acting up and for the most part I can predict what its telling me (dime, quarter, etc) What are the benefits to an F4? would it be worth it for me to upgrade??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread