Lets Talk Headphones.....

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Let's Talk Headphones.....

I use a Whites M6 as well as a Minelab Safari and do 90% of my detecting at the beach. While I usually spend countless hours researching machines before I buy one, I usually just grab a pair of $25.00 Sony headphones from Best Buy when I need some. They always seem to work just fine always thought "a beep is a beep so what's the big deal?"

Recently I was listening to a blog where the topic was "Equipment Modifications". There was a lot of time devoted to headphones .... A lot of time. There was actually enough discussion and information that I started to reconsider this once trivial subject.

I would like to hear what people here think. How important are they really?
What's the best brand?
Whites and Minelab both offer branded headphones, are they worthwhile?
Will an investment of $100.00+ in a pair of headphones specifically designed for metal detecting actually help increase my finds?

I'd be interested in hearing what people have to say : )

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
TreasureCoastEric,

As a fellow ML Safari owner, I have recently give you some helpful hints on coin/jewelry mode settings for coin and jewelry hunting on the beach. I'm not sure if you used those settings or have gotten a chance to do so, but I hope they served you well.
On the headphones question. I have used a premium pair of Skull Candy Gold Earbuds up until recently. I am now using the "Grey Ghost" headphones. I will possibly still use the earbuds in the hot summer weather, but for now the Grey Ghosts not only assure a clean crisp sound for signals, but also provide wind protection and warmth for my ears. You don't neccessarily have to worry about the cold on your ears, where you are hunting, but if you are beach hunting the Grey Ghosts or a comparable brand will help block out the outside interferring sounds like the surf, seagulls squawking, tourists noise, etc for those whisper signals and clear tones you won't want to miss.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They work great for MD. They block 30+ DB of outside noise and as such you do not need them turned up very loud to hear clearly.
The newer versions have heavier wires which is an improvement (I have a pair of HF2 for my phone) but they are not heavy duty like MD head phones wires. If you can stand to wear the big ear muff head phone I think they will hold up much better. If you can not stand the on your head, in-ear with a good volume control is the way to go..

My Koss phones get knocked off easily, an irritation; especially in brush. I'll try my ER4s. Thanks for the input.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My Koss phones get knocked off easily, an irritation; especially in brush. I'll try my ER4s. Thanks for the input.

When I received my E-Trac, it came with a pair of Koss phones. They were CHEAP, came apart easily and DID NOT have volume control.

I don't have them now.....

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm liking the tdk's a lot I went out today with them using the,minelabe 705 was a bit windy & cold the headphones were very clear & I noticed a couple deep signals that I don't thinkvi would have heard without headphones on. Another thing I liked the foam on the ear cuffs were & stayed very soft even after gettin cold, I know other ones would have started to get hard these did not. I'm also thinking mayb the sound is so good because they are like made for other devices that play movies & things so they need to be working well,also they blocked a lot of outside noise so I could hear the signals

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I received my E-Trac, it came with a pair of Koss phones. They were CHEAP, came apart easily and DID NOT have volume control.

Yeah, I don't understand why Minelab pairs such crappy phones with their machines. I don't even plan on unwrapping the Koss phones that came with my CTX. Unfortunately that means I will have to drop some bucks for a new set so I can leave my old Killer B's with my E-Trac.

What I want to find is a good set of lightweight phones for summer use. I hate having to clear the sweat out of the big ones when summer hunting.

Flex68

Dec 10, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently researching to buy
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Regarding the posts about the TDK wr700s , I am not knocking them, nor have I ever tried them.
(I sound like a 'Time for Timer' PSA from the 70's: "Don't knock it 'till you try it / put a little on your plate / don't make a face before you taste it /some kids think it's great!")

But, anyhoo, the TDK's are "on-ear" earphones.... tho they look lightweight and comfortable, I was just thinking that they might not provide the same level of noise cancellation or clarity as an "around-ear" style. (?)

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding the posts about the TDK wr700s , I am not knocking them, nor have I ever tried them.
(I sound like a 'Time for Timer' PSA from the 70's: "Don't knock it 'till you try it / put a little on your plate / don't make a face before you taste it /some kids think it's great!")

But, anyhoo, the TDK's are "on-ear" earphones.... tho they look lightweight and comfortable, I was just thinking that they might not provide the same level of noise cancellation or clarity as an "around-ear" style. (?)

Well I can tell you from using the whites spectra ones & the deus xp backbones
Clarity is very nice, they block out a lot more of outside noise then I thought they would by just looking at them I think its because the ear cups are very soft so when wearing them they form right to ur ear blocking the outside noise & given u a very nice sounding experience. Now I'm using my phone at the moment so not sure but if ur close to me I dont mind meeting up & you can see for yourself What I'm saying. If ur detector doesn't offer wireless & u want some give these a try you won't be dissatisfied at all

Flex68

Dec 10, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently researching to buy
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well I can tell you from using the whites spectra ones & the deus xp backbones
Clarity is very nice, they block out a lot more of outside noise then I thought they would by just looking at them I think its because the ear cups are very soft so when wearing them they form right to ur ear blocking the outside noise & given u a very nice sounding experience. Now I'm using my phone at the moment so not sure but if ur close to me I dont mind meeting up & you can see for yourself What I'm saying. If ur detector doesn't offer wireless & u want some give these a try you won't be dissatisfied at all

Thanks, christo000.
If we lived closer I would happily take you up on ur offer, but definitely appreciate the info.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem, all I can say is I'm happy with them & will continue to use em, I will say if u find a cheap pair give em a shot hh all

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I detected up a pair - busted up and buried. Yours? :laughing7:

DiggerD

Tenderfoot
Jun 23, 2013
Ottawa
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3300 w/4/8/10 inch coils. Garrett Propointer and AT Pro with 8x11 & 5x8 DD coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I ordered a set of Gray Ghost Amphibians for my new AT Pro. They have a constant hum in the background. I sent them back for replacement and the new set has the same hum? Anyone else have this problem? The Garrett land headphones sound fine so I don't think it's the detector. Unfortunately I can't get DetectorPro to answer their phone. I may return them and get the standard blue waterproof headphones from Garrett. Anyone have any experience with those?

OP
OP
treasurecoasteric

treasurecoasteric

Jan 6, 2014
Not me, but I don't have the amphibious model. Dispute the charge on your card ...... They'll get on the phone.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
They are closed on Mondays, And Gary will gladly refund your money, He is, one of the best. I have returned 7 sets in the last few months and all have been unquestioned.

On the back ground noise, have you tried any other underwater headphones? They are totally different then land headphones. I would try the Garretts and see, I have used both and both are designed the same internally, other then we put a small PCB in them to allow them to shut off the speaker of the AT Pro, and Gold. Keep us informed on the Garretts, they are not as comfortable but as loud, but with out volume control. I can say the Skullies I designed, a few have had the same issue and it was EMI from the detector, but I don't believe those would do the same. One thing about Piezo's, one will power the other if there is any type of vibration.

Last edited:

DiggerD

Tenderfoot
Jun 23, 2013
Ottawa
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3300 w/4/8/10 inch coils. Garrett Propointer and AT Pro with 8x11 & 5x8 DD coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies guys, maybe I need to return the AT Pro for exchange? Simply not usable with the buzz and from what I've heard about the Garrett's being so loud to the point of causing headaches ... I would rather avoid those. Damn frustrating.

DiggerD

Tenderfoot
Jun 23, 2013
Ottawa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want to be able to go underwater so can't use the regular ones for that. Don't have the Garrett blues to test.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to be able to go underwater so can't use the regular ones for that. Don't have the Garrett blues to test.
I have a set of the Garrett waterproof HP's and they work fine.The only downfall I have found is it seems like the cord is shorter but it's probably just because they are still new and it will stretch (relax) some after more use.

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies guys, maybe I need to return the AT Pro for exchange? Simply not usable with the buzz and from what I've heard about the Garrett's being so loud to the point of causing headaches ... I would rather avoid those. Damn frustrating.

If the stock headphones do not have the hum I doubt it's the detector. Maybe a bad batch of headphones?

DiggerD

Tenderfoot
Jun 23, 2013
Ottawa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
@Back-of-the-boat, thanks for your comment as I will have to get some of the Garretts. It has been determined that the hum is happening on all the AT Pro International versions. They work fine on the U.S. model though. Apparently there is more of a difference between the two models of detectors than the inches and centimeter scales on the display. I have been advised to return them for a refund at this time. Hopefully DetectorPro will solve this problem in the future although by then I will have spent my money on the Garretts.

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
It has been determined that the hum is happening on all the AT Pro International versions

Keep us informed on this, Me I would almost bet your going to have the same issue with the Garretts, they contain all of the same guts, other then the small PCB to turn off the speaker on the machine. Please post your findings when you get the Garretts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions