Looking for the best !!

TXRandy

Dec 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to do quite a bit of metal detecting back in the day but have been out of the game for about 20 years now! I'm getting the fever again and want to get back into the hobby. I've used different detectors, White's, Fisher, Compass, and one or two others but now I don't know what to get. I'm looking for opinions from you good people on what you would say is the best detector to buy in this day and time. I mainly am interested in relic hunting but coin shooting and beach hunting are in the mix too. Let me know your ideas and thoughts on this please. If you recommend a particular detector, please tell me why you feel it is the best!

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is no ONE detector for beach and land detecting, although some say the Minelab CTX 3030 comes close. You have your multi-frequency machines (Minelab E-Trac / CTX 3030 - Fisher CZ 21), and you have beach pulse induction machines (Whites, Tesoro, Garrett). Then you have some great relic machines like the Minelab GTX 5000, the Tesoro Tejon and Lobo Super Trac. You need to think multiple machines for different jobs, like multiple golf clubs for drives, chips, and putts.

The above is just my opinion, and you are about to get a whole lot more - Best of luck!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to argue with what Terry has to say. The key info we would need is whether you need to have a waterproof (read submersible) detector or not. If so, it severely limits your options.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would recommend test driving if at all possible. Nothing worse than surprises.

Msdigger22

Jan 4, 2014
hazelhurst Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Xp deus ,minelab safari, whites mx5, fisher f70 ,Garrett at pro, ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U can't go wrong with the at pro waterproof to 10ft and is a pretty deep machine don't know how well it works on the beach but on land it's a beast for the price u can get them new in the box for just over 500 don't pay retail unless u want all the extras oh the 5x8 coil is great in the trash from what I hear I don't have it but would love to get it

Garrett At pro and pro pointer

Bersis

Jan 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,..i have been using gti2500 and c scope long time by now,but im seen some other detector in the market called aka signum,it looks very interesting,i think i will get it very soon too...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem, is there is no single BEST detector. There are great beach and water detectors, there are great coin detectors, relic hunters, and gold hunters. But everything is a tradeoff. What makes a model excel in one type of hunting often aren't desirable for others.

If you are mainly dirt hunting, with a little dabbling in the other areas, I would recommend the CTX, although it is VERY expensive.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome!
Make up a list of the types of hunting you want to do, what you need the detector to do for you, exp.- light weight, turn on & go, meter or not, etc. then try to test drive a few to see how they work for you. GL. HH!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detectors are like golf clubs, you don't drive with a putter and you don't putt with a driver...

3%

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM

MALO PERICULOSAM, LIBERTATEM QUAM QUIETAM SERVITUTEM

We will NOT go quietly into the night!

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
That's a tough question without a price range. What are you thinking of spending? True the ctx3030 and etrac are killer units but if your budget is $750.00, that's irrelevant. What's the most you would consider spending?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a tough question without a price range. What are you thinking of spending? True the ctx3030 and etrac are killer units but if your budget is $750.00, that's irrelevant. What's the most you would consider spending?
You can usually find a used E-trac in that range.....that should be relevant......and except for deep water hunting, it's an excellent all around machine.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd jump on the deus xp wagon fully wireless very light, super fast great in iron & ull need a good shovel there a deep seeking machine

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread