Advice/poll on most important features

Flex68

Dec 10, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently researching to buy
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been reading here for about a month, now, trying to decide on what detector to purchase.
I have learned quite a bit, but still feel as though I may be no closer to making a decision....lots to take into account!

For that reason, I am posting to ask for ratings/rankings of what everyone considers the most important features to look for on a MD....in my particular situation, I expect that I will be doing mostly land detecting, with perhaps a couple weeks at the beach each year.
Also thinking that I will be looking to invest around $600 in a detector, with priority on coin shooting, hunting parks, tot lots, old home sites, and a few CW encampments.

With that in mind---- and I hope that is sharing enough info---- how would you rank the importance of the following:

Multiple VLF freq's
Notch discrimination
Manual ground balance
DD versus concentric coil
Waterproof coil
Changing/multiple coils
Other important options I have failed to include?

And, the question that I am sure that everyone is tired of seeing posted (Sorry!):
What detector at or around $600 (new or used) would offer most or all of the above?

Many thanks to all who are willing to respond and offer assistance in my buying decision!

Upvote 0

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the major detector dealers have detectors that fit that description. Question is which one are you more comfortable or confident using, which is the best fit for you? I would suggest getting your hands on some and trying them out, from a friend, dealer, etc. Take your list of where and what you want to search, and features you want and visit some of the dealers if you can. Or join a detecting club, you may get members to show you how theirs works and let you try it.
Hope this helps.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New multifreq machines in that price range....Minelab 505, or save a bit more to get a 705 or a Fisher CZ3D. You may get lucky and find a used Explorer or E-trac in that price range also. You can get other coils for those machines so it really doesn't matter what they come with.

40ton

May 5, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Multiple VLF freq's= I don't think there is a $600 machine that has this
Notch discrimination= A nice feature but you will loose depth with disc.
Manual ground balance= nice but not essential
DD versus concentric coil= depends on your soil/ or beach hunting
Waterproof coil= must have
Changing/multiple coils= almost all machines are capable

Other features worth considering: iron discrimination, fast processor.
A gold bug or g2 is on my list as a next purchase or maybe ill spring for an F75.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
MANY detectors fit your $600 budget. I have never owned a Tesoro product but would recommend it as it carries a lifetime warranty.... and my buddy Terry Soloman uses and recommends them. Lightweight would be a reason to pick a certain brand/model. If it's too big and heavy, you may get tired of using it. TTC

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arm hurts after a few hours with a 3lb machine..

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't focus on individual features. Figure out what you want to hunt for, where you want to hunt, THEN find the detector best suited to that. What works best in Colorado, may not be the best in Kansas, or Florida, etc.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There aren't many any lighter than three pounds....
That was the point.. depends on your arm and size.. if you can't swing it, don't matter what the feature are ..unless it is has an auto levitation and swing feature. Or you buy one of those harness things..

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gold Bug 2 is 2.7 pounds and its direct competitor, the GMT weighs 3.7 pounds. Gold Bug advertises its weight but the last I checked, the GMT does not. TTC

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
top of the list has to be a beer holder, or don't buy it

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
South West Virginia. Let's see, mineralized soil so manual ground balancing is a must have. Multiple VLF freq's? Not in your price range (about $1,000.00 to start) nd not a neccessity for land hunting. Notch discrimination? You bet! Everybody gets tired of digging in All Metal. Does it hurt your depth? Yes and no. It really depends on your soil, machine, and coil size. DD versus concentric coil? Well, in 90-percent of land hunting, conentric coils are deeper and more sensitive - BUT, in hot (mineralized soil) a DD coil can be an advantage. It really depends what and where you are digging. Waterproof coil? A must! From heavy dew, to shallow puddles and creeks, you need a waterproof coil. Changing or multiple coils? Yes! Different situations call for different coils! From 5.75" "Joey" coils, to 12'x10" deep seekers, multiple coil capability is a must. Other important options? Weight; toughness/duribility; Warranty; Made in the U.S.A.; Dealer support; Repair Turn-Around Time!

Your best choice at $450.00? The Tesoro Vaquero Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water. At $550.00? The Tesoro Outlaw Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water.

And YES, I am prejudiced. I know the Arizonan's that make and designed these machines. I use them, I trust them, I find treasure with them. Best of luck!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree pretty much with Terry, especially on the manual ground balance (or true auto ground tracking) either or. It can make a real difference in some locations. I prefer a discrimination knob over notch discrimination, but that's just me. The ability to change coils takes care of the DD versus concentric question as you can have a mix in your arsenal. Whatever you get, put in as many hours early on as you can because familiarity with the machine is very helpful and that's the way to learn it.
luvsdux

OP
OP
F

Flex68

Dec 10, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow!
I wasn't able to get back online until now....just wanted to thank each of you for your responses; much appreciated.
I will read thru each of them again, and try to get my ducks in a row so that I can pull the trigger on something soon.

HH

OP
OP
F

Flex68

Dec 10, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I seem to find myself leaning towards the X-Terra 705, even tho I have no intent to hunt any gold.....still a good all-around choice for a land detector in SW Virginia?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seem to find myself leaning towards the X-Terra 705, even tho I have no intent to hunt any gold.....still a good all-around choice for a land detector in SW Virginia?

Yes the 705 is a nice detector, But I also lean toward the Tesoro's. I use them and love the amount of treasure I find. NRAILA1.JPG

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would add the pin pointing feature to the list. It makes your digging time quicker as well as the holes you dig smaller.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
F2. It does not have manual gb adjustment but everything else is in the F2. A top of the line tecter at 1500 or 3000 dollars or more, or even a five or six hundred dollar machine, certainly is nice to have, but the most important thing is actually learning detecting which is kinda tough. If you want to jump in head first, look at atpro, m6, xterra series, and the awesome tesoro's. All easy to learn. You cant go wrong with any of these.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

Flex68

Dec 10, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Want to again offer my thanks for the responses; I surely appreciate them.

It does seem the Tesoro has respect in the majority of specific responses, here.....

lol, as soon as I think I might have an idea of the direction I want to go, I have to stop and reconsider!

Started out thinking a Garrett ACE 350... local guy offers strong support for a White's MXT... then I think that I might do well going with the Minelab X-Terra 705... now the preponderance of responses seem to support the Tesoro.

Is it any wonder that noobs don't have a clue which way to go??

Being dumb ain't easy!!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Whatever you buy, dont look at the screen. You dont care what the screen shows. You care what your ears hear, at least for now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread